Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Similar name as parents - ok or not?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Seraph

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 4:12 am
I know a couple- yona and yonit. If they had a son yonatan, it would just be going tooo far.

Ima'la

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 8:09 am
For a boy, you might want to keep in mind how it'll sound when he's called up to the Torah. I.e. Nosson ben Yonoson might sound a little funny...or you might not care.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 9:23 am
my dh is David ben Ishay... every time people laugh LOL
In the beginning I didn't believe him that his father's Jewish name was Ishai, it was too fun. And yes we do plan to use the name Shlomo Twisted Evil

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 9:38 am
Shalhevet, I know a Yaakova, Shimona, Yosefa, Davida ...

I'm Sara and was suggested an Avrohom; cutesy, huh?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 9:47 am
How about if the father is Tzvi and the daughter is Tzivia (called by her nickname: Tzivi) - My friend asked a shaila and was told they are two separate names. No problem.

smiley:)

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 10:21 am
My husband has a brother who is Shlomo ben Dovid. Someone else in the family has 2 kids - avraham and sarah.

realeez

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 11:52 am
breslov wrote:
I know a couple- yona and yonit. If they had a son yonatan, it would just be going tooo far.

I know them also Very Happy

I know of 2 mothers named Ayala who have daughters named Tzivia (basically mean the same thing) and one of them has a son Tzvi also.

Back in Tanach - Avner's father's name was Ner!

amother

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 12:28 pm
OP here
Thanks for all the replies. I love discussing names. Smile

BTW, my DH is a ger and one of the names suggested for him by Rav Fisher was ___________ Avraham. But he did not choose that because didn't want to be called up to the Torah as _______ Avraham ben Avraham - it would sound funny and would be a reminder every time that he is a ger (at least that was our thinking).

Seraph

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 4:09 am
smiley:) wrote:
My husband has a brother who is Shlomo ben Dovid. Someone else in the family has 2 kids - avraham and sarah.

I knew a couple that the husband's name was Avraham and the wife was Sarah.

Mommyabc- you sure its the same couple? There can't be two couples with the same name?

Oh, btw, I know a couple who's names are Simcha and Simcha.

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 4:12 am
I think I might also know the Yona and Yonit couple

Seraph

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 4:17 am
Does Yonit's maiden name start with a D? If so, then it probably is the same one...

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 5:00 am
Yea, the Yonit I am thinking of, her last name started with a D

Seraph

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 5:02 am
Small world.

I have to tell you, smiley, that whenever I see your screenname, it makes me smile... Just wanted to share.

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 5:06 am
Glad to be of service :-)

realeez

Post Sun, Apr 29 2007, 7:51 pm
I know her married name but did some research and yes her maiden name starts with a D Very Happy

Seraph

Post Mon, Apr 30 2007, 12:15 am
Wow. Who's up for another game of jewish geography?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 30 2007, 8:37 pm
I have 2 boys Yonatan & Netanel. While the "basicly" mean the same thing ,it's not exact. Also I know a brother & sister Tzvia & tzvi.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 12:27 pm
smiley:) wrote:
I think I might also know the Yona and Yonit couple

I know an Ori married to an Orit!

someoneoutthere

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 1:06 pm
GAMZu wrote:
I am wondering about names like Zev/Velvel, Aryeh/Leib, Shlomo/Zalman. Names that are the same, but one is Yiddish and one is Loshon Kodesh.

There are people (I can't say for certain if it was a community thing) who will take issue with that. If there is a living ancestor named Leib, they would not name Aryeh. Or Yehuda for that matter. Perhaps its a shtick from some corner of the Hungarian world but I definitely know people for whom that was an issue.

According to most rabbis that I've heard from, though, you can have a menachem and a nachman and a nechama all as one family if it suits you. The actual name is different even if the meaning is the same.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 11:24 am
My grandfather is Moshe ben Amram. A gabbi once refused to call him up to the torah because he thought the person giving the name was ,making fun of him!

My brother is Amram ben Moshe Aharon.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names