Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Gown Fitting/Undergarment Help - Pleeease!

amother

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 2:09 pm
Please help!
I will be having my first fitting on my gown, for my grandchild's wedding, & was told to be wearing the proper undergarments.
First, I have no idea which stores in Brooklyn, I should go to, that have a good selection & reputation for a proper fitting (ideally, in or near the Flatbush/Midwood area).
Second, I need suggestions as to what type of undergarment(s) to look for. I am overweight, and my worst problem areas are my stomach and my midriff. (I have virtually no waist.) I need something that is smoothing and slimming, but at the same time, at least somewhat comfortable. I tend to get indigestion, when wearing things that are too constricting, and I want to avoid this. Also, I remember once wearing a one piece foundation, which was a nightmare, when I needed to go to the bathroom.
Ordinarily, I just wear underwear with a light control panel, & control top pantyhose, & I'm o.k. with that, even under my Shabbos, & dressy clothes. But my regular & even dressy clothes are not quite as fitted as this gown.

Kitten

Post Thu, May 22 2014, 2:28 pm
I think proper undergarments means the garments you would usually wear, like if you wear padded bras, don't have your gown fitted with no bra.
I'm sorry I can't help you as regards what type of undergarments you should wear, but I wouldn't go for something too constricting. First, you won't be comfortable. Second, it can make you look bigger than you actually are. Sometimes I see women who are so squeezed in restrictive clothing that I have the impression they are going to explode at any moment. I think you should keep with your control panel undergarments. Be yourself! I'm sure you are very nice looking.

RNworkingmom

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 5:13 am
I had a really good experience in Saposh on 18th avenue. They are very nice and courteous. They fit really well.

amother

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 6:50 am
U can try saposh on 18th ave like mentioned above or Your top priority on 48th street off thirteenth ave. There is another place called "my self" located on 51st and 13th. I've had good experiences in all 3!

tweety1

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 7:22 am
RNworkingmom wrote:
I had a really good experience in Saposh on 18th avenue. They are very nice and courteous. They fit really well.

ONLY SAPOSH. dont bother with the other ones

working hard

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 9:58 am
In flatbush, there is a small basement store on E 13th Street between N and O. She is excellent. She is called L and L Underfashions.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 11:15 am
http://closeouts.epicsports.co......html

what about something like this ... so you can still get the right style bra that's good for you without having to wear a one piece girdle ...

it is light to moderate shaping without the tightness of a corset

then there's always spanx - which sounds like no FUN - if you can't breath & think at your own simcha

http://www.barenecessities.com.....y4A1A

amother

Post Wed, May 28 2014, 10:20 pm
I really appreciate the replies, but they came after I had already done my shopping. I wanted to report back about where I went, and what I ended up with, so maybe it can help someone else in the future:
First, I went to Olga's on Nostrand Ave., since it's a big place, and I assumed that it would have the largest selection. Though I guess the saleswoman/fitter meant well, I didn't find her particularly helpful. I left there with a bra that I was happy with, but with a girdle that I settled for, but wasn't really satisfied with.
Then I decided to go to Saposh, where I have been in the past. The fitter, was very helpful. She recommended the same bra
(a Bali 180), to be paired with a shaper by a company called Illusion. It's lower in the front, so it can accomodate any bra. It comes up to the bottom of the bra, and has straps to keep it up. (I had asked in Olga's if they had anything like this, but they only had all-in-one pieces, where the bra part didn't fit me well.)
I wore it to the fitting the other day, for quite a few hours, and found it surprisingly comfortable.
Thanks again, so much, for those that took the time to reply.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics