Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Kosher brands vs reg

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 8:49 am
using olive oil I bought from pesach ... I just realized the hugh difference in the price vs the price of ou olive oil bought at the regular store ... the same size bottle is $12.65 vs $6.89 pretty hugh mark up if you ask me ... what other outrageous price differences have you seen?

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 8:56 am
The only product I can think of offhand are the Heimishe cake mixes compared to Duncane Hines.

chen

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 8:57 am
Do you mean heimish vs. national brands or pesach vs. year-round?
From what I've seen some heimish products like canned pineapple are only a little more expensive or even the same price, while others are a lot more expensive. Baked goods come to mind right off the bat--the cost of a teeny little box of Schick's cookies vs. Stella D-Oro, e.g. (though some of Schick's etc. are more elegant-looking.)

The big thing I see is that you can count on national brands going on sale evry so often, but heimish brands either never do at all or do only right before pesach--and then it's only a very few selected products.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 9:10 am
heimish vs reg ... olive oil is oup year round ... but I buy heimish for pesach so I noticed the difference cause both bottles are sitting in front of my nose ... but there are other things too ... it feels so tough especially for those who buy heimish with everything ... like being frum means one must have more $$ just to cover these necessities ...

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 9:22 am
There is no need to buy olive oil with a hechsher year round. x virgin olive oil doesn't need a hechsher, so that is not a good example.

Everything on pesach is more expensive because of the extra hashgacha.

During the year, not necessarily are things more expensive.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 9:34 am
Raisin wrote:
There is no need to buy olive oil with a hechsher year round. x virgin olive oil doesn't need a hechsher, so that is not a good example.

Everything on pesach is more expensive because of the extra hashgacha.

During the year, not necessarily are things more expensive.

if they make it oup year round it is the same price all year ... I don't usually buy without ou but definately don't buy heimish but for pesach ...

shoy18

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 9:38 am
spices, heimish brands are usually cheaper than national brands. .99 for heimish brands and for mcCormack they are upwards of $2

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 9:39 am
Eggs.

I used to get my Pesach eggs at the Associated instead. Somtimes sugar, too.

ganizzy

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 11:39 am
I think heimishe brands are cheaper on some things especially canned veges. and spices.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 11:54 am
I didn't think eggs or sugar need to be heimish

anyway I buy spice classics for .50 year round - but that reminds me that for pesach unger's only had huge cinnamons left ... wanted a small one checked several times ... I finally just bought the huge one but I tell you I wanted to sell them in "dime bags" outside the store ... who needs so much cinnamon ?!?!?!

JRKmommy

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 12:01 pm
I buy cheap store brands when they have a hechsher, and find that's the cheapest option. (Prices are for No Name or President's Choice brands at No Frills store, all prices in Canadian dollars.)

No Name shake'n'bake - around $1, contains 2 packages
PC 2L carton of grape juice - $3 (FAR cheaper than Kedem)
PC 2L carton of promegranite/blueberry juice or orange/raspberry/cranberry juice - $2.50 on sale this week
14 oz canned chick peas - $.67
6 pk of individual unsweetened apple sauce - $2
No Name parev brownie mix (yummy but totally unhealthy) - $1.79
Derlea sundried tomatoes - $1.99 for an 8 oz packaged of dried, not packed in oil
No Name diced tomatoes 28 oz - $.87
900g No Name pasta - $0.87

Ok, how much of a geek am I that I knew all these amounts without being in the store or looking at my receipt?

brooklyn

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 12:03 pm
I never use cinammin, a nickle bag would be enough.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 12:09 pm
shoy18 wrote:
spices, heimish brands are usually cheaper than national brands. .99 for heimish brands and for mcCormack they are upwards of $2

Most stores have cheaper spices ranging from .59 - .99.

Like JRKmommy, I always buy the generic alternative (if it's kosher). It's generally much cheaper unless the name brand's on sale.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 12:39 pm
Me too, unless it’s poor quality and you end up throwing it away.

chen

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 12:58 pm
greenfire wrote:
... who needs so much cinnamon ?!?!?!

cinnamon is reported to help control blood sugar, so use some every day!

chen

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 1:00 pm
[quote="JRKmommy"]I buy cheap store brands when they have a hechsher, and find that's the cheapest option. (Prices are for No Name or President's Choice brands at No Frills store, all prices in Canadian dollars.)

I am traveling to Canada right now (now that I finally got a passport)--even in US dollars that would be cheaper than our prices! How much pomegranate juice will they let me bring back in without paying import duty? Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics