Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Any quilters out there?
1  2  3  Next

jkw

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:54 am
I am interested in learning more about quilting. Any quilters out there? Any organization that has Jewish quilters in it? Learned about Sew-Materialistic in Bklyn too late I guess -- anyone know if it still exists?

Put in this topic b/c quilting started out as a frugal idea to reuse worn clothing...

TIA

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:01 am
I'm a quilter but I don't live in Brooklyn.

Have you made anything yet?

jkw

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:25 am
just a wall hanging. I like doing it all by hand. Am working on a twin bed quilt. Learned mostly by craftsy. Major problem right now is cutting and piecing properly. Any tips or videos to suggest? I found craftsy already.

What have you made? Is a crib quilt hard (for example)

musicmom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:27 am
I made a crib quilt! It wasn't so hard.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:33 am
Sew Beary Special
1025 E 28th St, Brooklyn, NY 11210, United States
(718) 951-3973

I'm not sure if she is still open and does it, or even for quilts, but you can call and find out.

BTW, Sew Materialistic doesn't really exist anymore. If you want something, I'll be there iy'h the end of January till mid February, so if you need anything, pm me before I leave, so I can give you my number when I'm there. I mean things from the store Wink .

jkw

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:38 am
thanks so much for the info! Just signed up for Quilting with Malke blog (yes, it is still on wordpress) and wanted to connect with others. Are there ever quilting classes in Bklyn? I don't live there but am there often.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:51 am
jkw wrote:
thanks so much for the info! Just signed up for Quilting with Malke blog (yes, it is still on wordpress) and wanted to connect with others. Are there ever quilting classes in Bklyn? I don't live there but am there often.

The blog is still up, but she was niftar over 3 years ago. Call the number I gave you and see if she gives quilting classes. As far as an orginazation for jewish quilters rubber ducky might know because she quilts and I know of another poster whose mother quilts and she's part of a quilters group, but I don't if it's only jewish and right now I can't remember her name. When I do, you can pm her.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:16 am
I've made crib quilts, table runners, a couple of twin-size quilts, lap quilts, and a few unfinished wall hangings.

I use a method known as English paper piecing. This is a hand-piecing method. You can find some tutorials on YouTube. I buy paper templates like these: 8-point diamonds or print and cut my own.

Intermittently there have been a few small quilters' groups in Baltimore. Not sure there's anything here currently, and for sure I don't know what's flying in Brooklyn.

An online imamother quilt group could be fun — if there are more of us. Or maybe a more general crafting group.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:27 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
An online imamother quilt group could be fun — if there are more of us. Or maybe a more general crafting group.

There is this. I know it's not the same thing, but...

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:33 am
Hmm..Maybe. But it doesn't look too active currently.

I was thinking of something more process-oriented. More like a quilting/crafting support group.

jkw

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 5:53 pm
Rubber Ducky

I would LOVE to have such a group! Even if we never actually meet...
Anyone know how we do this? Just ask Yael if we can have a group?

BTW, couldn't link to the 8 diamonds. Can you please repost link? I am very curious.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:11 pm
Try this link: 8-pt diamonds

8-pt diamonds are the basis for LeMoyne Star and Lone Star patterns.

jkw

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 7:54 pm
Look at this pattern! No way I can attempt such a thing yet, but look at all the Magen Davids in the pattern!

http://www.paperpieces.com/con.....3.pdf

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 8:50 pm
Nice! If you adapted the pattern to table runner size it would be less intimidating.

theta1870

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 1:10 am
I've been quilting for over 20 years. My love is handwork but I don't have as much free time as I used to so I do a lot of machine-piecing and quilting. I've done wallhanging to queensize bedquilts.

jkw

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 7:50 am
Hi theta1870! Wow, over 20 years. and a hand quilter to boot! Any favourite tips for hand quilting? My main issue is the cutting out b/c I'm left handed and using the rotary cutter opposite...should I make the pieces outsize and then cut them or what? What patterns do you do over and over? Share please!

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 9:31 am
Jkw, just get yourself a left-handed rotary cutter, like this:
Gingher left-hand rotary cutter on Amazon
Look at the 1st "available from other shippers" listing to buy one at a more reasonable price.

or this: Martelli Ergo 2000 Rotary Cutter 45mm-left Hand on Amazon

jkw

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 5:12 pm
WOW. Had NO IDEA a LH one existed....thank you! BTW, Yael says she'll set up a group for quilters -- so look for it and tell your friends! Very Happy

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 10:35 pm
jkw wrote:
...BTW, Yael says she'll set up a group for quilters -- so look for it and tell your friends! Very Happy

Excellent.

Kugglegirl

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 1:05 am
I wish quilting helped me be more frugal!

So far it's anything but that for me! You know, you start to put some fabrics together that you have on hand, and then you find that you really need some fabric to complement the 2 colors that go together, but need a bit of contrast.... and then there is the binding & that really should be a little more.. something...

And when you were at the fabric store, you saw the cutest print, and had an idea for something else. Or had no idea at all, but just knew that you had to have that fabric, because some day....

Probably we need some kind of 12-step group. I'll start here---"My name is Kuggle & I'm a stash-a-holic."
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing