Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Binah or Ami Living?
1  2  3  Next

Which do you read more often - Binah or ami Living?
Binah  
 50%  [ 62 ]
Ami Living  
 49%  [ 60 ]
Total Votes : 122

whoami

Post Fri, Jan 10 2014, 11:44 am
I am looking to advertise in either the Binah or Ami Living. I am curious more from Out of Towners, than Brooklyners.

Thanks for the Feedback!

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 7:21 pm
Neither...I read Mishpacha!

I presently live in NY, but I think that when I move back OOT I will continue to read Mishpacha. I think its the best of the 3.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 8:09 pm
I voted Ami but I'm in NY so I just wanted to let you know that.

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 9:36 pm
Another Mishpacha fan here. I think if you're just interested in the female-oriented section, I'd favor Binah, but in general I prefer a magazine like Mishpacha and Ami because they give a more well-rounded content experience - e.g. news/editorial type features, not just "family" things.

Sherri

Post Sat, Jan 11 2014, 9:51 pm
Isn't Ami Living family oriented?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 12:40 pm
I voted Binah and have lived both OOT and in NY. I actually placed ads for a production and found that anything women only got a better response in Binah but anything that's a general product belongs in Mishpacha. Ami got weakest response but that was 6 months ago so things could've changed.

whoami

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 7:49 pm
Thank you very much for your replies. It is helping me formulate my ad campaign.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 11:24 pm
Personally I think the binah is geared towards Boro park woman that want to be sheltered. They only write articles on a very low level of intelligence and never write about anything controversial.

The ami writes more sensational Articles.
I would advertise in the ami first then misphacha and last the binah.
Most people oot want the truth.

Sherri

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 11:29 pm
Maybe the readership of one of the mags respond to ads more than the readers of another regardless of the target audience of the magazines.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 11:31 pm
I don't think oot would even buy binah.

When I was in Florida the store only sd ami and misphacha.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 1:05 am
I live in Philly and get Binah and Mishpacha weekly and Ami for Yom Tov. I like the content in Mishpacha better than Binah but I love the recipes in Binah far more than Mishpacha or Ami (and I'm also an Etka Gitel fan!) Having said that, I think the ads in Binah catch my eye more or maybe it's just because they're more concentrated. I don't know. I don't think I buy based on ads alone anyway but just saying.

kima

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 1:12 am
We get them both, but prefer Binah.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 1:18 am
amother wrote:
Personally I think the binah is geared towards Boro park woman that want to be sheltered. They only write articles on a very low level of intelligence and never write about anything controversial.

The ami writes more sensational Articles.
I would advertise in the ami first then misphacha and last the binah.
Most people oot want the truth.

I think it's unnecessarily mean to call the articles in Binah "very low level of intelligence." You do realize that there are Binah writers on this forum? And the ones I know are pretty intelligent. You don't have to love the magazine's style or editorial choices, but your statement is overly shmeary. You might say that they tend to be very parve and non-controversial (though they have opened up some edgy topics, just seemed to address them in a pretty parve way. I respect that, actually) but to blanketly insult the intelligence of ALL its articles in one fell swoop is pure motzi shem rah.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 1:51 am
seeker wrote:
I think it's unnecessarily mean to call the articles in Binah "very low level of intelligence." You do realize that there are Binah writers on this forum? And the ones I know are pretty intelligent. You don't have to love the magazine's style or editorial choices, but your statement is overly shmeary. You might say that they tend to be very parve and non-controversial (though they have opened up some edgy topics, just seemed to address them in a pretty parve way. I respect that, actually) but to blanketly insult the intelligence of ALL its articles in one fell swoop is pure motzi shem rah.

Actually, it's a pretty accurate assessment. Binah is mostly fluff and very little substance.
If someone wants to know for parnassah purposes, I think it's acceptable to say that.

saramalka

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 3:04 am
I prefer the Ami over the other two

gold21

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 6:54 am
Neither- Mishpacha is the only one I read, I really like it (I was almost surprised when I realized that I genuinely enjoy reading it, since I had low expectations for a frum publication)

gold21

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 7:01 am
seeker wrote:

She didn't say the writers lack intelligence, just that the articles do. Obviously the articles are written according to what the editors of the magazine want printed. Which is done to cater to their clientele.

I don't know anything about Binah, I dont read it, I have nothing against the magazine at all. I'm just pointing out that saying that an article is dumbed down is not accusing a writer of being dumb; rather, it's accusing a publication of catering to a less educated clientele.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 9:02 am
Thank you gold21 and olive for explaining what I meant.
Binah really caters to the typical Boro park wife who doesn't want to bring outside influences into their home. I think it's great to advertise in it if that's the crowd you want to target but if you want oot people then I don't think that is the magazine to advertise in.
I don't live in bp but when I was making an upsherin and I wanted to buy from stores in bp I looked in the binah.

It really depends what the op is advertising. If she does not live in bp And is selling something that you can get in bp for the same price then the Binah is not for her.

There is so much competition in bp and if her product is comparable why would someone buy from someone who does not live near them when they have 50 stores that sell the same item. Rather op should advertise in a magazine that caters to cities where they don't have her product like the Ami or misphacha.

If op is selling a unique product that they don't sell in bp them she should advertise in the binah.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 12:42 pm
She didn't say an article or author was dumb. What she said was that Binah prints ONLY unintelligent articles, ergo ALL their articles and readers are unintelligent. Note that intelligent is not the opposite of sheltered. It is also not the same as intellectual. There are many ways to communicate demographic information of use to the OP without shaming an entire publication and its readership.

wereafamily

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 12:55 pm
Family First
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room