Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Dental Insurance for Family of 4, NY

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 6:56 am
We are a family of four living in Brooklyn, NY. We get insurance through my husband's work but it's only medical insurance, not dental.

My little kids are starting to go to the dentist, and I have my own dental work that needs to be done. I was told by the office manager at my husband's work that most dental plans don't make sense too buy, too expensive and too little money back.

What do people do in NY about dental costs? I understand that a plan wouldn't necessarily cover things like a root canal, but the consults and x-rays and yearly cleaning cost a fortune, too.

For those of you who are not on government programs (I assume there is a government dental program, I do not know much about the government programs), what do you do? What

boro parker

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 7:30 am
Goverment programs do cover dental insurance. Did you check out if you're not eligible for Chid Health Plus? CHP is medical insurance coverage for kids under age 21... see link below.

www.nyc.gov/html/hra/downloads.....l.pdf

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:18 am
The link doesn't work.

Do you mind finding it for me?

Also, what about adult dental insurance?

Anyone buy a plan?

boro parker

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:43 am
don't know why it's not working. try to google "maximum income for medicaid in ny" and try to find this pdf.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:52 am
[quote="boro parker"]Goverment programs do cover dental insurance. Did you check out if you're not eligible for Chid Health Plus? CHP is medical insurance coverage for kids under age 21... see link below.

www.nyc.gov/html/hra/downloads.....quote
In my experience good luck finding a dentist willing to take this type of Insurance without a waiting list many many months long.

boro parker

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 9:53 am
for basic yearly cleanings I'm fine with a dentist that doesn't have such long waits

STovah

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 10:49 am
amother wrote:

For those of you who are not on government programs (I assume there is a government dental program, I do not know much about the government programs), what do you do? What

People who are not on gvmt programs and do not have dental insurance pay their dentists out of pocket. It usually doesn't pay to buy your own dental insurance if your employer does not cover it, since the annual coverage amount is pretty low on most plans.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 4:23 pm
The payment plans I've tried were terrible. If it's not part of your employment package, I wouldn't bother. Go where you want.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 5:11 pm
STovah wrote:
People who are not on gvmt programs and do not have dental insurance pay their dentists out of pocket. It usually doesn't pay to buy your own dental insurance if your employer does not cover it, since the annual coverage amount is pretty low on most plans.
This is pretty much my question. Sad

So basically I am stuck with the thousands of dollars for procedures like root canals, pulling wisdom teeth, etc.

It stinks to be in the middle. Mad

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 5:21 pm
amother wrote:

So basically I am stuck with the thousands of dollars for procedures like root canals, pulling wisdom teeth, etc.

Actually, I like it better this way. I see who I want, when and where I want. No unscrupulous doctors, no one trying to make a buck off of my insurance. No dirty offices or low class clientele. You get what you pay for. Literally.

If you need something expensive done, ask for a loan; either Care Credit or whatever else they recommend.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 12 2014, 6:17 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Actually, I like it better this way. I see who I want, when and where I want. No unscrupulous doctors, no one trying to make a buck off of my insurance. No dirty offices or low class clientele. You get what you pay for. Literally.

If you need something expensive done, ask for a loan; either Care Credit or whatever else they recommend.
Okay, you put it into perspective, I guess. I do pay a pretty price for my dental care but the dentists I have used so far are top.

Out of curiosity, how in the world do people afford this?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 8:14 am
Bump

Any other ideas?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 13 2014, 2:56 pm
They borrow the money - they take a loan either from their dentist or on their credit cards.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics