Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Best Bankruptcy lawyer in NY

amother

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 4:08 pm
So after many years of struggling, and many riffs in our shalom bais do to the stress this debt we're in has caused us DH and I decided to file. Has anyone gone through this and can give me a good referral for bankruptcy attorney in NY?

Any imamothers who have been there I would really appreciate some advice on what I will need to weather this. I really want to hear about your experience.

... and please, I beg of you, no nasty judgmental comments from amothers. This was not an easy decision and I'm really distraught over it.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 6:56 pm
Yes!!!! He's the best: http://www.lhmlawfirm.com/atto.....nica/

chayamiriam

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 10:51 pm
Jacob Silver is the best google him, knows all the laws and ins and out of the process!

SplitPea

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 11:12 pm
We went through it about 3 months ago. My husband came out of the hearing saying if cvs he ever needed to do it again he would file himself it was soooo simple and really a matter of getting paperwork in order. Our lawyers were great and really worked with us but most of the leg work (filling out forms, taking classes, etc) needs to be done by the person anyway all the lawyer does is file with the courts. Paying 1600 for that felt like a slap in our face.

Again our lawyer was wonderful but with the right googling it is really something that can be done alone. About half the people at our court date were self filing.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 10 2014, 11:36 pm
OP here,

Thank you for replying. I will for sure contact these people. For those who have filed, do u know if student loans taken from private institutions, not federal or DOE, can be written off in a bankruptcy?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 11 2014, 7:30 pm
I like Wayne Greenwald but he's very busy.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 2:17 am
You can try Bruce Weiner.

http://nybankruptcy.net/main/n.....iner/

I know a few people who used him successfully. As for student loans I think I heard that they are not discharged in bankruptcy but I could be wrong. Any attorney you use should be able to answer this question for you.

Bankruptcy can be hard emotionally but it can also be a good move, especially for people who have fallen intoc circumstances beyond their control.

Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics