Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Can YOU change a tire
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

SouthernShalom

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 7:00 pm
Long Island Iced Tea? I really don't know whats in it but I have heard of it. How about that?

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 7:03 pm
SouthernShalom wrote:
Long Island Iced Tea? I really don't know whats in it but I have heard of it. How about that?

yes ... I'll have one of those please ... with a little umbrella and a sliced up lemon that basHinda has ... Cheers

ssbarnes

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 9:45 pm
My dad would not allow me to get my license until I could not only change a tire, but also change the oil.

My first flat, I got the lug wrench on the nut and was jumping on it with all my weight (before kids, I didn't have that much) and couldn't get it to budge. Someone stopped and helped me. When my grandmother heard, she got me AAA. She paid for it every year until I got married.

I haven't had to fix the roof, but I can do plumbing, patch drywall and install flooring. I am pretty good with electrical work, but I prefer to defer to a professional for most of that.

DH travels a bit for business. After the first time I paid a plumber to fix a toilet, I went to Home Depot and started learning.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 9:49 pm
so ... ssbarnes and all you handy women ... should we start a separate forum ... so as not to make the other ladies jealous Wink

ChavieK

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 10:11 pm
We had to change a tire and belts in order to finish drivers ed.I try to do a lot myself with the kids never dh. He always says if he can hang a picture w/o smashing his thumb it was a good job.
AAA has discounts in stores too. Payless, & some others.One towing pays for itself. If you have a pretty new car may not be worth it. But with an older or high milage car I have found it a good investment.

withhumor

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 10:55 pm
greenfire wrote:
so ... ssbarnes and all you handy women ... should we start a separate forum ... so as not to make the other ladies jealous Wink

Correction, “so as not to make the other ladies weep and wallow in self pity…”

Marion

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:19 am
In Toronto I always filled my own tank...self serve is always cheaper, and much faster. Here it's a pain...I never fill my own tank because self serve is a pain in the *** if you don't own a credit card. It's not really self serve, it's "we're too lazy to do it for you, so why don't you try it yourself". The actual mechanics aren't any different, just the process is so frustrating it's not worth saving the money.

In my own car (when I had one) I knew where to find stuff under the hood (bonnet). I could check and change the oil, fill the fluid and the water. But I never learned to change a tire. If we ever get a car, I'll get someone to show me, but it's kind of irrelevant at the moment.

brooklyn

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 7:56 am
When we bought our house DH and I both learned how to do many different things like plumbing, electric, sheetrock....

SouthernShalom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:10 am
We used to have full service gas stations here too,when I was a kid. Now they don't have them anywhere and the gas just keeps going up. I guess I thought they were gone from everywhere. Maybe I need to move north?

lotte

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:12 am
Squash wrote:
I'm really embarrassed but I'll admit that I can't put gas in the car either. But I don't drive that much anyway. embarrassed

same here.
I think it is NOT feminene to put gas in your car,to change a tire or to love eating p'cha! LOL

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:19 am
who said anything about being feminine ... don't get my nails done ... don't wear high heels ... and use up my testosterone ...

don't worry ten I still want that shidduch ... I could use a man's testosterone as well Wink

brooklyn

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:38 am
teneleven wrote:

same here.
I think it is NOT feminene to put gas in your car,to change a tire or to love eating p'cha! LOL

Well, based on that logic then I guess it is not feminine to drive a car either.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:56 am
don't worry ten probably gets chauffeured around ... Wink

shanie5

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 11:12 am
my friends look at me like I'm crazy cuz I check my own oil and add washer fluid to my car!!!!!!

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:01 pm
shanie5 wrote:
my friends look at me like I'm crazy cuz I check my own oil and add washer fluid to my car!!!!!!

they're probably just jealous!!!

SouthernShalom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:58 pm
Are we talking about feminine or fru-fru. I don't wear makeup, get nails done either but I am still very feminine Lady
I am a woman, I am still a functioning ,capeable human being.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:02 pm
SouthernShalom wrote:
Are we talking about feminine or fru-fru. I don't wear makeup, get nails done either but I am still very feminine Lady
I am a woman, I am still a functioning ,capeable human being.

I assure you ... I am very feminine as well!!!!!!!! Flower

shanie5

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:16 pm
greenfire wrote:
shanie5 wrote:

they're probably just jealous!!!

nope, they just think it's a mans job.
I actually started taking care of my car after the mechanic yelled at me for being overdue for an oil change. I started to say s/t about dh not doing it and he said "its your car, u drive it, its your responsibility" and he is right (and I agreed w/ him after I got over my snit at being blamed for not taking proper care of my car)

Ima'la

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 3:35 am
Just found this fun thread....When I was a teen (after I got my license), my father showed me how to change a tire a couple of times...I pretended to watch, all the while thinking, "C'mon, gimme a break, you KNOW that if I ever get a flat, no matter how far from home I am or what time of night it is, I'm calling DADDY!!!

I also didn't how to pump my own gas...once I was driving kids for a youth group event and needed gas and the 12 yr. olds were making fun of me for looking for a self-serve station. They offered to pump for me, but I didn't want anyone who wasn't old enough to drive messing around with my parents' car! (They probably would've done a great job!)

Now I'm married, and don't have a car...so no need to get over my spoiled princess act just yet...

greenfire

Post Thu, May 17 2007, 8:28 am
Ima'la wrote:
... I'm calling DADDY!!!...I also didn't how to pump my own gas......so no need to get over my spoiled princess act just yet...

Hey spoiled princess Queen ... so we're not so alike after all Wink - don't worry I'll help you change a tire - now you can get a car
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics