Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Camp Assistance?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 10:35 am
I'm asking on behalf of a client, as a social worker: Does anybody know of any organizations that can help pay for sleepaway camp in upstate NY? In this situation, sending the child away is a necessity, not a luxury. Thank you.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 10:37 am
Did you contact camp Sternberg/Mogen avraham? They probably can give you an idea. And I believe they offer a subsidized option as well.

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 10:41 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
Did you contact camp Sternberg/Mogen avraham? They probably can give you an idea. And I believe they offer a subsidized option as well.

A few years ago I tried, and they are very firm on their price - they changed ownership and no longer offered scholarships.

Other camps do offer reduced price if you ask.

amother

amother wrote:
A few years ago I tried, and they are very firm on their price - they changed ownership and no longer offered scholarships.

I'm not the OP.

amother

MaBelleVie wrote:

OP Here. Thank you. I did speak to the staff at Camp Sternberg; they are already giving a discount but the family still has to pay over $1,000 out of pocket, plus supplies, which they don't have.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 10:42 am
amother wrote:

Are you op? Maybe if a social worker is handling the case they have additional options? Did you ask for guidance in terms of applying for independent scholarships?

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 10:43 am
Is there any family that can help out? My siblings (myself included) are all contributing to send my niece to sleepaway camp, as it's not a luxury for her, it would be unhealthy for her to be home for the summer months. Several of us are digging into our pockets, knowing how much she needs this.

Also, there are camps that are way cheaper than others. She's going to a camp that's about $1400 per trip - about $1000 less than some others.

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 11:10 am
I'm previous amother. I'm in such pain reading this. I didn't end up sending dd there - and I really do think it was a necessity for her - she still has bitter feelings about it now (when she think about it). But we couldn't afford it. I would have managed paying $1500 . But $2500 was too much for us.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 11:14 am
yes it cost monies to transport her there as well as for a suitcase & personal items like shampoos, tampons, bathing suits ... they all add up

sometimes you have to find a local camp fund in your area that will help the cost differentials of sending kids to camp ... it's not always about the camp fees alone

ask around - perhaps a standing community member of their shul or your shul could get a fund started and have people pitch in ...

good luck !!!

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 12:15 pm
Try Camp Shoshanim and Camp Darom.

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 12:28 pm
Have you tried Camp Bais Yaakov?

Shoshie

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 12:45 pm
Did you try http://www.jewishcamp.org ? I have never contacted them so I'm unable to answer any questions.

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:
I'm previous amother. I'm in such pain reading this. I didn't end up sending dd there - and I really do think it was a necessity for her - she still has bitter feelings about it now (when she think about it). But we couldn't afford it. I would have managed paying $1500 . But $2500 was too much for us.

Please explain what makes sleepaway camp a necessity. If your home situation is dangerous, wouldn't it be dangerous all year round? Wouldn't you need a more drastic measure than a safe place for a couple months?

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 2:22 pm
amother wrote:
Please explain what makes sleepaway camp a necessity. If your home situation is dangerous, wouldn't it be dangerous all year round? Wouldn't you need a more drastic measure than a safe place for a couple months?

Why are you challenging her as amother? Besides the fact that it's none of your business, and you don't sound like you're offering to help, just criticize. Anyway, stop abusing amother.

good times

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 2:25 pm
Sometime the Jewish federation give out scholarships. You may also want to try Jewish family services

chaiz

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 2:29 pm
No experience with this personally, but heard about it, so hopefully they can help.
Keren Avrohom Eliezer Camp Fund
Leah Lipsker
What: Information, Applications
When: Call Anytime
Application Deadline June 1
Where: 822 Montgomery St, Brooklyn, NY 11213
Between Albany & Troy Aves
How: Phone 347.907.0863 / 718.774.5174
E-Mail : morahleah822@gmail.com

Hatzlacha Raba! Camp can do wonders for kids.

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 2:37 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Why are you challenging her as amother? Besides the fact that it's none of your business, and you don't sound like you're offering to help, just criticize. Anyway, stop abusing amother.

Technically nothing here is any of our business. If we can help, we do. If her daughter is not safe, then she won't be safe after the summer either. Perhaps, she needs a more permanent solution or counseling. Perhaps there are other girls that also need protecting.

I wasn't criticizing. I was worried and thinking the solution is inadequate. I don't feel like getting accused of being molested which is what happens when you worry girls aren't safe . I can't think of any other reason camp would be a necessity.

harriet

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 2:38 pm
bnos ruach chaim is $1400 I believe, before scholarships, although I don't know if they give any.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
I don't feel like getting accused of being molested which is what happens when you worry girls aren't safe . I can't think of any other reason camp would be a necessity.

I can think of other reasons. Emotional abuse, illness in the house, dysfunctionality, discord, etc...for some kids, the school year serves as a distraction, and they are surrounded by the support of teachers and friends. When all of this ends in the summer, those kids really benefit from sleepaway camp as a home away from home and a haven.

I never went to sleepaway camp myself, but when my mother was diagnosed with Parkinsons, and her illness progressed, my father sent my little sister to camp every summer. I do think it was important for her (necessity might be a strong word) though B"H he was able to afford to pay.

amother

Post Mon, May 19 2014, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
Technically nothing here is any of our business. If we can help, we do. If her daughter is not safe, then she won't be safe after the summer either. Perhaps, she needs a more permanent solution or counseling. Perhaps there are other girls that also need protecting.

I wasn't criticizing. I was worried and thinking the solution is inadequate. I don't feel like getting accused of being molested which is what happens when you worry girls aren't safe . I can't think of any other reason camp would be a necessity.

This is abuse of the amother feature.

If you wanted to help you could have offered to help without questioning her.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics