Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are you makpid on yoshon?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Are you makpid on yoshon?
Yes  
 14%  [ 12 ]
No  
 74%  [ 62 ]
Huh, what's that?  
 10%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 83

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 10:15 am
If you keep flour in the freezer it doesn't develop bugs (that's how we store flour in EY), but I don't know if that's practical for the quantities you might need.

Motek, that sounds much more plausible. That there was a psak (by your Rebbe, or the Alter Rebbe (is that Shulchan Aruch HaRav?)) that it is not necessary to be makpid on yoshon, but there is no problem if someone wants to be makpid. What was strange to me were posters suggesting that someone who wants to be machmir is doing something wrong.

*Disclaimer: I have not edited this post 17 times, nor gone into every possible interpretation which could be given to my words. I have not submitted this to representatives of every different Chassidus/ Yeshiva/ Jewish group to check if the material could be offensive to them.

Crayon210

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 10:41 am
According to Motek, the Alter Rebbe paskened such in his SA.

But in our generation, the Rebbe said we aren't makpid.

It would be "wrong" inasmuch as we don't "outmakpid" the Rebbe in Chabad. I think I explained this earlier.

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:05 am
But Crayon the Rebbe did say this:

Motek wrote:
On Acharon shel Pesach 5740, the Rebbe spoke about this topic in a sicha and said, "In Brooklyn, in N.Y., and even in Williamsburg, you don't find anyone who is particular about chodosh. However, if you find one Jew who does, may he be blessed, but I have not found such a Yid.

That seems to indicate that he does not have a problem with people being makpid on it.

Motek

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:08 am
shalhevet wrote:
If you keep flour in the freezer it doesn't develop bugs (that's how we store flour in EY), but I don't know if that's practical for the quantities you might need.

see earlier post where someone describes families buying 30 boxes of cereal

Quote:
That there was a psak (by your Rebbe, or the Alter Rebbe (is that Shulchan Aruch HaRav?)) that it is not necessary to be makpid on yoshon, but there is no problem if someone wants to be makpid.

Not quite.
That the Shulchan Aruch Ha'Rav explains why nobody keeps this din (the nobody including the great rabbonim of his time) and that a baal nefesh should be machmir. The Rebbe, in 1980, noted that nobody in N.Y. is makpid (the nobody including numerous rabbonim, Litvishe and Chasidishe gedolim, baalei mesirus nefesh and machmirim).

Quote:
What was strange to me were posters suggesting that someone who wants to be machmir is doing something wrong.

As I posted earlier, my father, for one, pointed out a problem with this new hakpada.

crayon - the Alter Rebbe paskened as I wrote above, which is why it was not a widespread practice not only in our generation.

Crayon210

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:54 am
613 wrote:
But Crayon the Rebbe did say this:

Motek wrote:
On Acharon shel Pesach 5740, the Rebbe spoke about this topic in a sicha and said, "In Brooklyn, in N.Y., and even in Williamsburg, you don't find anyone who is particular about chodosh. However, if you find one Jew who does, may he be blessed, but I have not found such a Yid.

That seems to indicate that he does not have a problem with people being makpid on it.

I didn't say the Rebbe would have a problem with it. But chasidim wouldn't do it!

Crayon210

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:55 am
Motek wrote:
crayon - the Alter Rebbe paskened as I wrote above, which is why it was not a widespread practice not only in our generation.

I gathered.

I was just talking about our generation since that's who we're discussing (should we start a thread "Was your alter-zaidy makpid on yoshon?" ;-))

sarahd

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 3:43 pm
Motek wrote:
Not quite.
That the Shulchan Aruch Ha'Rav explains why nobody keeps this din (the nobody including the great rabbonim of his time) and that a baal nefesh should be machmir. The Rebbe, in 1980, noted that nobody in N.Y. is makpid (the nobody including numerous rabbonim, Litvishe and Chasidishe gedolim, baalei mesirus nefesh and machmirim).

That's strange, because my uncle has been keeping yoshon for nearly 30 years now and he wasn't the only person he knew of who kept it. Of course, he lives in Monsey, not NYC...but it's still NYS. Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 3:49 pm
Motek, in my experience, cereal does not get buggy.
In fact the only time I had issues with bugs were in pasta in boxes (not bags) that was bought and eaten during the summer when yoshon is not an issue!!

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 4:44 pm
sarahd wrote:
Motek wrote:
Not quite.

That's strange, because my uncle has been keeping yoshon for nearly 30 years now and he wasn't the only person he knew of who kept it. Of course, he lives in Monsey, not NYC...but it's still NYS. Smile

And actually, my family, grandparents have been keeping yoshon since the mid 1900's and they lived in Brooklyn. I guess the Rebbe didn't know EVERYONE in Brooklyn. (and please dont get offended now Wink )

gryp

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 5:00 pm
Quote:
The Rebbe, in 1980, noted that nobody in N.Y. is makpid (the nobody including numerous rabbonim, Litvishe and Chasidishe gedolim, baalei mesirus nefesh and machmirim).

Motek, do you have the exact Lashon?

Motek

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 12:01 pm
GR: "... Williamsburg, we don't find a single Jew who is nizhar in chodosh, and if there is such a Jew, then may he be blessed, but I haven't found such a Jew."

indeed, the Rebbe did not know everyone in Brooklyn

gryp

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 12:19 pm
Thank you. Smile

amother

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 10:09 pm
I would but my DH wouldn't and all his more modern family so it would get very complicated.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 11:43 pm
No.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen