Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Questions for professional makeup artists

wereafamily

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 10:43 am
My sister would like to study to be a makeup artist - I'm wondering what steps would you recommend regarding training? She has read many books and watched free tutorials online and honestly I think she is great where she stands, but she would like to do a lot more than just peoples faces for simchas...

Any advice, guidance or recommendations you can offer would be much appreciated Very Happy

TIA!!

Heyaaa

Post Sun, Jan 05 2014, 12:45 pm
I took a makeup course from a chareidi woman. It was really expensive and I hardly gained anything. I thought with the money I paid I would both learn a ton of information and I would get a nice stash of makeup. I got neither. I did learn the real basics though. I watch a lot of youtube videos and although I learn many new styles from youtube, I learned the real basics from the class. I suggest she take a makeup course but DO RESEARCH. A lot. The classes will teach you more than what you can learn from youtube. Especially if she wants to do more than just simcha makeup, she needs to know every style and why different colors go together and with what personality and with what outfit and for which event, etc. All that you learn from a class, not from youtube. Also, practice on everyone you know.

wereafamily

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 10:53 am
Heyaaa wrote:
I took a makeup course from a chareidi woman. It was really expensive and I hardly gained anything. I thought with the money I paid I would both learn a ton of information and I would get a nice stash of makeup. I got neither. I did learn the real basics though. I watch a lot of youtube videos and although I learn many new styles from youtube, I learned the real basics from the class. I suggest she take a makeup course but DO RESEARCH. A lot. The classes will teach you more than what you can learn from youtube. Especially if she wants to do more than just simcha makeup, she needs to know every style and why different colors go together and with what personality and with what outfit and for which event, etc. All that you learn from a class, not from youtube. Also, practice on everyone you know.

I agree and that's why we are wondering what steps would you recommend regarding training? Did you hear of any good schools?

chaos

Post Mon, Jan 06 2014, 8:54 pm
The Powder Group offers courses and networking for seasoned makeup artists and those that are just starting out. I noticed that they have a Makeup 101 course that's on Shabbat, but your sister could try networking with the other makeup artist to find other courses that don't conflict with Shabbat.

The Powder Group

Empire Beauty School has makeup artistry and cosmetology courses. They have many locations.

Web Page Namehttp://www.empire.edu/

wereafamily

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 8:47 am
chaos wrote:
The Powder Group offers courses and networking for seasoned makeup artists and those that are just starting out. I noticed that they have a Makeup 101 course that's on Shabbat, but your sister could try networking with the other makeup artist to find other courses that don't conflict with Shabbat.

The Powder Group

Empire Beauty School has makeup artistry and cosmetology courses. They have many locations.

Web Page Namehttp://www.empire.edu/

Thanks for sharing! Will pass it on - did you go to artistry schooling?

chaos

Post Tue, Jan 07 2014, 6:51 pm
No, I am not a makeup artist and I have never been to makeup artistry school.

I learned about The Powder Group from a professional aesthetician. When I was looking for hair and makeup artist for my wedding, she recommended the regional listings on The Powder Group website to me. I was just looking through the site and it looks like it could have some helpful educational and networking opportunities for your sister.

I have heard of Empire Beauty School and seen locations. I don't have any personal experience nor do I know of anyone who went there. I just know that they have many locations and offer courses.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics