Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Part time jobs

amother

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 9:55 pm
What are some decent paying part time jobs ?? I don't mind entry level postion but I need to bring home some money after paying a babysitter ... Any ideas for me ?

wife2

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 10:23 pm
Do you have a degree or any skills/qualifications or job experience? How much money do you need to make minimum to pay for daycare and still be earning?

Most secretary jobs do not pay well but medical and legal secretaries sometimes do and there may be room for growth.

Even if you are not making money and just breaking even, you need to think long-term. If your entry level job has room for growth and you can advance or move up in the field, you should consider it. A job that you can have for many years may take some years of investing in it before you can move up. Even if you can't move up and the job does not pay well , job experience is good for your resume and it is good to get out of the house for social and intellectual reasons (unless you prefer staying home).

What things are you interested in?

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 10:25 pm
I think it largely depends on where you are located.

I can tell you about Brooklyn that entry level jobs will not pay you enough to cover babysitters, they usually pay $10-12 per hour.
Secretarial positions are probably best but again you need experience anything entry level will not pay you a lot.

I also worked out that if I take a 9-5/10-6 job paying me $15 p.h I end up with the same about (after playgroup and extra babysitting hours and taxes) as if I take a part time job paying me $13. Which is what I did.
The good part about starting with less is that if you are good, after 6months-1year chances are they will be more willing to give you a raise which raises your work quality and your drive to do better whereas if you start high, they won't raise you that fast.

bookworm10

Post Sun, Jan 26 2014, 10:46 pm
Subbing in schools can be from 50-100 dollars for half a day. Put your name on lists and you will get many calls. Also, this way you aren't tied down and you can say no if your child is sick, etc.

good luck!

amother

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 12:18 am
What schools are you taking about that pay 20$ an hour to a sub? Maybe high school?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics