Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Elaborate MM featured in ami magazine

imokay

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 6:01 pm
Am I the only one disappointed with ami's featured mm? I had gotten so excited when it said these were mm ppl actually sent, I was thinking , yay, finally mm that r for real ppl for real life.... Dont get me wrong, the ones featured were beautiful and clearly made by artistic and creative ppl, but..... I thought most were impractical, The average woman can't /doesn't want to, pull an all nighter erev purim, a lot of them had contents that the receiver would just throw out (eating opened candy that has been cut, shaped and decorated? Not for me!), and most wud take a reallllly long time to make..... They were all amazing to look at, but I just was so looking forward to some practical stuff!

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 6:12 pm
I feel your pain. I guess everyday MM that regular people can make don't sell rags magazines.

Redbird

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 6:20 pm
I agree with you, but I have to say that the SM with tylonol for the morning after cracked me up.

sky

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 7:25 pm
I agree.

They were nice but not something I would do. And most were 'special ones' not the regulars Although the Drunkin one was a riot. And I did like the salad one.
the bumper stickers were also so creative. I loved how they pulled from so many 'sources'.

Also the flowers and cookies made me nervous. I know caterers spend a lot of money paying a mashgiach to check flowers at events when placed on food (I think its .25 a flower). I was thinking of all the thrips and their proximity to the food.

Sherri

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 7:31 pm
sky wrote:
I agree.

They were nice but not something I would do. And most were 'special ones' not the regulars Although the Drunkin one was a riot. And I did like the salad one.
the bumper stickers were also so creative. I loved how they pulled from so many 'sources'.

Also the flowers and cookies made me nervous. I know caterers spend a lot of money paying a mashgiach to check flowers at events when placed on food (I think its .25 a flower). I was thinking of all the thrips and their proximity to the food.
I never knew about the mashgiach checking flowers. Interesting.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 02 2014, 8:58 pm
I thought they were great but why did they call it SM sent by normal people or not sure what word they used. These are not normal. I don't have that kind of graphics skills. Heck I don't even have a printer!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:57 am
I think the idea was that this is what people who aren't professionals send - and they use their own money so it's not over the top. Sometimes the cost of copying a magazine's mishloach manos or Purim buffet seuda can be so over the top it's just not practical to duplicate. Would you honestly make the buffet featured in the Binah this week. Who can afford that?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:45 am
I did enjoy going through all mishloach manos that they featured and by whom too. But most are not very exciting to recieve- barely any food!!!! The only one I'd like to get is the healthy vegatable onr.

morah

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 8:02 am
People, it's a magazine; everything in magazines, even supposedly DIY stuff, is way more elaborate than what most normal people are going to do. I get magazines like Good Housekeeping and Martha Stewart Living. I enjoy looking at all the stuff that looks amazing but that I will never actually do. Even the recipes, which I do usually use (often tweaked for kashrus anyway), come out delicious but don't look half as awesome as they do in the pictures. I do get ideas for what I want to cook or how I want something to look, but almost never actually follow it to a T or put in as much effort as doing so would require. It's a Purim issue so they made photo-worthy MM. You can choose to feel inadequate about it, or you can choose to understand that everything looks better in magazines/cookbooks/advertisements than in real life. Maybe you'll even get a good idea for your own, even though you know it won't look as professionally done, but then again, you get to choose whether to feel OK about that or not.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 8:40 am
I'm with Morah. I didn't see Ami but was surprised to see another spread once that spoke about the hours it took the pros to get the pattern of the cakes right, with no assurance that "now you can do it too". And no estimate of how many pieces you need and how far each batch goes.

imokay

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 6:25 pm
It was just the way they prefaced the mm.... "real people. real mm" and "these are the mm we really send" so I was hoping for something I cud really relate to! Oh well... They were pretty.... And I agree, the fresh veggie one is great, ive actually received a similar one....

balibusta

Post Mon, Mar 03 2014, 7:36 pm
Hiya I wud luv to see these pix of the MM from Ami that u guys are talking abt. Can I pm any of u to email me the photos??

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 2:51 am
Didn't read. Was too busy checking flowers for the flower salad LOL

mommyhood

Post Tue, Mar 04 2014, 7:27 am
I also tought the title was misleading. I really enjoyed the article I like seeing other people's creativity but most of those were way fancier than anything I could ever do. I wish they had advertised it differently.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics