Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tired of being poor!
1  2  Next

SouthernShalom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:09 pm
edit

Last edited by SouthernShalom on Thu, May 15 2008, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:11 pm
(((HUGS)))

Me too. It's very stressful to have to think hard about every single purchase.

It sometimes helps me to think about how fortunate we really are, compared with our great grandparents in the old country. Now that was poor.

happymom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:12 pm
that must be SO hard! I can totally undersatnd. its hard not be able to buy things without worrying about money. I wish I didnt have to worry about it either..

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:14 pm
believe me I hate it also...

It's VERY frustrating, esp when there are events and I cannot go because of the cost..

Clothing requirements for the school, and my kids only ahve like one or two things that fit that bill.. and getting new clothing means cutting back on things that we REALLY need. it's very frustrating...

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:22 pm
hey southern ... those people who whip out credit cards don't all have the $$$ either ... they just look like they do ...

it's not easy being GREEN ...

there are a lot of things one can do ... and then there are those days that life is frustrating...

I got my dd uniform skirts used ... and then bought shirts new ...
couldn't buy anyone anything for yom tov... was happy we had toothbrushes ...
then again ... everything came from somewhere ... and that was a miracle too ...
so - despite not having any $$$ or anything ... we survived yom tov ...

you learn to change buying habits ... not care about stains ... find great things on great sales ... you can do it

but {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}} for today ...

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 1:27 pm
Yeah... DH and I have said we've tried the povery thang, can we try the rich thing now?

SouthernShalom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:15 pm
edit

Last edited by SouthernShalom on Thu, May 15 2008, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:18 pm
SouthernShalom wrote:
Yeah, I know most of the saving tricks. I am pretty good at it. Just sometimes ya get tired of doing it. Went to the store befor I wrote this and had to put things back. Seccond time with same cashier and the woman behind me even offerd to pay for the rest shock Sooo embarassing!

can be embarassing if you let it be ... I once went to store to return to items ... just so I could buy advil for a hugh headache ... and was balling ... the return cashier offered to buy it for me too!!!

cindy324

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:18 pm
Quote:
hey southern ... those people who whip out credit cards don't all have the $$$ either ... they just look like they do ...

exactly my thoughts, green! I'm willing to bet money on it that 95% of those "whip out their credit cards" people are in serious debt!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:22 pm
That's whyDH and I always worked full time, and shlepped around for sales etc.

ssbarnes

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 4:27 pm
I hear you and I can empathize.

It is hard for me to visit my family. All of my brothers are successful, as are my cousins. My husband gets embarrassed b/c nobody will let him ever pick up the check. On the other hand, it isn't like we could afford to do so.

I try to remind myself how much more fortunate we are compared to my great grandparents who worked in sweatshops when they came to the US without any of their family.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 12:57 am
1. It's possible that you only have enough "credit" in your heavenly account for (of the three main brochos) children and health, and not parnoso, and if you're going to be lacking in one area of the three, parnoso is the least worst.

2. Bear in mind that Chasidus says that the test of wealth is more difficult than that of indigence. (Though that's after the fact, and lechatichila, we have the strength in this generation to overcome even the test of wealth, the Lubavitcher Rebbe says, and the wealth can be used for tremendous good, so we should wish that to one another. May your family enjoy parnoso be'harchovo!)

3. Along the lines of 1., indigence may be a punishment for sin (not to suggest that the rich are sinless; they could be punished in other ways), and thus through teshuva and intense devotion to good deeds, it may be possible to atone for that sin enough that the "term of punishment" is served, and one will be blessed with wealth. Or, in the words of Pirkei Avos, "He who accepts the yoke of Torah will have the yoke of foreign rule removed from him, and he who casts off the yoke of Torah, upon him will be laid the yoke of foreign rule." (Avos 3:5) Foreign rule is explained by some commentaries as a reference to parnoso. See also the preface to the Mitteler Rebbe's Derech Chayim for a powerful explanation of this maamar Chazal.

mimivan

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 1:19 am
I also get sick of it, and feel like not leaving the house...I know how you feel. Moshiach should come so we should all have parnassa!

imaamy

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 10:13 am
To avoid being embarrassed in the grocery line, could you carry a calculator to figure out approximately how much you owe before going thru the line?

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 10:25 am
southern, you posted this thread before I had a chance. I was so upset last night, I was crying. I so badly want to be like everyone else in shul and have beautiful new clothes for yom tov. every single holiday I go through the same thing. I look in my closet, find something that fits from yrs ago and wear it.

I thank hashem every day for the things I do have (a healthy family, etc) but whenever yom tov comes around, I get all depressed.

why can't I have enough money to just buy things I see (they aren't even that expensive. on sale in macy's). I go shopping and come home with nothing. dh doesn't understand that I might have bought a cheap, junky sweater for y"t but if I don't have a shell or skirt, how does it help? I still have nothing to wear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Sad

Yakira

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 1:52 pm
It's just me and DH, so we are OK for now, but I know this will probably be me in a few years. Already I try to scimp and save whenever and wherever I could. You have to see me in supermarkets comparing two brands that are $.25 different and choosing the cheaper one. Sometimes I 'splurge' and buy the pasta that is not 2 for $1, like shells or angel hair, but for the most part, we try to buy the cheapest foods there are. And the bill is still alarming every time...

gryp

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 2:21 pm
Not to mention that prices go up every time we blink. Rolling Eyes
Why don't our salaries rise with inflation...?

It says that when it comes to material matters we should compare ourselves to those who have less than us, and when it comes to Yiddishkeit we should compare ourselves to those on a higher level than us.
May we all have a year of no worries, stress, or pressure, and Moshiach should come immediately!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 2:29 pm
Amen!

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 2:35 pm
Daven!!

amother

Post Fri, Sep 21 2007, 3:13 pm
I thought I'm the only one in the world that didnt get a single new thing for Yom Tov.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics