Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Wedding halls in Brooklyn/Queens/Long Island

amother

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 9:20 pm
My daughter is IY"H about to get engaged soon and I'm looking to make a wedding within an hour's drive from Brooklyn. We are looking for smaller halls, as it's a small family and will have about 100 people total in attendance and don't want the affair look sparse. Our budget is $50 per person for the hall + food.

I'm very out of touch with the wedding scene and I know that a lot of the halls in Brooklyn are cheaper than this, but are huge and have minimums, but her and the chosson-to-be would prefer smaller and elegant if possible.

I would appreciate any leads on halls that might be a right fit for us. Thank you!

manyhats

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 9:31 pm
Young Israel Forest Hills

Queens NY

718 268-7100

Recently refurbished.

No elevator. Stair-lift.

No parking. Valet parking

Suitable for your size.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 9:37 pm
Sisu v'simchu on 18th Avenue in Boro Park. I got married there and it was wonderful.

JewishMommyNYC

Post Sun, Apr 27 2014, 9:44 pm
Temple torah in little neck, Queens. It's right next to great neck. It is absolutely beautiful. Call to see how they can work with your budget. They use colbah to cater but they might be able to get other food in.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:
Sisu v'simchu on 18th Avenue in Boro Park. I got married there and it was wonderful.

Do they have a minimum?

Any other suggestions for smaller venues like ones that usually cater Bar mitzvahs? Any idea in the 5 towns?

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 1:20 pm
I know that the White Shul in Far Rockaway/Lawrence has a hall. Maybe check into it.

Also Beth Shalom in Lawrence/Cedarhurst.

Mazal Tov!

JewishMommyNYC

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
Do they have a minimum?

Any other suggestions for smaller venues like ones that usually cater Bar mitzvahs? Any idea in the 5 towns?

The place I told you about can do small parties. Temple torah

groovy1224

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 1:31 pm
I've been to small weddings in all the following places. They were all done by families who couldn't spend a lot, but wanted something nice. And all were small weddings and didn't look empty.

B'nos bais yaakov in Far Rockaway- has a simcha hall called Ateres Nechama Liba. Number is (718) 337-6000.

Beth Shalom in Lawrence.. you can find the info here:
https://bethsholomlawrence.org.....-now/

The white shul in Far Rockaway...the number of the caterer there is 718-327-3575.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 1:33 pm
I once went to a beautiful small wedding at Ohr Torah in North Woodmere: http://www.ohrtorah.org/.

You might want to check out venues usually used for bar mitzvahs and the like. That's probably the right size for your needs.

Mazel tov!

doctorima

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 2:08 pm
Definitely look into Young Israel of Avenue K. They have an elegant hall and wonderful in-house caterers, which saves you even more because you don't pay anything for the hall. I believe their minimum is 100. I've been to Bar Mitzvah, small weddings, and annual dinners there, and everybody always has great things to say. I believe the caterers are called Classic Catering (Feuereisen - sp?) - 718-692-3100.

Kitten

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 2:19 pm
Sisu v'simchu in BP on 18th Ave. They usually cater for bar mitzvahs and small chasunas. The minimum is 50, I think. I looks very nice and the food is good. I would definitely plan a simcha there.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 2:34 pm
Try chasam sofer Shul in manhattan lower east side

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 2:51 pm
Renaissance ballroom in boro park. It's really nice. I don't know the price though.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 8:34 pm
dh is a rabbi so we go to many weddings. Chasam Sofer is nice and has an outdoor venue for a chuppah but being in Manhattan the parking is tough.
I have a soft spot for the White shul - relatives have made both Bar mitzvahs and weddings there. The shul lends itself nicely to a central chuppah that all can see. The catering there is superb.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 10:06 pm
Thank you everyone for your responses! I've gotten quotes from a few, am waiting back on calls, and have a bunch more calls to make tomorrow!

I have a question about weddings in shuls that have in-house caterers. I'm very used to Brooklyn style weddings where the hall director takes care of everything (ie arranges the set up for kabbalas panim and the chosson's tisch and runs the family through every step of the wedding) and basically acts as an event coordinator so all the family needs to do is pick out the menu and arrange for the flowers, music, and photography.

In shul weddings do the caterers arrange all this and set the pacing for a seamless wedding? Or do I generally need to tell them what we need to do every step of the way?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics