Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Did you do Flu Vaccines this year?
Previous  1  2  3

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jan 12 2014, 11:29 pm
octopus wrote:
can someone explain to me about their fears of gbs? isn't that what pregnant ppl are tested for? and if you do test positive you just get anti-biotics during labor.

Not group b strep. Guillain Barre syndrome. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki.....drome

devo1982

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 8:03 am
Absolutely. I have friends from other message boards who've known people who've died from this flu - a 20something year old woman in Texas, and a 50something year old woman somewhere else. It's not worth the risk. The flu when it truly hits you is terrible, dangerous and this strain is hitting the young and healthy between (18-middle age) particularly hard. Given that my immune system is probably not at its greatest and I have mild asthma, no way, no how. Vaccination for me.

H1N1 is particularly early and virulent this year.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 9:30 am
Is it too late to give? I just moved to a new area and I do not yet have any connection to doctors to ask about this personally.

Dalia

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 9:35 am
no, it's not too late to get the flu shot. It's given through March.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 11:51 am
Besides GBS, there are other risks with vaccination, namely that is LOWERS one's immune system as it reacts to the vaccination, trying to create antibodies, potentially increasing one's risks for other diseases.

Take a look at this, just as an example: http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/.....is307
Higher rate of other respiratory diseases when given the flu shot.

Risks involved with the flumist are mainly due to the fact that it's a live virus and can (and does!) make people sick.

AinOdMilvado

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 5:39 pm
I didn't believe in it til last winter when my husband caught the flu and looked like he was dying c"v for 1-2 wks!

B"H he is better but we vaccinated e/o then, and again this fall

that being said, after I vaccinated this yr, I caught a flu for a wk with fever chills intense weakness etc so I guess it didnt catch that strain (in Israel so maybe a dif flu shot)

BTW for anyone who doesn't know who DOES get the shot, last yr my arm swelled pretty big & hard from the shot, and after looking up online they said it can happen if you davka DON'T move your hand with the shot right after (which I didn't cuz I was scared of it I was totally stiff)

this time I made sure to swing my arm around a few times right after the shot, and whenever I remembered over the 1st day and B"H I didn't get the swelling AT ALL....in case anyone else had that and didn't want to repeat b/c of it...

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 13 2014, 6:16 pm
Nopes but my dr. made my infant take it two years ago by her check up. Thats the only time anyone got one.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics