Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Schools in Manchester UK

amother

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 10:56 am
What information can you tell me about Broughton Jewish, Jewish Day and Lubavitch. This is for a boy. Any information good and bad please.

I would like to know academically how they are in Kodesh and Chol. What tone are they? Positive? Open Minded? Judgemental? How welcoming and open they are and also to Lubavitchers. I understand B.J has a number of Lubavitchers would anyone know about Jewish Day? And if so are they welcoming of them? How Charedi is J.D? Are the Rebbe's open minded? Is the Chol good? Is it state aided? I hear Lubavitch is very small and not the most stable. Is that true?

Are there any other schools? We are looking for a Frum but more open minded school. One that wont balk at internet. One that encourages academics and personal growth. A state aided school. A school where a Lubavitch boy would fit in and be welcome. Also what is registration like and how soon do you need to apply.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 12:24 pm
From reading your post my first thought would be BJ.

I will say I am not an expert in the school situation in Manchester I can only tell you what I know from immediate family (many of which are involved in BJ and others who send to JD).

Jewish day is more frum. You will probably have an issue with the internet thing it seems that in recent years they are becoming more and more strict as well as with parents dress codes, etc.
Broughton Jewish is a state aided school. The older classes are separate for kodesh and mixed for chol (IIRC) but they are on a strict curriculum and from what I know and hear from family who sent there, is a pretty great school.
They are definitely open to Lubavtichers (Jewish day is probably too but I am guessing from the more frummer/chasidish ones).

As for lubavitch, I don't know much about it other than a friend who told me she went there and hated it. Hopefully someone who lives in manchester will chime in. Good Luck!

amother

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 11:24 pm
I jus found this thread and wondered if the Op was still looking for information. Just in case you are, I will offer my knowledge! I lived in Manchester for all of my childhood, family members of mine went through broughton jewish and jewish day too. I used to teach in BJ, and my kids went there too. I do not live in manchester anymore. I also taught in OYY lubavitch at one point in my life.
I am very pro- BJ and that will probably come across in this post.

DISCLAIMER - My info might be slightly out of date, but I hve tons of friends and family in Manchester who keep me up to date, so it is probably pretty accurate even if I dont live there anymore...

1) about lubavich - it is small and not very stable, some classes are bigger than others. I have friends who sent their boys to BJ, tehn moved them to lubavith, thenback to BJ because they were disappintedby the level of chol education adn the small school laid back atmosphere.

2) about jewihs day - I loved it as a child, it has since grown bigger and is less personal I think, but everyone I knw who is there is satisfied. Like BJ it is state-aided and is offering a good chol education. Problems you might have with jewish day - I am sure I heard that you have to sign that you dont have internet except for work. Also, if they dont like the way you dress, or your husband, if you are not yesihvish, if he doesnt always wear a hat, if you dress modern, they might not accept you anyway, they are a bit picky. Also, dont know if it still applies, but about ten years ago I knew chabad kids who were teased in school in jewish day.

3) Great educaation in chol, kodesh is not as strong as jewish day because they have a bit less time for kodesh lessons. Fantastic teachers and rebbeim (see, I knew I would end up sounding pro- BJ!) I know because I worked with them and my kids were there too. Internet is not a problem, there are quite a lot of lubavich kids, not the most heisse lubavichers, they are inOYY LUBavicth, but perhaps mainly the more modern lubavitch families send to BJ. in general BJ is a more modern school, its ethos is a bit more MO,even tho not officially mentioned on their website. There are parents whose homes u would not want your kids to go to, for kashrus, tznius and TV reasons. There are mothers who do not cover hair and some who wear pants. it is a real mixture of kids.

hope this is helpful if you are still looking for moreinfo. I will keep an eye on this thread in case you are still on here and have more questions to ask.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 11:25 pm
Sorry I am teh previous amother, the school I was talking about in point number three was broughton jewish.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 3:24 am
I am not lubavitch. I send my daughter to Broughton Jewish. She is only in nursery but I am really really happy with the school and have to say I have yet to meet a parent (of older kids also) who isn't.

JD wouldn't have worked for us anyway because as mentioned above they are picky about things like white shirts for men and no denim for women and to be quite frank I have no time for things like that. It is also very over subscribed so they are even more picky than they used to be. But from what I hear it is a good school.

You will get a range of hashkafas at BJ though I think it is getting more RIght wing than it used to be, possibly due to people unable to get into JD coming there. It is also a growing school.

I think ultimately they are both good schools but one is much more chareidi in outlook than the other. Good luck with whatever you choose do!

mummy123

Post Fri, Feb 07 2014, 7:20 am
Sounds like Broughton Jewish may be the one for you. From what I hear Lubavitch isn't so stable. I don't know of many kids in Jewish Day who are Lubavitch but I do know there are some in Broughton Jewish.
Our options were Jewish Day or Broughton Jewish and we have chosen Broughton Jewish for the reasons amother about mentioned. My husband doesn't wear white shirts during the week etc etc. My son will be starting the next academic year and I'm sure its the right decision.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 16 2014, 7:24 pm
New another. I want to hear everything about JD. How hard is it to get in especially in the middle of school? What hashkafic background are most families? What are the staff like? How do the boys behave? And anything else you think I need to know. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics