Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Is it allowed to give MM a few days before Purim?

amother

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 6:40 am
also would you give to your neighbour even if she is not religious?

Happy18

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 6:43 am
Yes its allowed, but it doesn't fulfill your halachic requirement to give.

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 6:46 am
Only one of your MM is your mitzvah, like Happy18 implied, that has to be done on the day, but all the others are just token gifts. You can give the others whenever you want Smile

rising hero

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 6:47 am
You can give MM all year, but the mitzvah is on Purim...

momX4

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 6:55 am
some Morah's encourage the kids to give them MM on Tanis Ester. This makes it easier on everyone.
if you are going to be OOT on Purim, you can give before.
it is defenetly a beautiful thing to give MM to your neighbor regardless of how religious they are.
remember to also give on Purim day, that's the mitzva.

busydev

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 7:27 am
as long as you give one MM on purim you can give the rest whenever you want.
as to a non-Jewish neighbor I would ask your rav. there are those that hold you shouldnt give non Jews gifts (not related to purim, just stam)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 7:48 am
I give davka to non and less religious people, who probably won't get any. Sometimes though they're embarrassed they don't know what it is, or that they don't have "a gift" for me, so I tell them no biggy, next year if you want, and IYH some start giving a MM (the mitzva) Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 7:51 am
We give non religious neighbors, but on Purim. Is there a reason to give earlier?

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 7:51 am
busydev wrote:
as long as you give one MM on purim you can give the rest whenever you want.
as to a non-Jewish neighbor I would ask your rav. there are those that hold you shouldnt give non Jews gifts (not related to purim, just stam)

She didn't say non-Jewish, she said non-religious. BIG difference. There are certain Halachic issues about giving non-Jews gifts for no reason. There is NO problem with giving a not religious Jew a gift, and giving them MM is probably a very nice idea, and as Ruchel said it will probably be more appreciated than by those frum friends who are already receiving tons of mm from lots of people.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 7:53 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
We give non religious neighbors, but on Purim. Is there a reason to give earlier?

Convenience. For example I will often give my kid's therapist MM at their last session before Purim. I want to give them the MM for social reasons, to show my appreciation, but many of them don't live in my area and it would not be practical to go deliver to them on Purim itself. Same for some co-workers.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 7:56 am
I would definitely give to non-religious neighbor so they don't feel left out and feel part of the community.

I would think giving to a non-Jewish neighbor isn't an issue as it builds neighborly love. In my neighborhood many people give the crossing guards on Purim to say thank you for all of us working them so hard on this one day.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 8:16 am
True that if you want to give all parents, in laws, siblings... you may well need to do it spread on several days unless you want to be driving allllllll day.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 9:20 am
amother wrote:
also would you give to your neighbour even if she is not religious?

Absolutely. And I would try my best to give non-religious people l'mehadrin, I.e. on Purim itself, unless sending a tribute card.

busydev

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 3:45 pm
m in Israel wrote:
She didn't say non-Jewish, she said non-religious. BIG difference. There are certain Halachic issues about giving non-Jews gifts for no reason. There is NO problem with giving a not religious Jew a gift, and giving them MM is probably a very nice idea, and as Ruchel said it will probably be more appreciated than by those frum friends who are already receiving tons of mm from lots of people.

I misread/remembered, my bad. (was on my phone and cannot reread the op till im done replying-sorry)

yeah no problems giving to non religious Jews. I was kinda wondering why people would give non Jewish neighbors on purim... a chanuka gift I could hear more.

Hakol Letovah

Post Mon, Feb 17 2014, 3:59 pm
Fulfilling the Halacha requirement is only on Purim day.

other times, like teachers on Taanis Esther etc, is a token of appreciation, as some give at other times to friends, as a token of friendship, not fullfilling the mitzva, but has other reasons.

To a non observant friend? its a nice kiruv opportunity and an expression of friendship. opportunity to explain why we are doing it, mitzvas we do that day, etc.

Friendships are always nice.

I head that when giving food to a jew, one want to explain about a bracha, and bring a print with how to say it. your call.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 8:31 am
it's still shalach manos ... but just the kind of gift that's not an actual purim basket - considering the day ... but hey you know adar is happy all month long - & the raison d'ĂȘtre is a good one

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 18 2014, 9:15 am
As long as you give one shalach manos on Purim itself, it doesn't matter what you do before or after, because you fulfilled the mitzvah. I always give my non religious neighbor shalach manos, even though he is an atheist. It is just a nice thing to do.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 27 2014, 8:32 am
I already gave a purim gift to my teacher today. I won't be seeing her till after purim.now. I will be giving to others on purim day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics