Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do SLPs in public schools make?

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 9:27 am
I can't come out and ask my friends who are working in the schools how much they make. I delicately asked them "do you think financially it's worth it for me to apply" and they kind of changed topics. I'm looking for a CFY and wondering how much I can expect to make. I love the schools but I have tuition to pay and loans to pay off so I need a reasonable salary! Can anyone give me an idea of salary in the schools?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 10:35 am
Depends where you live...

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 10:41 am
I am really curious as well

m in Israel

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 11:00 am
What city???

In NYC they make the same as teachers. Google nyc teacher salary schedule and you should get a link -- or you may be able to find it on the UFT site (although recently a lot of it has become members only so I'm not sure). It depends on your credentials and your years of experience, but starting salary with a masters degree is in the low 50's and it goes up each year. If you have extra credits that are not part of your BA or MA you can raise that as well.

momx6

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 11:08 am
Also something to consider: hopefully nyc teachers are getting a new contract so there will be a nice raise in the starting salary.

STMommy

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 12:41 pm
Totally depends on location.

wonderwoman

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 2:02 pm
I am making $46,000 (before taxes, with benefits) as a full time SLP in the public schools. I am in a large district (86,000 students) in a large Midwestern city. As ppl have said, really depends on location. Districts are usually proud of their transparency with salaries. Check out the salary schedule on the district website or call HR for help. Good luck.

cholenteater

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 9:23 pm
momx6 wrote:
Also something to consider: hopefully nyc teachers are getting a new contract so there will be a nice raise in the starting salary.

The new contract has gone through! When you Google for the teacher salary steps look for the one! I tried to copy and paste but on phone now so not working- you can PM me if you still want it. You can also go to nyc doe website and check out all the teacher benefits. There are many- health insurance policies, car and home insurance rates, teacher discounts at certain stores and so on. You can Google search for UFT benefits such as dental, eye care and perscriptions. Retirement funds called TDA are worth investing into. There are DOE benefits as well as UFT benefits so there is a great total package. Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 9:03 am
OP here. Thanks for the tips. I looked at various salary schedules and I also looked at a website that shows my state's public school teachers' salaries, searchable by name, so I searched some of the SLPs I know in the schools. Wow. People in my city are making anywhere from 43K to 87K, depending on the district and years of experience. I'm not in NY. 40s seems very low to me, I don't want to start out making so little. All these grad school loans add up to a lot. Confused

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 10:28 am
40s-50s is a typical salary for slp's in the public school. 87k would be after many many years. It's not such a high paying field. For some reason ppl think it pays. In reality OTs and PTs make more.

Early intervention pays better than public schools if you want to consider that but get used to driving around.

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 10:40 am
It all depends where you live. In NYC, SLPS make more than OT and PT and get better benefits. Id say on average starting is 45-50k which goes up with experience. It often also goes up if you get credits after your masters. There may also.be additional pay for working summers.

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
It all depends where you live. In NYC, SLPS make more than OT and PT and get better benefits. Id say on average starting is 45-50k which goes up with experience. It often also goes up if you get credits after your masters. There may also.be additional pay for working summers.

Where did you get that info? Starting salary for an OT in the NYC BOE is close to 60.

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 11:12 am
OTstart at 60k but dont really ever go up. SLPS go up very quickly within the first few years, especially with 30 credits post masters. I started at 60K too just cuz I had "school experience" and worked as a shadow for a year and a half...after 5 years I make 76. What do u make after 5 years?

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 11:43 am
OP said she doesn't live in NY. Outside of NY, public school pay for slp's is not great. Low-mid 40s is the starting salary and it goes up very slowly. I suggest another setting like early intervention which pays more.

And about NY public schools, starting salary is in the 50s for slp's. starting salary for OTs and PTs is in the 60s. but as a slp, you do not make 76k after 5 years (like another poster claimed). That increase is only if you get an additional 30 credits after you obtain your masters. I don't know any slp's who went and did this. Once you're working full time with a family and have that masters degree, it's not so simple to get another 30 credits. This is only in NY anyway which doesn't apply to OP.

amother

Post Fri, May 16 2014, 12:10 pm
Ok so I know this doesnt apply to OP but YES ton of frum SLPs do get the 30 extra credits. They take credits in anything. I took some hebrew TTI credits on Tanach or something like that and transfered to excelsior college. TONS of frum people do this. Its super easy. And yes I did it my first year with a family and I'm while having a baby that year.
Maybe it can help OP to know that if she needs extra credits for more money she can take cleps and Dantes tests in most districts to be eligible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics