Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you have YT clothing?

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 1:19 pm
Do you have Yom Tov clothing? Some of my friends talk to me about their YT clothing and I feel embarrassed that I don't have any. I just have one skirt that fits me, and I wear it EVERY day, so don't ask me if I have YT clothing!
If you do, is it fancier than regular Shabbos clothing or just something newer? How do you define YT clothing?

Scrabble123

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 1:21 pm
To me, YT clothing is Shabbos clothing.

There is nothing wrong with wearing the same skirt for weekdays and Shabbos as long as it is fresh and clean for Shabbos. I have a skirt that I use in such a way, although I prefer to wear a dress for Shabbos/YT.

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 1:37 pm
OP you are not alone.

I also have one skirt that I wear every single day and I have also worn it to weddings with a nicer top.

I see all my friends with their clothing that is only for shabbos and I just sigh.

Do you have a second hand store near you? I have gotten really nice things there for next to nothing.

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 1:44 pm
I think some people buy new clothing for YT and then use it after that as shabbos clothing. That is what I do for my kids when the seasons change and they are growing. For myself - I don't buy as often as 2 tie=mes a year - but at YT time I do tend to look out for new things, but don't end up buying something new every YT.

ectomorph

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 1:51 pm
I try to get something new for Pesach, and wear it the rest of the year for Shabbos.

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 2:50 pm
amother wrote:
OP you are not alone.

I also have one skirt that I wear every single day and I have also worn it to weddings with a nicer top.

I see all my friends with their clothing that is only for shabbos and I just sigh.

Do you have a second hand store near you? I have gotten really nice things there for next to nothing.

OP here. You make me feel much better! By second hand store, do you mean something like a gemach? In any case, there is no such place near me. My DH also has only one pair of pants, so we keep each other company with our minimalistic wardrobes.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 3:50 pm
Second hand stores are either thrift stores or consignment stores. Once I discovered consignment shopping I felt so dumb for paying retail.

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 4:45 pm
Yeah...my YT clothing is my Shabbos outfit.

On Shabbos I wear my robe or pajamas. Smile

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 4:50 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Second hand stores are either thrift stores or consignment stores. Once I discovered consignment shopping I felt so dumb for paying retail.

I have yet to find a thrift store with an actual dressing room, so that limits my purchases significantly. For my kids, I'll buy jackets, shirt and pants a size or two up so they can grow into it, but not shoes because they're picky. For myself, it's basically just shoes and the occasional skirt.

No matter how little I paid for something, if it doesn't actually fit properly and look good on me, it's not worth the purchase.

/digression

yo'ma

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 4:53 pm
amother wrote:
I think some people buy new clothing for YT and then use it after that as shabbos clothing.

I hope this is what they mean. How could someone only have yt clothing abd then wear the same thing every yt? For shame!!!

mha3484

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 5:18 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I have yet to find a thrift store with an actual dressing room, so that limits my purchases significantly. For my kids, I'll buy jackets, shirt and pants a size or two up so they can grow into it, but not shoes because they're picky. For myself, it's basically just shoes and the occasional skirt.

No matter how little I paid for something, if it doesn't actually fit properly and look good on me, it's not worth the purchase.

/digression

I can give you the name of both consignment stores I frequent and they both have dressing rooms. Pm me if you want.

Factory Girl

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 5:32 pm
Oy.. I hope I don't come off as backside...
I have clothes separated into categories
1 - everyday simple things (denim skirts, simple shirts, things I wear to do errands and work, since I work with kids and I'm I'm usually in the floor. )
2- fancier things ( straight skirts, classier sweaters .that I wear out to dinner, birthday parties, job interviews.etc)
3- fancy clothes ( nice dresses,fancy shirts/blouses , which are for shabbas/yom tov/ weddings)

zaq

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 6:46 pm
Shabbat and YT are the same category. What, I'm supposed to have an outfit just for Shavuot? What would it look like-- a peasant blouse and skirt for bringing Bikkurim? Maybe I could I wear it on Sukkot, too, if it's not too chilly then?

zaq

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 6:55 pm
Thrift shops rock! You have to have patience and be willing to go back again and again till you find something good. My Shabbos-table long velvet skirt--elastic waist and washable--cost maybe $6, which is less than it would cost to dry-clean my Shabbos suit.

zaq

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:08 pm
Thrift shops rock! You have to have patience, though, and be willing to go back again and again till you find something good. My Shabbos-table long velvet skirt--elastic waist and washable--cost maybe $6, which is less than it would cost to dry-clean my Shabbos suit.

fmt4

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 7:12 pm
Yt clothes become Shabbos clothes... I like to get a few new things before rosh hashana for the fall season and before pesach for the spring season... Then they become integrated into my Shabbos wardrobe. And yes, they are a few skirts that I would wear weekday and Shabbos, mostly black or navy... Dressed up with a nice blouse and heels or dressed down with a t shirt and flats. But mostly my wardrobes are separate. I don't think it's the norm to only have one skirt for Shabbos and weekday, but I may be wrong.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics