Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Girls MO High Schools

jayne

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:11 am
What else is there to consider besides Bruriah and Maayanot? And how would these two compare to each other? My 8th grader goes to a more modern BY elementary school and is a strong student.
Thank you!

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:22 am
How far is she willing to travel? The main difference between the two is that Bruriah is a little more to the right- I'm pretty sure they don't teach Gemara (or of they do, they don't require it) while Maayanot does.

jayne

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:23 am
I'd need transportation from Monsey, which both those schools provide.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:31 am
Then I would definitely stick with those two options. The others are in Queens and LI. I doubt she would want to make that kind of trip!

jayne

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:48 am
thanks. I would love insight into these choices.

b from nj

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:19 am
Bruriah is further from Monsey & not really considered MO (as compared to co-ed schools like Frisch etc). They enforce a lite BY-type dress code (skirts need to cover knees, elbows & collarbones covered etc) whereas the girls from Ma'ayanot wear very short skirts, short sleeves & the dress code at Ma'ayanot is not at all enforced from what I see & am told.

Ma'ayanot is definitely considered more "modern" than Bruriah & Bruriah although not a BY is more BY-like in terms of the administration & hashkafa. As someone else said above, Gemara is Ma'ayanot's claim to fame. The girls learn many periods a week of Gemara & it is definitely not the focus at Bruriah.

There is also Central in Queens (very far from Monsey) & I think there is Shalhevet in the 5 towns but I'm not as familiar with those schools.

Hatzlacha in finding the right fit for your DD. It's not an easy process. BTDT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children