Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Binah or Ami Living?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Which do you read more often - Binah or ami Living?
Binah  
 50%  [ 62 ]
Ami Living  
 49%  [ 60 ]
Total Votes : 122

Stars

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 4:01 pm
I read both and prefer the Binah.

NY'er here.

das

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 7:09 pm
Never trust anything written on this site about any mags-this site is full of employees and writers for all three mags.

Ask your friends and neighbors.

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 8:22 pm
I currently don't subscribe to any, but I would think that Mishpacha(Family First) has the broadest readership.
Bina does cater to a very specific crowd. Ami likes sensationalism and addresses topics that no other magazines do, but their writing/grammar level also sort of makes them cater to a limited crowd. From what I know Mishpacha caters to all different types.

My views are based on discussions with family and friends, but keep in mind that it really depends on the item that you are advertising. Like another poster mentioned, if it's a "heimishe BP/ Lakewood" item then Binah might be the way to go etc...

Cookies n Cream

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 8:23 pm
das wrote:
Never trust anything written on this site about any mags-this site is full of employees and writers for all three mags.

Ask your friends and neighbors.

Ooc , are you saying that writers are knocking other magazines or promoting their own?

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 9:05 pm
Cookies n Cream wrote:
Ooc , are you saying that writers are knocking other magazines or promoting their own?

It's interesting that OOC says this. I don't know about those who work for other publications but I'd never knock a competition in this sort of forum. I'm not objective. I can tell you if I like a piece or not as a reader but to put down a publication on a forum?

I can tell you what I know about the publication I work for but I don't think Yael or a/one for that matter would appreciate if we'd use this forum as free advertorials for ourselves.

Since I monitor the letters that come in, you can PM me and I can give you a feel for a basic breakdown in readership of Binah and I can tell you what I know.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 10:02 pm
I'm involved a litlte bit in all three magazines and I have my faves with regard to reading quality, but the posters here were spot on with what kind of readership each of the 3 attract...

amother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 10:07 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I'm involved a litlte bit in all three magazines and I have my faves with regard to reading quality, but the posters here were spot on with what kind of readership each of the 3 attract...

Interesting, I am a Bina reader, and do not fall into the readership described. Neither do my friends.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 10:11 pm
ILOVELIFE wrote:
It's interesting that OOC says this. I don't know about those who work for other publications but I'd never knock a competition in this sort of forum. I'm not objective. I can tell you if I like a piece or not as a reader but to put down a publication on a forum?

I can tell you what I know about the publication I work for but I don't think Yael or a/one for that matter would appreciate if we'd use this forum as free advertorials for ourselves.

Since I monitor the letters that come in, you can PM me and I can give you a feel for a basic breakdown in readership of Binah and I can tell you what I know.
I have seen comments by magazine employees on this site- regarding the other publications. Nothing horrible, and not in a section which is point-blank about the advertising, but obviously not objective opinions of the articles here and there. Have you never commented about Mishpacha or Ami here?

Das is right.

Alef Bais

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 10:42 pm
As a reader, I definitely find Ami Living more interesting than Binah.
(I'm from OOT, but I live in Brooklyn.)

P.S. For all you magazine employees reading this: (You know who you are...)

Why is it so hard to get something published in your honorable publications? I have tried several times. I have a collection of rejection letters. Is it something I'm doing wrong?

Just wondering.

Jughead

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 11:38 pm
amother wrote:
I have seen comments by magazine employees on this site- regarding the other publications. Nothing horrible, and not in a section which is point-blank about the advertising, but obviously not objective opinions of the articles here and there. Have you never commented about Mishpacha or Ami here?

Das is right.

ILOVELIFE has posted several complimentary posts about articles or writers in a competing mag. I don't think I have ever read a post from her that was a general discrediting of either Mishpacha or Ami.
When someone has true confidence in oneself and one's work, one doesn't feel the need to knock the competition. ILL has never done that, and I respect her tremendously.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 3:11 am
To me it seems like there is an amother on this post that works for binah magazine and keeps on posting false information about the binah.

Op only advertise in the binah if you want to attract the bp woman. Otherwise you are wasting your money advertising there.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 3:30 am
Avid reader over here. I read mishpacha, ami, binah and hamodia. I definitely find that the articles in Binah cater more for the traditional types b/c it's not so sensationalist and only has very clean topics under discussion. Also there's a lot in there for personal growth and all that type of thing so it prob attracts a deeper and more growth-oriented type of readership.
I personally prefer the mishpacha. I think they're a good balance of the 2. not too deep and not too full of exaggerated stories.
ami is a fun read but not sure how much I believe evrything that's written over there. Great for light ppl who enjoy a good gossip discussion.....
I guess it depends on what you need to advertise... You need to know which audience you want to target

Bundy

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 10:40 am
So I cannot keep my mouth closed over the disparaging comments about Binah and its content.
As a writer for the publication, I don't consider my articles unintelligent at all!!! It's actually an insult to my intelligence to suggest that.
Yes, Binah has a certain audience it targets and yes, it tries to keep away from sensationalism but that does not mean the articles are unintelligent! Is the poster who makes this claim suggesting that the quality of the writing of articles in Mishpacha and Ami are superior to Binah? Perhaps you are confusing quality of writing with content?

Every publication has its readership. Perhaps it would be better to say that, "Binah is not for me" instead of trashing the entire magazine in a public forum. The more sheltered community would like to read too and it doesn't have to be something controversial. There is a place for that even if it's not yours.

Writing for any frum publication can have its challenges especially if the magazine is geared toward a more sheltered audience. But I can honestly say that Binah does its upmost to present its material as sensitively and modestly as possible.

I want to address the charge that Binah stays away from controversial topics. Regular readers may recall an article called My Broken Bird that appeared last year. It was the story of a teenage girl who had turned to substance addiction after suffering abuse. A few weeks ago the sequel, Spreading her Wings, appeared describing her recovery process in rehab. Was this fluff...something weightless and insignificant? No, it was REAL and the fact that Binah had the courage to print this is commendable.

The bottom line is that there's something out there for everyone. Certain things might not be "up your alley" but let's not drag them through the mud.

Happy reading from a writer who writes intelligent articles for both Hamodia and Binah!!!

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 10:49 am
Bundy wrote:
.I want to address the charge that Binah stays away from controversial topics. Regular readers may recall an article called My Broken Bird that appeared last year. It was the story of a teenage girl who had turned to substance addiction after suffering abuse. A few weeks ago the sequel, Spreading her Wings, appeared describing her recovery process in rehab. Was this fluff...something weightless and insignificant? No, it was REAL and the fact that Binah had the courage to print this is commendable.

The bottom line is that there's something out there for everyone. Certain things might not be "up your alley" but let's not drag them through the mud.

Happy reading from a writer who writes intelligent articles for both Hamodia and Binah!!!

So since you can recall one article in all its years of publication that was somewhat different than the usual content you now think that Binah is an "out there" magazine? It's not. Sorry. They don't make waves, they cater to the demographic that the posters above have said: the Williamsburg and Boro Park women who are sheltered, simple, naive and don't want anything of controversy to contaminate their clean homes.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. On the contrary, there has to be a publication for all types of readership. But to claim that it is on par with other magazines regarding content is misleading.

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
To me it seems like there is an amother on this post that works for binah magazine and keeps on posting false information about the binah.

Op only advertise in the binah if you want to attract the bp woman. Otherwise you are wasting your money advertising there.

And you're amother because....

I don't mean to nitpick but I stand behind the words I say unless they're personal in nature, I find it offensive that readers take the liberty to knock someone or something without even having the guts to say who you are.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 10:53 am
Yes I buy all three magazines every week for my kids and I find binah has nothing that interest me. The only thing I like in binah is their recipes. The ami articles are better written and so is misphacha. I find from my neighbors that buy the binah they buy it for their daughters. It's more on a 14 year old level.
There is nothing wrong with that we need magazines for a types.

Rosh hasshana time binah had a special $99 for a year subscription. The fact that they did such a promotion shows you their readership is down and they are trying to get more people to read thei magazine. You can never get the ami for $99 a year.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 11:01 am
I dislike the Ami too because I see it as sort of a Jewish NYPost. They sell their magazines by sensationalizing everything and always promoting the wrong sides of the issues just to rile people up. My examples include them taking Weberman's side in his trial, condoning the New Square arson story, and their coverage of last week's Stark murder, where the family specifically requested they not mention the Post headline but they centered the entire article and cover page around that. In addition, the editorials by Rabbi Frankfurter promote hate and intolerance of everyone who is not like him.

I was under the impression that they are the least popular of all three, but I guess I am mistaken. Either way, Mishpacha has the biggest readership and most varied demographic, if you're looking at the marketing aspect.

Cookies n Cream

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 11:07 am
amother wrote:
Yes I buy all three magazines every week for my kids and I find binah has nothing that interest me. The only thing I like in binah is their recipes. The ami articles are better written and so is misphacha. I find from my neighbors that buy the binah they buy it for their daughters. It's more on a 14 year old level.
There is nothing wrong with that we need magazines for a types.

Rosh hasshana time binah had a special $99 for a year subscription. The fact that they did such a promotion shows you their readership is down and they are trying to get more people to read thei magazine. You can never get the ami for $99 a year.

"Better written". I guess it's "better written" for those that received an English education like yours..

As I've said previously, I'm definitely no Grammar/Writing maven so if I was catching all the mistakes in the Ami, they must've been pretty bad.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 11:22 am
if you go to rockland kosher in Monsey right before shabbos they are always out of the ami. Misphacha next and I've never seen them out of the binah. Many times if I don't have time to get it before shabbos then on Sunday the only magazine usually left over is the binah.

Op why don't you ask the grocery stores near you whichagazine sells faster?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 14 2014, 11:26 am
Maya wrote:
I dislike the Ami too because I see it as sort of a Jewish NYPost. They sell their magazines by sensationalizing everything and always promoting the wrong sides of the issues just to rile people up. My examples include them taking Weberman's side in his trial, condoning the New Square arson story, and their coverage of last week's Stark murder, where the family specifically requested they not mention the Post headline but they centered the entire article and cover page around that. In addition, the editorials by Rabbi Frankfurter promote hate and intolerance of everyone who is not like him.

I was under the impression that they are the least popular of all three, but I guess I am mistaken. Either way, Mishpacha has the biggest readership and most varied demographic, if you're looking at the marketing aspect.
1. They never condoned the arson story, simply pointed out not to forget all the beautiful things about a community because of the actions of a few. The arson was condemned. 2. They did not take Webermans side in the trial. What they said was that since the girl had gotten her chance in the press, they were offering the defense a chance to say something. (I think it was in very very poor taste.) 3. I don't know about the Stark family's wishes but based on the actions of the family it seems they were leading the publicity against the Post. 4. How do the editorials promote hate and intolerance? I'm confused as to how you see that. I don't always agree with the points but I've never gotten that impression. Amother, if you have things to say against Binah, say it in your own name. I personally find it a bit boring, but because I read so many secular magazines the topics don't interest me. I read Jewish magazines to read about Jewish news, Jewish stories. I read both Mishpacha and Ami and enjoy them both. They have different strong points, which is great.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room