Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Denim skirts
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:21 am
I'm having such difficulty finding denim pencil(or straight) skirts at a length that's appropriate for me. All the skirts that I've seen (in Brooklyn, anyway) are hitting right at my knees, which I find to be too short, especially when I sit down. Dress Barn carries denim skirts but I personally don't care for the fancy, embellished back pockets. I find that this brings too much attention to the rear.I just want a simple, no frills denim skirt that reaches a few inches below the knee. Does this exist? Ordering online is out of the question bc I need to try on. Tia!

skymile

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:22 am
did you try Elzee?

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:31 am
How about a long one with a slit that you shorten and close up?

Get a seam ripper and remove the decorations- dont attempt this with embroidery, only stitches like with sequins and beads

Last edited by Iymnok on Wed, May 14 2014, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

4eyes

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:39 am
I have the same problem!

I found one at Lord and Taylor, its sort of a "fancier" denim fabric, very smooth and thin but with some stretch. It's the L&T brand and it does have a slit. The skirt fits very flatteringly (is that even a word?) even in a size up.

What I tend to do with these styles of skirts is buy 1-2 sizes up, so that it sits lower on my hips and hits longer down below the knee, and get the slit sewn up. You can also check the hem to see if there's room to let it down. This only works if the skirt is not cut to conform very tightly to the hips, otherwise it bulges out at the sides.

I have basically resigned myself that if I want a pencil skirt, especially denim, and I can't go to brooklyn or other areas with Jewish stores, I am going to have to make these changes. It's my dream to find a pencil skirt, wearable straight out of the store that 1) isn't snug on the tush 2) is long enough in my proper size 3) doesn't have a slit.

I guess we just have to keep dreaming?

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 11:58 am
my uniform is wearing out ... I too have been looking for a basic denim skirt [okay my ideal one is with a zipper in the front like jeans] - but the lengths are short [I'm short now imagine that] - they fancy them up with silly glittery things that don't make any sense

I guess I'm just a little more holy than I'd like to be [my skirt that is]

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:02 pm
You might find a dressmaker to get a pattern going for you that is exactly right.

You might have her use parachute cloth instead of denim. That has a little Spandex in it for give, not to be tight on you.

Or microfiber with a matte look. That would need a lining.

No set in waistband, just a few darts, facing, and a back zipper. Perhaps a back kick pleat, or not.

I get it that you just want a durable non-flared skirt, with a lady-like length and look, that goes fuss-free into the washer and the dryer. Or you might want a little flare, depending.

No, this shouldn't be as hard as it is.

Maybe the local tailor knows a craftswoman. Maybe he has her business card on his wall.

Pre-wash the fabric, so there are no surprises after the first wash.

Maybe somebody's uncle does business with garments and can get something going.

Denim has its own planet but there could be other planets too. There needs to be Another Denim.

Maya

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:11 pm
If you want to reconsider ordering online, Boden has some great denim skirts in tall sizes.

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:38 pm
Op here. Wow, everyone is so nice on this site. I appreciate your taking out the time to help me in my quest for the ever elusive, quintessential, perfect denim skirt. Anyway, is it possible for you to go on the Dress Barn site and give me your opinion on the "stitched pocket long denim skirt." It would make more sense if I just posted the link here, but I don't know how to do this. Maybe you can help me with that too.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:44 pm
http://www.dressbarn.com/detai.....57033

I like it - but they definitely make it less than desirable with the embroidered pockets

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 12:57 pm
http://www.dressbarn.com/detai.....0/401

here's another skirt - how tall are you ?

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:10 pm
greenfire wrote:
http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/classic-denim-skirt/101755500/401

here's another skirt - how tall are you ?

Op again. Greeny, that skirt would be so perfect if it were a few inches longer. I'm 5'2". I actually tried it on but it's just grazing the bottom of my knees.....too short. It hikes up when I walk. Not tzniusdik enough for me.

amother

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:13 pm
greenfire wrote:
http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/stitched-pocket-long-denim-skirt/101757033

I like it - but they definitely make it less than desirable with the embroidered pockets

Will I look dowdy and out of style wearing this skirt?

sgr

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:42 pm
I got a very nice classy one from polo a few years ago it wasn't cheap but has lasted really well and it's long enough I ordered it online .good luck!!!

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
Will I look dowdy and out of style wearing this skirt?

I really don't know ... but I myself might have to order one ... it's that or go naked as my skirt begins to fade away

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:15 pm
greenfire wrote:
http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/stitched-pocket-long-denim-skirt/101757033

Those stitches look large. They may not be noticeable when removed. A trip through the washer should smooth out the fibers, hiding the needle holes. Its just thick thread

The flaps on the pockets and the buttons can likewise be removed.

(Sorry, I sew. So when I go shopping I look for easily fixable, not perfect)

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:26 pm
I sew too - but I would never want to fix a denim skirt - also those stitches are rather large - I cannot imagine the wholes left to fade away that easy

although I once bought a tommy hilfiger denim skirt for my daughter for less than $5 with a hole near the back pocket & I took the little coin pocket off & sewed it over the hole - now the skirt was wearable - ah what a sale

greenfire

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
Op again. Greeny, that skirt would be so perfect if it were a few inches longer. I'm 5'2". I actually tried it on but it's just grazing the bottom of my knees.....too short. It hikes up when I walk. Not tzniusdik enough for me.

are they in the stores ... I've forgotten how to shop ... maybe I should go try one on for fit [I can't say I'm much shorter than you though]

mandr

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:28 pm
click here

I'm 5'8" and these J Crew skirts fall about an inch below my knee. Don't mind the model.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:29 pm
I have bought long skirts and had them shortened to just-below-the-knee-length.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 14 2014, 2:31 pm
http://www.denimskirts.com/ was nice when I bought there
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics