Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
How much do the mags pay for articles/stories?

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 5:29 pm
I am a published author writing for a few magazines but I'm still unsure as to what the proper amount of money to expect is.

Any info. anyone?

Thanks

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 6:45 pm
The standard rate in heimishe magazines is .10/word (much lower than the rate paid for writers elsewhere). Different pieces (like for one requiring multiple interviews) may pay differently. Articles published in the junior sections may receive even less.

Shorter articles are usually around 1200 words while features and stories can be over 3000. Depending on how quickly you write, how long u spend interviewing, researching, editing and polishing, and how much back and forth is required afterwards with editors, this can either be a nice side income or u may feel as though you're almost working for free. Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 8:54 pm
Thanks for the information.

I hear what you are saying. BH I enjoy writing and love getting published but, we'll see about the practical aspect of the job!

Do you happen to know how much each mag Binah, Mishpacha, Ami pay specifically?

Thanks!

d l

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 9:08 pm
I'm a reader- not a writer, but that is crazy that they get away with paying so little!

That does not sound like a lot for time and talent that must go into writing.

And I'm sure the magazines do very well with all the ads that they sell. I hope they value their regular writers more and pay them better than that.

I am really surprised to hear that price- that just does not sound fair to me.

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 9:25 pm
d l wrote:
I'm a reader- not a writer, but that is crazy that they get away with paying so little!

And I'm sure the magazines do very well with all the ads that they sell. I hope they value their regular writers more and pay them better than that.

Most of the articles require a LOT of work and editing even after they come in. They pay more for material that is more or less "good to go."

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 9:29 pm
amother wrote:
The standard rate in heimishe magazines is .10/word (much lower than the rate paid for writers elsewhere). Different pieces (like for one requiring multiple interviews) may pay differently. Articles published in the junior sections may receive even less.

Shorter articles are usually around 1200 words while features and stories can be over 3000. Depending on how quickly you write, how long u spend interviewing, researching, editing and polishing, and how much back and forth is required afterwards with editors, this can either be a nice side income or u may feel as though you're almost working for free. Very Happy

How would I be able to submit work to a magazine?

Should I go about conducting an interview, writing a piece, and then submitting it to the editor?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 9:38 pm
d l wrote:

Everyone knows that writing is a tough profession to enter. It doesn't pay much at all.

In the secular world, the pay is often commensurate with education. But not too many people in the frum world have that education.

debsey

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 9:49 pm
As you get better known - either with a "niche" or because you are reliable about deadlines, can turn out a well-written piece relatively quickly, etc., the pay goes up.
It's still not much. Sad
debs

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 10:36 pm
Most articles are 10 cents per word.
you can always try submitting an article, but some amgazines, like binah, like getting a pitch beforehand so that you can even see if its worth putting in your time and effort. sometimes they want a different angle than theyre working on.
You can join our authors group at soferet-subscribe@googlegroups.com, we're a great bunch.

amother

Post Mon, May 12 2014, 11:13 pm
Thanks MamaBear, you seem quite knowledgeable in these areas! I was wondering bec. I've been doing alot of writing and I felt I was getting paid too little by one mag and now I'm quite sure that is true! Hm...how do I go about fixing that?

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 12:02 am
Ami pays 10 cents per word.

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 12:49 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for the information.

I hear what you are saying. BH I enjoy writing and love getting published but, we'll see about the practical aspect of the job!

Do you happen to know how much each mag Binah, Mishpacha, Ami pay specifically?

Thanks!

I'm the first amother who responded. I believe the rates are comparable at all three.

Regarding the submission question: As pp said, first pitch an idea before you start running around doing interviews and writing full features. However, you can try to submit a short personal piece or fiction story, and if they like it, that can help you get a foot in the door.

Best of luck!

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 7:59 am
You have also mags who don't pay. Just saying, ask them before agreeing. Some seem to think everyone knows their policy.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 8:06 am
I know someone who wrote a regular childrens story for mishpacha. She got about $25 per story.

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 9:08 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Most articles are 10 cents per word.
you can always try submitting an article, but some amgazines, like binah, like getting a pitch beforehand so that you can even see if its worth putting in your time and effort. sometimes they want a different angle than theyre working on.
You can join our authors group at soferet-subscribe@googlegroups.com, we're a great bunch.

Is this just for published authors or people who are seriously thinking about writing but don't know where to start?

ElTam

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 5:41 pm
The Writer's Market is a great book to get you started. There is a special edition for magazine writers.

I strongly recommend that people branch out from the frum magazines when looking for outlets to place their articles. So many people want to write, that the law of supply and demand dictates they can pay less than other places (the same goes for food and parenting magazines, who have writers knocking down their doors).

Here are some tips to put yourself ahead of the competition:
1. Take the time to read and really study the magazine you want to write for. This will help you tailor your pitches to the publication. If they don't run many (or any) first-person stories, there isn't any point in pitching a story about "My experience with medical condition X."

2. Find out how they want to receive pitches/submissions. This may be in the magazine, on the web site, in The Writer's Market. If all else fails, call and asks how you can get a copy of their submission guidelines. Once you have them, FOLLOW THEM. Most publications are perennially short-staffed. If you can show them from the outset that you are easy to work with, you will be head and shoulders above the majority of your competition.

In answer to your piece depending on
1. the publication
2. the length
3. who you are (do you have a recognized name or expertise, how much experience do you have, etc.)

pay for a magazine piece can range from $50 (e.g., for a 500 word piece by an unknown author in a parenting magazine) to $5,000 (for a big-name author in The New Yorker).

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 6:08 pm
it's for those who want to be published as well - anyone who can write and desires to write.

amother

Post Tue, May 13 2014, 9:42 pm
MB, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club