Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Cholent without potatos and beans
1  2  Next

rainbow

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 9:10 am
Any ideas for a potato/beans-free cholent? Has anyone tried kasha? rice? or anything else? I've got the meat and chicken in the pot, but meat alone does not a cholent make.....

gryp

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 9:52 am
sweet potato?
barley?
carrots?

fake kishke balls can help it become a cholent too.

rainbow

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 10:04 am
Allergic to barley as well. Would sweet potato be just as good as potato in a cholent?

gryp

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 10:07 am
I wouldn't use sweet potato instead of potatoes, just as something extra to put in.

su7kids

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 10:17 am
Basically, whatever you put into a soup, but just know that the taste will be stronger after cooking for 24 h ours, but it will be more runny, and soup like, and it will be LOVELY to ahve nice hot meal for Shabbos day.

Onions, carrots, cerely (not too much, because it may get stronger), definitely yam or sweet potato, salt. Put in whatever vegetables you CAN eat.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 10:22 am
I don't think it would be a cholent then ...

su7kids

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 10:41 am
Define "cholent".

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 10:51 am
You don't have to eat chlent. Make someting else. Like stuffed cabbage, for example. Or put chicken on the blech.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 10:53 am
I use wheat kernels, sometimes called soft wheat, or wheat berries. You might have tasted it in sfardik "arisa". I used to put that and beans and barley, and now I just put in the wheat kernels, it has a great texture. Any supermarket has them.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 10:54 am
cholent - a traditional one-pot Jewish dish of meat, beans, potatoes, onions, barley, garlic and seasonings; traditionally made on Friday and slow-cooked for eating on the Sabbath;

this was actually in dictionary.com ... but stems from french meaning "hot pot" so I have heard

The word cholent is thought by some to be derived from the Old French words chaud meaning "hot" and lent meaning "slow". Others believe it is derived from the Latin calentem, meaning "hot" — a term documented with this exact meaning in the Spanish form caliente ever since the Late Middle Ages. Still others believe it to be derived from the Hebrew shoalin, meaning "cooked." The term chamin comes from Hebrew or Aramaic, and is mentioned in the Mishnah Tractate Shabbat (3:1).

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 11:56 am
I hav also heard that the word cholent is a bastardization of the words "shul's end".

gryp

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 11:57 am
maybe couscous instead of barley? or farfel.

Mrs. Mommy

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 12:00 pm
My father in law is on a very strict diet due to a heart condition and diabetes. My mother in law makes him his own "chulent" - she puts in chicken (he cannot have red meat) and squash - she cuts it into pieces, about the size of a potato for the chulent, and then spices it and cooks it exactly the same way she spices and cooks her regular chulent. It has the same flavoring as a regular chulent and it actually doesn't taste so bad.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 12:44 pm
Why not use gruenkern? Lots of people make stews with that, it's the green part of the wheat (I think). I've never made it, but my husband's friend makes it all the time.

You could make a stew with meat, gruenkern, carrots, onions, sweet potato, parsnip, and turnip.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 12:53 pm
We only eat cholent once a month anyway, such as it is. I rotate ALL food choices, we get tired of the same food week after week!

rainbow

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 4:35 pm
I will try the squash, carrots, chicken, meat, main idea being a 'hot' meal on Shabbos day..... Wheat won't work....allergic....

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 5:01 pm
My favorite is butternut squash with carrots and meat. Its our family favorite.

rainbow

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 5:31 pm
Pickle, I love your idea of butternut...I'm gonna go get some now and it'll be butternut squash, carrots, and chicken and meat. Thanks for all your ideas....

DefyGravity

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 5:49 pm
That DOES sound good, maybe I'll try that one week as well.

rainbow

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 6:01 pm
Pickle, do you cube the butternut squash? Approx. how much water? To cover? less? any spices? TY!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics