Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where is the lowest cost of living near tristate area?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 4:50 pm
What frum community has the lowest cost of living, within approximately 200 miles from the Tristate area?

low rent/housing
low tuition

mikvah
yeshivah
kosher food- takeout/restaurants

Please share any place that you think of, even if it doesn't meet all of the above.

mirror

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 4:59 pm
Have you looked into Bayswater, near Far Rockaway, NY?

Monsey used to be cheap, but houses and real estate taxes and cost of heat in winter are a lot.

Another suggestion is Bergenfield, NJ right next to Teaneck, but tuitions are probably high.

You can also look into Willowbrook in Staten Island, NY.

SplitPea

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 5:03 pm
we live in bayswater. rent here is def some of the cheapest around (we pay 1500 for a 3 bedroom)
tuition, groceries, etc is all pretty standard around here.

nyer1

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 6:43 pm
although different from each other in many ways, look into Elizabeth, NJ and Bayswater. Elizabeth has brand new apts that are supposed to be cheap and very nice

amother

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 7:06 pm
Lakewood may be a bit further than you would like, but the housing prices are really reasonable. For example, I paid for my brand new, detached 3600 sq ft house with a finished basement and an attic-for under 5K. The rent is really reasonable too. You can rent a brand new, 5 bedroom house for $1800 a month. There is also a full Jewish infrastructure here, with many restaurants, take-outs and all types of shopping. The commute to Brooklyn is about an hour and 20 minutes.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 7:12 pm
nyer1 wrote:
although different from each other in many ways, look into Elizabeth, NJ and Bayswater. Elizabeth has brand new apts that are supposed to be cheap and very nice

Thanks. How cheap?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:
Lakewood may be a bit further than you would like, but the housing prices are really reasonable. For example, I paid for my brand new, detached 3600 sq ft house with a finished basement and an attic-for under 5K. The rent is really reasonable too. You can rent a brand new, 5 bedroom house for $1800 a month. There is also a full Jewish infrastructure here, with many restaurants, take-outs and all types of shopping. The commute to Brooklyn is about an hour and 20 minutes.

I must be misunderstanding- did you buy an entire house for less than $5,000?? If so, that is amazing!!

Did you mean less than 500k?

Lani22

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 7:27 pm
twin rivers nj...

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 7:29 pm
Lakewood!
Tuition- cheapest around.
Kosher food, groceries- you can't do better!
Restaurants- much cheaper than NY or almost any other place.
Housing- you can rent a big, nice house with a great location for a lot less than you'd pay for an apartment in NY!
I'd say by far, Lakewood is your best bet.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 10:44 pm
look into baltimore MD

house prices for 3-5 bedroom start at about 180,000 but go up to 500,000 depending on the neighborhood. personally we bought our 1500 sq ft house with 5 bedrooms for 230,000. There are a lot of houses on teh market in the 250 - 350,000 range in nice neighborhoods. Standard of living in baltimore is not over the top, there is a laid back, non-fancy attitude to life, there is a great choice of schools, and everything else you could possibly need, amazing shuls, rabbonim, etc

monseychick

Post Sun, Jan 19 2014, 11:44 pm
Lakewood for sure.........

Good luck with the schools Banging head

amother

Post Mon, Jan 20 2014, 12:46 am
Try Scranton, PA

Yeshiva
Very Small Kollel
3 shuls ( different types)
Day school
Mikvah

Houses are super-cheap (we paid less than 130,00 for a 4 bedroom 1 1/2 bath. We have since finished the basement with an extra full bath and mini-kitchen. Plus we redid the main kitchen)p

JCC has seperate swim hours, which is really nice. Exercise classes for women only as well.

It's about 2 hours to Manhattan.

No kosher restaurants though. A small kosher grocery at the Yeshiva, but the owner can get whatever you need from Brooklyn. (I've ordered some really specialized items, and there is no problem getting them!)

Not so many young families. Most are now 40 and above, with a few in the mid to late 30's.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating