Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
HIGHS SCHOOL AND SEM GRADS - WHATS THE NORM?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 7:27 pm
Okay so the typical is 'teaching'
But if someone is not cut out for teaching is all that is left office work?
Can a girl really not work as a sales girl in a store because it will affect her shiduch resume?
Now I know some girls pursue college but let us say we are discussing someone who can't make it in college - what are the options?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 7:29 pm
Which community does this young lady identify with?

justcallmeima

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 7:32 pm
Sheitel machers can make a tremendous amount of money if they are good and know how to treat clients. Make up artists can do well too. What is she interested in?

Emotional

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 7:33 pm
Why don't you tell us the interests & skills of the girl in question so we have what to start with?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 7:37 pm
typical Boro Park girl
affiliates somewhat with chasidish crowd. Parents are second marriage - 'mixed' bacdground....

Okay so I had this agrument with someone who claimed that 75 percent graduates work in an office. I want to know if this is true. If it is is this different in Monsey & elsewhere?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 9:41 pm
Working with geriatric population
Big money , big mitzva

justcallmeima

Post Mon, Jan 27 2014, 11:33 pm
Working with the elderly may be a big mitzvah, but it is NOT big money!

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 12:42 am
She can work with the MR/DD population if she finds that interesting.

gold21

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 12:46 am
Gosh, I dunno-but to think that the only options a girl has is Secretary or Teacher is a depressing thought. I mean, what do I know, but it does seem very limiting.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 3:23 am
amother wrote:
typical Boro Park girl
affiliates somewhat with chasidish crowd. Parents are second marriage - 'mixed' bacdground....

Okay so I had this agrument with someone who claimed that 75 percent graduates work in an office. I want to know if this is true. If it is is this different in Monsey & elsewhere?

They ask about parents' marriage on job applications now?

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 3:24 am
Maybe I'm naive, but why doesn't this girl just do what she wants, what she's passionate about. If this is something that interests her, wouldn't she want to marry a man that thinks it's okay, rather then marrying someone that obviously has an issue with it? If she thinks something is perfectly fine, wouldn't she want to marry someone that thinks it's fine as well?

Is it any better to say, "You'd never marry me if I was doing XYZ so now that we're married, I'm going to go do it."?

Last edited by Mrs.K on Tue, Jan 28 2014, 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 3:56 am
imasoftov wrote:

amother wrote:
typical Boro Park girl

They ask about parents' marriage on job applications now?

Yes, why is this piece of info relevant?

Oh and why does working in sales negatively impact one's shidduch potential?

Also: what are her skills/strengths/interests?? Is she good with children? Is she a math person? Is she a people person? Does she have solid computer skills?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 7:57 am
If college is not an option, there are still a lot of courses for a young girl to take: graphic design, medical billing, hair/wig styling, photography, etc.
What does she enjoy? I have a friend earning a living off illustrating. She can try writing too- not necessarily fiction or magazine articles, but copyrighting and product description.
I found it pretty depressing to work in an office but OFFICE is a very broad term- not everyone in an office does bland secretarial work or data entry. She can even do sales from an office, if she is interested in that but won't do it in a storefront for tznius reasons or whatever.
If she is resourceful and creative, she can try selling on online- she can even create her own products and sell them on etsy if she is good at crafts.
That being said, she needs to know that if she wants to start something on her own, it will come with a LOT of hard work and perseverance, setbacks and disappointments, but in the long run she will be so happy to be her own boss.
I'm glad she is not forcing herself to be a teacher because it sounds good- there are enough problems with the education system out there without the inexperienced and unqualified teachers who teach for a resume rather than for their students.
Good luck!

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 9:15 am
justcallmeima wrote:
Sheitel machers can make a tremendous amount of money if they are good and know how to treat clients. Make up artists can do well too. What is she interested in?

I'm going to disagree with this. The market is saturated with sheitel machers and makeup artists. The salary from that job alone is not even close to enough to maintain a family. If you decide to go this route, it needs to be a "side job", or DH needs to have a job that can provide.

Fox

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 10:03 am
Choosing a career path because there are lots of jobs available in the field or because your grandmother's neighbor's niece got a great job doing X, Y, or Z makes about as much sense as my choosing a dress based on what looks good when, say, Angelina Jolie wears it.

In my observation, there is no such thing as a "good" or "bad" field. It depends entirely on the individual's interests, talents, and enthusiasms. I've seen plenty of people eventually wash out of careers in "hot" fields like various health care specialties, and I've seen plenty of people pursue what looked like utterly dead-end possibilities . . . and find remarkable success.

The biggest determinant of success is how accurately and honestly the person evaluates his/her strengths and weaknesses and how well the person analyzes the requirements for success in a given field. Someone who becomes a shaitel macher because she likes to do hair is unlikely to make a parnosseh, as Cbsmommy says. On the other hand, someone who is able to chat amiably with clients while making them feel pampered or someone who has an excellent grasp of the business end of shaitels may do very well indeed.

Tigerwife also alludes to an important point: many categories of work are actually pretty broad. "Office work" is so broad as to be meaningless, and even "teaching" encompasses a huge variety of jobs beyond the classroom.

Most of us, particularly if we've been in our jobs or on our career path for a long time, lose sight of what else is out there. The job market is always changing, and the best opportunities are those that you tailor for yourself!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 28 2014, 10:38 am
Oysh. Seems like some frum pre-war circles were already more open minded than today...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics