Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How much Bais Medrash tuition do I pay?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 5:16 pm
I got a bill for $20k for tuition and dorm fees. How much do most people pay? How much should I offer to pay?

SRS

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 5:25 pm
Why would you possibly think that you should not pay your bill in full at this point in time when budgets are set and schools are depending on what has been billed out?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 5:43 pm
SRS wrote:
Why would you possibly think that you should not pay your bill in full at this point in time when budgets are set and schools are depending on what has been billed out?

Because we won't be able to afford to send him for a second and a third year unless we reduce it.

SRS

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 6:42 pm
Where you not supposed to deal with this back in May or something?
If you should have dealt with it, I think you would be obligated to pay up.
If the school is so helter-skelter that they are negotiating past Sukkos on what parents will pay, then I guess it is their own fault and gezenterheit and you should offer what you can pay and not a penny more.

But really, Jewish schools deal with negotiating ridiculously late. In every other system the enrollment and the bill come together.

Leahh

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 8:13 pm
SRS wrote:
Where you not supposed to deal with this back in May or something?
If you should have dealt with it, I think you would be obligated to pay up.
If the school is so helter-skelter that they are negotiating past Sukkos on what parents will pay, then I guess it is their own fault and gezenterheit and you should offer what you can pay and not a penny more.

But really, Jewish schools deal with negotiating ridiculously late. In every other system the enrollment and the bill come together.

I am not op
But, my son's yeshiva sent out tuition statements in mid august for this school year. We called to negotiate and settle with them but never got a call back after numerous messages left. We finally spoke to them last week and settled on an amount that we both agree to.
So no, it's not necessarily op's fault that this is happenieng now.
That being said, I do not have a son in beis medrash so I can not help with an amount.

SRS

Post Sun, Oct 05 2014, 8:20 pm
Leahh wrote:
I am not op
But, my son's yeshiva sent out tuition statements in mid august for this school year. We called to negotiate and settle with them but never got a call back after numerous messages left. We finally spoke to them last week and settled on an amount that we both agree to.
So no, it's not necessarily op's fault that this is happenieng now.
That being said, I do not have a son in beis medrash so I can not help with an amount.

When was the scholarship application due? Like I said above, if this is how they run their business, well, I guess they have this craziness coming their way and it is their own fault. But my assumption is always that when I sign up for something I am on the hook for the bill unless I've come to a WRITTEN deal beforehand that is different from a published price.

I'm fully aware that many parents just don't have what to pay, but this way of doing business is simply unhealthy and it has consequences. If the school has no process, their fault I guess. But really the way of negotiating everything at the last second isn't "sweet" as is derachei torah darchei noam.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children