Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Chizuk needed-My teenage son going through a depression

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:24 pm
My teenage son, who is in high school in another state is going through a depression. Over the summer we regulated his medication, everything seemed to be fine. He started the school year with great marks, and last night he called and says he's depressed again. B"H he's going to his psychiatrist tomorrow, but it is so hard not being there!!! Tonight he texted me saying he couldn't concentrate in class so he went to bed. His dorm counselor says he's doing well....I'm not getting that picture from my son:(

I need chizuk! Has anyone been through this.
No bashing pls, I have to send him away for high school - that's not a choice, he wants to be where he is, but just struggling.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:37 pm
Hugs.

proudmother1

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:47 pm
How far is he? Can you visit more often?
He may be missing home a lot.
Send him love in any way you can. Even just a care package.
His favorite snacks. Put in a little "love" note.
Pictures.

Hugs.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:50 pm
I wish I could visit him, it's a plane ride away - not cheap for last min flights.
I've been texting him and telling him how much I love him etc.
Care packages are a good idea:)

thanks,

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 7:52 pm
I know the young man has a proper diagnosis and is being professionally treated, but being physically cold or having to study with inadequate reading light, it is remotely possible, are things that, if so, may also weigh on his state of mind.

Stuff sent by mom is tangible evidence of her love, and also may really help. Maybe. And everybody loves to get a package.

I am aware there is more to his difficulty than the lack of a space heater.

But, for instance, Staples sends with free, overnight, shipping, and has things you would never think they have. Peruse their paper catalogue.

I have used them to overnight a space heater to somebody at school who was chilly, a lamp to somebody who had to study in a room that was too dark, and lots of candy to someone who needed that. You get the idea.

From housewares websites, and LL Bean, I have sent blankets, sheets and mattress pads, as needed.

Maybe find out if he's cold, has enough light to read by, and if he needs any candy. Men are too shy to say they need those things. They think they should be hardy.

And they never think about it.

Hurray for Staples.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 11:58 pm
I think the care packages (as mentioned above) - and maybe even daily letters - can help! And frequent calls, too.

BIG HUG.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 12:14 am
Someone needs to physically be there for him. He needs someone who will get him out of bed. He needs connection and concern and pushing (not to learn, but to just function, or even, not be in bed).

My DS's teacher would come to our home, go to my DS's room, and help him out of bed. More than once.

I handed my DS a book called, "The Feeling Good Book" by Dr Burns. It's a must read for anyone dealing with depression.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 03 2014, 7:04 am
Thanks so much every one
I'll be off to the post office today:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children