Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Online buying sheitels
1  2  Next

Seraph

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 7:26 am
Would you buy a wig online? I'm strongly thinking of doing that, because I want a really cheap synthetic one that I'll cover anyhow with a hat- and here, the cheapest synthetic one is 500 shek, but you can get a cheap synthetic one online for 10 or 20 bux.

amother

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 10:11 am
just to let you know......synthetic sheitels look HORRIBLE! they look like hair from a barbie doll......very plastic-y. you can buy a mixed blend of synthetic and real hair. if you're going to wear it under a hat, you should get a hat fall instead of a whole shaitel. falls are a lot cheaper, and it's really hard to wear a hat over a full shaitel. hat falls are made especially for wearing hats over them. there's a website called savvyshaitels or savvywigs, (I forget which one, but it's on of those 2 names). I have bought a shaitel online from there, and the shaitel is so beautiful and I love it. she even let me return a couple until she finally sent me one that was the right color for me. she's very flexible.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 10:13 am
from where, paula young? the only sheitals that looked nice from them that I got were worn with a hat.
wasn't worht it.

Seraph

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 12:06 am
amother wrote:
just to let you know......synthetic sheitels look HORRIBLE! they look like hair from a barbie doll......very plastic-y. you can buy a mixed blend of synthetic and real hair. if you're going to wear it under a hat, you should get a hat fall instead of a whole shaitel. falls are a lot cheaper, and it's really hard to wear a hat over a full shaitel. hat falls are made especially for wearing hats over them. there's a website called savvyshaitels or savvywigs, (I forget which one, but it's on of those 2 names). I have bought a shaitel online from there, and the shaitel is so beautiful and I love it. she even let me return a couple until she finally sent me one that was the right color for me. she's very flexible.

My whole point is I want it to look horrible. I am VERY anti sheitel. I would never cover my hair with someone else's hair. That is why synthetic is the only option.
The only reason I would even consider getting a sheitel is because I have the dilema that my hair sticks out of my tichels no matter how hard I try- whether by the ears or by my neck. I've even been shaving the hair that's sticking out but that doesn't even get it. So I said I'll get an insanely cheap and obviously fake sheitel that I'll cover with a hat- because thats the only way I'll possibly ever in my wildest dreams even consider wearing a shteitel.
And any sheitel I would get it wouldnt even matter how horrid it looks bec it'll only be an inch or two sticking out- I'd only wear the shortest sheitel and wear a chassidish type hat. Think williamsburg. You can barely even see the sheitel. I just want it for extra covering...

amother

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 2:46 am
I'm really happy for you breslov that you're so anti sheitel. really, I am. but speaking in such a holier than thou way, "I would never cover my hair with someone else's", is extremely chutzpadik. you don't have to agree with sheitels and you don't have to wear one yourself, but when you speak in such a holier than thou way, and when you refer to wearing sheitels pretty much the same way someone would refer to eating treif, it's extremely rude. sorry that we're not all breslov and holy like you, but we do our best. maybe some day we'll be able to live up to your standards. in the meantime, have fun in your plastic shaitels.

Seraph

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 3:24 am
How was I being chutzpadik? I was speaking the honest truth. I was explaining why even a mix of synthetic and real hair I wouldn't do. I would never wear someone else's hair over mine. Just as some other people would never eat yoshon or would never dream of eating non cholov yisroel.
How is that being chutzpadik? I was speaking the honest truth. I was explaining why even a mix of synthetic and real hair I wouldn't do.
I feel strongly about this.
But you're entitled to do whatever you want. My rav even thinks I'm nuts about this, so you're entitled to think I am as well. I have no issue with anyone who wears a real hair sheitel, nor do I think I am better than they are.
Its just something I would never do.
Consider it as if I said "I would never go skiing." Or something else innoccuous like that. I don't mean to say I'm frummer than anyone else in any way.
I'm sorry it came across as that.

(I didn't even use the word "you" this time...)

amother

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 3:27 am
amother wrote:

I bought a beautiful, soft synthetic sheitel online for $60/ Everone thinks it's a custom.

Seraph

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 3:47 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I bought a beautiful, soft synthetic sheitel online for $60/ Everone thinks it's a custom.

Can you direct me to the site?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 7:08 am
yeah, but for how long?

Seraph

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 7:12 am
chocolate moose wrote:
yeah, but for how long?
Please explain? I'm confused.

rainbow

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 7:29 am
Breslov, I just wanna say that this time......your post did not have an accusatory tone.....You simply expressed what YOU (Smile ) want to do, without questioning anyone else's behavior... Smile

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 7:44 am
I'm sure a synthetic sheital will look lovely straight from the sheital macher. But how long will it stay nice, that's my question.

amother

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 3:36 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
yeah, but for how long?

So far, mine has lasted 2 1/2 years! It still looks great!

timeout

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 12:53 pm
Breslov I'm really not surprised you feel so strongly about not wearing human hair sheitels, but than what's the deal with having internet?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 1:16 pm
Go, TIMEOUT !!!!!

timeout

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 4:13 pm
Idea

Seraph

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 9:40 pm
timeout wrote:
Breslov I'm really not surprised you feel so strongly about not wearing human hair sheitels, but than what's the deal with having internet?

I'm not sure I understand what the connection is between my stance on sheitels and internet? What does one have to do with the other?
My beleif is that something that has the potential to be used for both good and bad should be used for the good, and not just banned.
I drive a car, even though people die in accidents. I just took lessons to learn how to drive and drive carefully.
Internet has potential for bad, but I have a filter on it, and only use the inet for kosher things. My only use of the internet pretty much is:
Imamother
Yahoo mail
Israelnn.com
Managing my bank account and other bills
Listening to shiurim online

With internet used for only that, why is it a problem to have internet? I see no reason to ban it.

So please explain- what does my stance on not wanting to cover my hair with someone else's hair have to do with my having internet. If you can tell me a logical explanation, I'm all ears.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 7:30 am
Let me put it in terms that were explanied to me.

A married women must cover her hair with a garment.
a sheital is a garment (made of hair).
garments made of hair are not forbidden.

therefore..........

Blossom

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 8:06 am
Wow breslov, you are really taking a lot upon yourself. I'm awed(sp?).

There are beautiful synthetic sheitels that look like custom for the first 3-6 months but I've heard that they turn horrible for sure by one year. Try searching online. I think it's from companies like Noriko, Aster, Renee of Paris etc..

I don't wear synthetic so I can't give you exact advice, sorry.

I also know that Yaffa, Judy, and First Lady sell pretty synthetic sheitels but don't know how long they last.

Good Luck.

mannyzmom

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 12:11 pm
I think if youre covering most of it with a hat, you wont even see when the hair isnt nice anymore. synthetic last about a year depending on how often you wear it and wash it. but just to let you know, it is extremely uncomfortable to wear a hat over a sheitel, maybe try looking for a synthetic hat fall?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels