Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Buyer not paying on eBay
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 12:59 pm
Hi I need advice from the experts who sell on here.
I figured ill try to start selling on eBay and a buyer with 0 feedback won my auction.

He emailed me right away that his wallet was stolen and he needs five days to get a new card.

What does this mean? Would someone bid with no intention of paying? Are there spoilers out there?

Also if someone doesn't pay then what is my next step? Can I contact the person before the next highest bidder to see of they would take my item? How do I contact eBay?

Any advice from expert sellers would really be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 1:02 pm
Did ship the item?

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 1:06 pm
No of course I didn't ship the item.
My question is why would someone keep on bidding on an item and then Not pay? Do people enjoy spoiling an auction?

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
No of course I didn't ship the item.
My question is why would someone keep on bidding on an item and then Not pay? Do people enjoy spoiling an auction?

Good question

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 1:13 pm
Does anyone on here have experience selling on eBay?

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 1:19 pm
never sold on ebay, but I have a suggestion. wait the five days. if the payment goes through, ship the item. if the payment doesn't come, contact the next highest bidder and find out if they still want the item for their last bid. if that doesn't work out, put it up for auction again.

waiting the five days will increase the likelihood of your getting a good review as a seller. good customer service will make you more popular. I don't know if five days is normal, but if you aren't desperate for the money right now, I'd wait.

spring13

If he doesn't pay, you can open a case against him.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerin......html

out-of-towner

I asked my DH who is a seasoned Ebay seller.

After a certain number of days, you will be able to file a claim that a buyer didn't pay and you will be refunded your fees.

If it is a high end item, be careful when the buyer does end up paying, because there can be fraud. When you ship the item, make sure to use a tracking number, and in the future you can set up the auction to not allow people with no feedback to bid.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 1:47 pm
Thanks so much out of tower. It's an $1150 item.
What does that mean once buyer pays it can be fraud. I agreed to wait today is the day he promised to pay?

Are you saying I shouldn't ship the item out after they pay too?
Obviously I will get a tracking number. What else do I need to know? Also can you ask your husband if its normal for buyers to ask you to wait for payment. Also if a person has 0 feedback and is a member since 2010 does that mean it always was 0 feedback or does feedback get erased after x amount of years.

And thanks everyone else for your responses. In trying to figure out what to do.

Hatemywig

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 1:59 pm
I lost my wallet is a classic fraud line. (I.e. Nigeria). I would be really careful.

starmarket

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 2:00 pm
You have to get a tracking number - and this is essential: signature upon delivery. Otherwise the buyer can say they never received it - this just happened to us - tracking number showed it was delivered but we didn't know a signature was required. The buyer got his money back and we were also out the product (over 300). Sad

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 2:16 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks so much out of tower. It's an $1150 item.
What does that mean once buyer pays it can be fraud. I agreed to wait today is the day he promised to pay?

Are you saying I shouldn't ship the item out after they pay too?
Obviously I will get a tracking number. What else do I need to know? Also can you ask your husband if its normal for buyers to ask you to wait for payment. Also if a person has 0 feedback and is a member since 2010 does that mean it always was 0 feedback or does feedback get erased after x amount of years.

And thanks everyone else for your responses. In trying to figure out what to do.

He says to be very careful, because it is still possible for the buyer to give Paypal a fake credit card number. he has heard of this happening to people. he says you should be very careful especially with such an expensive item. He would not sell it to someone with 0 feedback. if the buyer does pay you should check to make sure he is paypal verified and maybe wait a few days after the payment is received to make sure it is not fraud you can also call paypal and try to have them confirm it. the seller is always at a disadvantage. my husband said in such a situation he would not ship the item even if the buyer does pay (if he does issue a refund right away) and take the risk of getting negative feedback. it is not so common for buyers to ask for you to wait for payment and when it happens it should raise a red flag. feedback never gets erased.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 2:17 pm
If he doesnt pay after 5 days then open a case with ebay. He then has 7 days to day and if he still doesnt pay you can offer it to the second highest bidder.

Do not ship until its paid. Because its such an expensive item, when shipping pay extra for insurance and signature upon delivery.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 3:02 pm
If he claims that he is using a debit card and waiting for his debit card to come in the mail, if he does pay by debit card can he take back the charge afterwards? Is debit card the same as a credit card or is it like cash?

Also if he doesn't pay can he leave me negative feedback that I was a bad seller?

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 3:27 pm
Sounds super scammy. Whenever I've had any card problems, they sent a new one overnight.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 3:32 pm
Right away I said it sounds like a scam but as a seller after the auction can I:
1. Refuse to sell once he won
2. Give him negative feedback but the. E will give me negative back?
3. How do I get out of his?

Thanks everyone and have a good Shabbos.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 3:33 pm
Please be careful op

seeker

Post Fri, Feb 14 2014, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:
Right away I said it sounds like a scam but as a seller after the auction can I:
1. Refuse to sell once he won
2. Give him negative feedback but the. E will give me negative back?
3. How do I get out of his?

Thanks everyone and have a good Shabbos.

Wait the five days or whatever it is until you can open a claim with eBay. I could be wrong but I think if you have a claim with ebay I don't know if they can still give you feedback; I think the transaction is cancelled as if it never happened. When it's all over you can re-list the item.

blumys

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 7:33 pm
I don't think a seller can leave negative feedback for a buyer.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 15 2014, 7:34 pm
So the time passed when she was supposed to pay and she didn't pay. Now my question is how can I contact the person before her to give them a chance to pay?
Can I do or how do I get eBay to do it?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics