Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are you makpid on yoshon?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Yes  
 14%  [ 12 ]
No  
 74%  [ 62 ]
Huh, what's that?  
 10%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 83

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 8:45 am

shalhevet

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 8:52 am
Are there people in Chul who are makpid on it at all? Is it even possible? It is also much more maikel in Chul. Although I heard of Gedolim in Europe like the Chofetz Chaim and the Brisker Rov who only ate matzas and the like during the winter.

In Israel the Chief Rabbinate makes sure that chodosh grain is stored until after Pesach, so Israeli made products are free from chodosh. We were told to be careful about imported Quaker oats and also pasta.

Motek, you should have asked this a few weeks ago! At the moment everyone is makpid!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 8:56 am
I am makpid on yoshen, and I don't live in Israel. Where I live there are lists of all the products thay yoshen will affect and the dates from when it applies.

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 9:01 am
shalhevet wrote:
Are there people in Chul who are makpid on it at all? Is it even possible?

sure, my sis and brother-in-law, for example and numerous others (like amother). Many pizza stores have signs that state they are makpid and various products will say so on the package.

Quote:
Motek, you should have asked this a few weeks ago! At the moment everyone is makpid!

I think posters will understand the question ...

Ruchel

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 10:18 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshon

I have never heard of people doing it in Europe, the date is not even written on the products...
Question

shoy18

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 10:52 am
In monsey the shoprite there buys in bulk before peasch of Flour, barley, cereal.... and doesnt except any chometz on peasch. Motzei peasch their are tons and tons of people who buy carts full of flour and barley, and about 30 boxes of cereal..

mirisimma

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 11:00 am
I have friends who are. its common chumra here in our neighborhood, although we dont. its not so hard in NY. so many companies advertise that they are yoshona and almost all bakeries and pizza shops are. its hard to know whats up with the non heimish brands though., theres a pamphlet put out each year that lists a bazillion products and the 'manufacturing codes you need to look for. and barley. that becomes a problem fast and peopel stock up or hunt for a heimish brand that advertises yoshon.

why r u asking?

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 11:48 am
shoy18 wrote:
Motzei peasch their are tons and tons of people who buy carts full of flour and barley, and about 30 boxes of cereal..

Hmmm, and it doesn't become "buggy"? They can store it all in the fridge/freezer? I doubt it ...

miri - I don't understand your question.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 12:19 pm
my ex was at one time ... and my son as well ... I personally never was ... and do not know too much about it ... but there are several people I know who are also makpid on yoshon and not in E"Y

yes I would be worried about the bugs ... there is no way to store that much without issues ... which would definately be a problem

mirisimma

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 12:25 pm
I asked why are you asking?

b the way, our rav told us one reason that some people are makpid not to keep yoshon out of israel is the bug problem.

PIP

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 3:55 pm
Im makpid and not in EY. You dont necessarily have to stock up on everything. Most things you can find easily till around feb. And no we dont eat matzah all year round, we eat normal regular food the same as you. Its not hard at all. In the beginning it can get a little confusing, but as long as you have the chodosh guide, you're all good Smile Even w\ non hemieshe foods!

shoy18

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 4:01 pm
Motek wrote:
shoy18 wrote:
Motzei peasch their are tons and tons of people who buy carts full of flour and barley, and about 30 boxes of cereal..

Hmmm, and it doesn't become "buggy"? They can store it all in the fridge/freezer? I doubt it ...

miri - I don't understand your question.

You doubt what exactly? Im just stating what I see.. No need for that kind of answer

stem

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 4:02 pm
According to my husband, it makes more sense to be makpid on Yoshon than cholov yisroel (in the US). In reality, many people are extremely makpid on CY and not so much yoshon.

queen

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 4:53 pm
shoy18 wrote:
In monsey the shoprite there buys in bulk before peasch of Flour, barley, cereal....

I'm not following what you wrote Shoy- as one has to stock up at the BEGINNING of yoshon season (sukkos time).... not now.
Question
Once Pesach passes- everything is fine, even stuff in stores technically from before Pesach.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 9:03 am
queen wrote:
shoy18 wrote:
In monsey the shoprite there buys in bulk before peasch of Flour, barley, cereal....

I'm not following what you wrote Shoy- as one has to stock up at the BEGINNING of yoshon season (sukkos time).... not now.
Question
Once Pesach passes- everything is fine, even stuff in stores technically from before Pesach.

I was about to ask the same thing Smile It's many times before sukkos for breads and stuff, but most cereals you have a little more leeway till they are no longer on the shelves. Flour I don't stock up on, but the past 2 Purims yoshon flour was sold out as everyone wants to bake SM from yoshon flour.

Yes, I'm makpid on yoshon, and like Stem's husband, my husband says the same thing, and therefore, for different reasons, we are not makpid on CY.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 9:14 am
We are not makpid on yoshon.

Can anyone tell me what is the halachik basis for not keeping yoshon? Is yoshon Halach or a chumra and what is the reason for it?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 9:47 am
http://www.kosherconsumer.org/yoshon.htm

Halacha. Even in Chu"L. Rema says he doesn't know why it stopped being the minhag, but it did, and therefore many don't keep it.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 9:54 am
I hate to sound lazy, but can you tell me concisely what it is? I have no pateince to read the whole thing.

daisy

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 10:31 am
I have several relatives and acquaintances that are makpid on yoshon. They also don't have internet access. Therefore, I believe that there are many more people that keep yoshon than are reflected in this poll.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 10:48 am
There is a mitzvah of korban omer, which is brought on the second day of Pesach.
Then the torah says " lo sochlu ad etzem hayom hazeh ad haviaachem es korbon elokeichem chukas olom l'doroseichem b'chol moshvosechem" you can't eat from the new grain until you've brought this omer. Since it says b'chol moshvosechem, most poskim hold that it's not a mitzvah tluyah b'oretz, but it still is a mtzvah derabonnan for Chu'L. As I mentioned, the Rema said many (ashkenazmi) have become meikil in this, but that doesn't mean it's proper. It's not a chumra but halacha. (I believe sfardim on a whole tend to be more makpid).

The new crop begins Pesach time, but doesn't reach the stores until the end of summer/ beginning of fall, and that's why for a few months between Peach and August, there is no concern of chodosh. Whatever was 'chodosh' before now becomes Yoshon, as the new season began, if that made any sense. Winter wheat is yoshon but spring wheat is chodosh.

I hope I explained this clearly.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen