Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nursing school advise

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 3:25 pm
I really need some advise. Basically, I have a BA from TTI (excelsior) and I want to start nursing. I am not sure what to do. Do I go get an associated and then get a rn to bsn? Do I take the prerequisites and pray I get into a accelerated bsn ( afraid my tti diploma will be worthless and I won't get in) or do I just start from the beginning and do all 4 years of a BSN. I need to know fast. Any ideas?????

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 6:03 pm
Anyone????

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 6:21 pm
try for the BSN or even an MSN!

there are MSN programs

hatzlocha

mommyto3RN

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 6:35 pm
are you in brooklyn? go to any nursing school and ask what you can do...I'm in touros nursing school they have now a bachelors program I am however in the associate program but for me will bh be faster bc I have all liberal arts classes for the bachelors program...if you have all liberal arts they require would take you 3 yrs for the bachelors. there are no pre reqs to get into the program except the nln pre nursing exam which is like math science ect...there are I think school that do accelorated if you have a bachelors just check what school does it and if theyll accept what you have!!

good luck

amothertoo

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 6:51 pm
My husband just graduated an accelerated BSN program. He also had a bachelors from Excelsior/ TTI. For his specific program, he has to take 5 prereqs, which he did at a local community college in less then a year. He scored an A in all of his prereqs and had no problem getting into an accelerated BSN program. I think at your point it would only make sense to try for an accelerated BSN program. To go back and get an associate degree in nursing (which alone is btw not going to get you very far) would take you a lot of unnessecary time, considering you already have a bachelors degree. Research all the accelerated BSN programs around your area, see what you need to get in and make sure to get good grades and hopefully (with hashems help) you'll get in and have a BSN in 1-1.5 years.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:02 pm
Which program did he go to? Also did he take all those jewish credits for tti? I am afraid they will want those transcripts

amothertoo

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:08 pm
New Jersey City University. all his credits except for like 9 were from gemara Smile They really only care about your pre reqs. Its a second degree program so it doesn't matter what your first degree is in.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:13 pm
Is that a good school? Was it expensive? Colombia has a bs/ms program that takes 2.5 years but at the end you are a nurse practitioner

amothertoo

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:14 pm
It's 30,000. Its a decent school. In terms of getting a jobi t really doesn't matter what school you go too and like most degrees you learn the most on the job. Its 12 month program with two 3 weeks breaks.

mommyto3RN

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:15 pm
it's all good to do quick programs but in the end you have to know what your doing...2.5 yrs and then being an np is a little fast I think esp with all the thing np can like prescribe meds and all I personally think more experience is needed...and a lot of clinical hours need to be put in to become an np...are you sure that program is for someone without a current nursing degree?

mommyto3RN

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:19 pm
but then again go for whatever is fast and best for you...just be ready for the work Smile

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:20 pm
Yes, you get you BA in 12 months and then another 1.5 for your masters. It's Colombia, not some shady program. The only issue is my fear of not getting in and the cost. Around 135,000 for the whole thing

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:21 pm
Did ur Dh get a job after?

mommyto3RN

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:23 pm
wow thats expensive...if saves time then may be worth it...only issue is ba in 12 months means probably no liberal arts stuff just nursing classes and I'm doing nursing in 2 years lol can't imagine to do it any faster it's not super easy but if you have the right support def go for it.

I thought my school was expensive we pay 8,000/semester, the new students that just came in now pay 12,000 a semster.

amothertoo

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:24 pm
It will be hard to find a NP job with no clinical experience and columbias program is very hard to get into. 28/30 pple in my husbands class have job in hospitals already from NJCU.

amothertoo

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:25 pm
sorry I meant 18/30

amother

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:28 pm
What school do u go to?

mommyto3RN

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 7:31 pm
touro

eschaya

Post Wed, Jan 08 2014, 8:13 pm
There are many accelerated RN programs (both bsn and msn) that can be done fairly quickly. True, your b.a. is not worth much, but all the accelerated programs require prerequisites, so if you do really well on those prerequisites they will likely not look to deeply at your b.a.
I had a Thomas Edison degree (not through maalot though), but then I got A's in every prerequisite I took, so b"h I had no trouble getting into University of Maryland's cnl program (a generalist masters) which I was able to do in 16 months. Best decision I ever made. And since it's a state school, the tuition is much less than some of the numbers being bandied around here (around $25K for the masters degree). Then B'H I had a job even before I graduated.
If at all possible I would recommend going straight for a bsn since there are many hospitals that do not hire adn's anymore, and since the job market for new grads is tough enough as it is, do yourself a favor and start ahead (if it's possible for you).
Hatzlacha. You can pm me for info if you want.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics