Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are you makpid on yoshon?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Are you makpid on yoshon?
Yes  
 14%  [ 12 ]
No  
 74%  [ 62 ]
Huh, what's that?  
 10%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 83

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 11:32 am
Thanx HY for the explanation.

ChavieK

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 11:54 am
Very concise explaination. My ds also question why "we" as a whole, & my family, do not keep Yoshon. Dh is currently discussing the issue.

carrottop

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 2:08 pm
I never did but dh's family is very makpid - it was hard getting used to but eventually it's really not too bad! After succos it's hard to remember that I have to start checking labels again...............

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 11:54 am
shoy18 wrote:
You doubt what exactly? Im just stating what I see.. No need for that kind of answer

I doubt whether they can store huge amounts of flour and cereal etc. in their freezers. I wasn't doubting what you see. No need to be defensive.

stem wrote:
it makes more sense to be makpid on Yoshon than cholov yisroel (in the US).

What's the point in comparing the two? Rabbonim pasken on each area separately.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 12:09 pm
Motek wrote:

stem wrote:
it makes more sense to be makpid on Yoshon than cholov yisroel (in the US).

What's the point in comparing the two? Rabbonim pasken on each area separately.

Of course there's a point in saying a d'oraiysa is more important than a midrabanan. It makes a lot of sense in light of your poll that very few voters are makpid on chodosh. Because maybe some who are makpid on CY should start thinking that chodosh is more chamur and they should keep that as well.
Maybe they weren't aware that it's so important, because unfortunately the way of the world is that many people do what 'everybody' is doing and don't necessarily think (or have the tools) to check out the halachos.

Stem, it's interesting you said in the US, because in EY it's midoraiysa according to all opinions (I think) so your statement would be even more accurate.

gryp

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 12:49 pm
Quote:
Because maybe some who are makpid on CY should start thinking that chodosh is more chamur and they should keep that as well.

There is a reason that Lubavitchers are not makpid on it. I posted it long ago, but have no idea how to find my post from way back then. I don't remember the details, I guess I can ask again.

Perhaps you could have considered the idea by yourself that there is a reason why those of us who keep Cholov Yisroel don't keep yashan/chodosh, instead of telling us that we should think about keeping it since it's more chamur.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 12:56 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Because maybe some who are makpid on CY should start thinking that chodosh is more chamur and they should keep that as well.
Maybe they weren't aware that it's so important, because unfortunately the way of the world is that many people do what 'everybody' is doing and don't necessarily think (or have the tools) to check out the halachos.

.In a Chabad community, I think it would be inappropriate to be makpid on Yoshon, as it would be a way of trying to outdo everyone else in Lubavitch who doesn't do it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 12:59 pm
shalhevet wrote:

Stem, it's interesting you said in the US, because in EY it's midoraiysa according to all opinions (I think) so your statement would be even more accurate.

I think she worded it like that because of the heter of R' Moshe Feinstein that cholov stam is allowed in the united states due to federal regulations. This would not be the case in another country (e.g. Russia).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:02 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

In a Chabad community, I think it would be inappropriate to be makpid on Yoshon, as it would be a way of trying to outdo everyone else in Lubavitch who doesn't do it.

I'm a bit confused here. Are Lubavitch instructed not to take on any "chumros" or whatever so that other people don't feel like they are doing enough? I'm just trying to understand...Because I think taking on another hakpada in Yiddishkeit should be done because a yid wants to do more of ratzon hashem, and in some cases go lifnei mishuras hadin, and with those intentions, I don't think he should be limited not to do so lest other people feel they are not good enough. Confused

Crayon210

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:13 pm
The Rebbe said that we are not makpid on Yoshon. It would be inappropriate to be makpid on something that the Rebbe said we are not makpid on.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:21 pm
Excuse me my son is makpid and he is lubavitch please ... he learns about it and can handle it so why not ...

Crayon210

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:22 pm
I'm very surprised. Outside of Eretz Yisroel?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:26 pm
yes ... he is not the only one either ...

Crayon210

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:27 pm
I'm curious why he would do something that the Rebbe said we are not makpid on. Confused

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:32 pm
on second thought ... we do not fit into the norm ... sorry ... went to telshe yeshiva ... his father also kept yashan .... and he wasn't lubavitch ... I was ... but then now I guess it is the "mix-breed" ... so in his case it is different ...

Crayon210

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:33 pm
Okay, so that's not exactly what I'm talking about.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:36 pm
yeah ... I realized

Crayon210

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:38 pm
:-)

Crayon210

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:38 pm
:-)

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 1:42 pm
yeah I got confused ... cause my ex is lubavitch now ... go figure Mr. Green
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen