Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Need Ideas for an entree/appeteizer
1  2  Next

cy

Post Sun, Jun 05 2005, 11:28 pm
Anyone have any ideas for something to serve before the main dish/es for a fleishig meal?

chavamom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 12:32 am
Have you tried the wantons from Kosher By Design? They are delish.

Suzie Fishbein did a fundraiser here in town where she made several dishes at a local 'culinary institute'. We had stadium seating and there were cameras to see what she was doing. I've made them several times since, and t is not hard at all. The only 'labor intensive ' part is standing there frying them.

Won Ton Wrapped
Chicken with Apricot Dipping Sauce

Marinated chicken:
3 t. brown sugar
2 t. salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 t. dry sherry
2 t. cornstarch
6 T. vegetable oil
1 t. soy sauce
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts – cut into 1 inch cubes

Wrappers:
1 12 oz. package won ton wrappers
2 C peanut oil

Apricot Dipping Sauce:
12 oz. apricot preserves
4 t. yellow mustard
4 T. teriyaki sauce

Marinated Chicken – Ina small bowl combine the brown sugar, salt, garlic, sherry, cornstarch, vegetable oil, and soy sauce. Mix the chicken squares with the marinade; cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Wrappers – Lay the won ton wrappers in a single layer. Place 1 square of the marinated chicken in the center of the won ton wrapper. Dab a small amount of marinade on each of the corners. Fold the won ton over the chicken by bringing each of the corners to the center of the square, overlapping slightly, like a squared envelope.

Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet until hot. Cook the won ton wrapped chicken for about 2 minutes per side, turning once.

Apricot Dipping Sauce – In a small bowl, blend the apricot preserves, mustard and teriyaki sauce. Serve 4 won tons on each plate with the dipping sauce in the center.

cy

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 8:42 am
where do you buy wonton wrappers?

daisy

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 9:30 am
There are some made by Nasoya with a hechsher. This company also makes tofu and I found them next to the tofu at a large supermarket. BTW, I have had the above wontons and they are excellent.

cy

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 9:41 am
where would I find peanut oil? in the regular oil section of a supermarket? is it very expensive?

chavamom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 10:52 am
You can find it at a grocery store, at least here, but if you can't find it, just fry it in regular oil. At the presentation I went to, she said that peanut oil is good for frying b/c it holds up well under high heat, but it is not necessary. Any oil you can deep fry in is fine.

cy

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 1:03 pm
Is canola oil okay?

cy

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 4:44 pm
do u have to cook the chicken before hand? bec. it doesnt make sense to have to just fry them for 2 minutes on each side.

chavamom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 5:22 pm
I've made them with canola oil and it was fine.

The chicken is not cooked beforehand, but the pieces are so little (1 in squares) they cook quickly.

cy

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 6:25 pm
what is dry sherry?

myomi

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 6:33 pm
its a type of alcohol,I have seen "cooking sherry" in grocery sotres to use for cooking.

chavamom

Post Mon, Jun 06 2005, 7:07 pm
I think I substituted dry wine or vodka for the sherry. It was still delicious.

queen

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 9:05 am
sounds great!!!!! Would a local Giant supermarket sell those wontons??

pardon my ignorance... but what is a wonton? Once fried, is it crunchy or still dough-e?

queen

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 9:06 am
Just found this link for Nasoya Wontons-

http://www.nasoya.com/nasoya/p......html

chavamom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 11:18 am
They are crispy and crunchy once fried. I don't know about Giant selling them - but they have them at our local supermarket and sell them near the tofu (they are refrigerated).

Chanie

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 2:32 pm
Quote:
Is canola oil okay?

the reason for peanut oil is it could get to a much higher temperature without burning, but you can use other oils for deep frying just keep a closer eye on it.
And it's not outrageously expensive.
Quote:
where do you buy wonton wrappers?

I find wonton wrappers in the freezer isle at my local supper market.
Quote:
have seen "cooking sherry" in grocery sotres

I've been told that it's best to use real wines in cooking and not cooking wines cuz the inferior product will not have as good of a taste.
Quote:
pardon my ignorance... but what is a wonton? Once fried, is it crunchy or still dough-e?

the wonton dough is a very tin square basic dough, sort of like kreplach dough. It does get crunchy when fried

cy

Post Tue, Jun 07 2005, 10:33 pm
any other ideas besides the wontons?

cy

Post Wed, Jun 08 2005, 1:35 pm
okay, I found the wonton wrappers. I need to know how you serve it on the plate, can it be over rice with the sauce poured over it, or should it be plain with a like a little plastic schnapps cup in the middle with the dip. I want the plate to look pretty.

cy

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 10:15 am
anyone have kosher by design cookbook, that can look to see if she shows a picture how to serve the wontons. I want to know how to serve them. thanks

micki

Post Thu, Jun 09 2005, 10:51 am
I just went to an demo of susie fishbeins last night. yum yum!
anyway she made an appetizer which was sesame noodles and a skewer of bbq meat.
sear the meat, then smear w/ bbq sauce the last 2 min. slice and poke a toothpick or kewer in.
noodles cook- then mix toasted sesame oil soysause, sugar and sesame seds with green onions, toss the noodles.
she then put noodles into a martini glass and layed the meat toothpick over it.
yummy!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics