Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Before Shabbos snacks
1  2  Next

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 5:31 pm
So I was home before picking up the kids... I put out nice healthy shabbos snacks..

Kids walked in... Mom we are starving..

I left the chicken on the counter to cool while I took a shower...

When I came out... who can guess what they were eating??

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 5:36 pm
That's not allowed in our house. Shabbos food is just that - for Shabbos!

On Friday you can eat frozen pizza, bagels, cereal and milk, anything else. NOT the expensive, time-consuming-to-make, Shabbos food!

As it is my kids get tired of the food after eating it for 2 meals in a row . . . .

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 5:42 pm
My kids are 1, almost 3 and 4. So they eat a shabbos dinner before shabbos because they are not staying up late to eat dinner with us.

Also my aunt would make food for before shabbos like an extrea kugel and chicken for before shabbos.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 5:46 pm
I never did that. As I said, the Shabbos food is for Shabbos. If the kids wnat to stay up . . . . .

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 5:49 pm
this is the first time the dove into the shabbos food Sad

bigmomma

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 6:05 pm
C.M. I've heard that you are suppose to taste from the shabbos food before Shabbos.....

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 6:06 pm
"Taste" doesn't mean "eat up".

Dini

Post Fri, May 18 2007, 6:15 pm
theres a halachah written in magen avraham that it s a mitzvah to taste the shabbos food to see if its good and those that do are zocheh to life. I must sound holier than thou but decided to ask my dh where toamehu comes from I was curious if it was written somewhere.

Seraph

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 3:59 pm
My step MIL serves everyone a nice big peice of potato kugel on friday afternoon. (It tastes much better than it does on shabbos, because it just came out of a steaming oven...)
Now I know where she got it from.

mimivan

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 5:04 pm
agreed, Breslov...in fact, the only purpose to my making a kugel to begin with was for nosh before Shabbos, since no one seemed to eat much of it on Shabbos...
We usually eat light on Erev Shabbos, have some of the chicken soup with knaidlach (sorry CM, we do diferently in our house). And then maybe some hot dogs or some schnitzel from the freezer. Crackers etc..

amother

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 5:08 pm
In the beginning, I used to get upset when DH would want some of the food that I made for shabbos, like cut into the fresh kugel, or take some fish or chicken, and then I'd worry that I didnt have enough, but then if I didnt let, I'd feel bad that he didnt have what to eat.

So I retrained myself to think that he is my DH, he deserves more than anyone else, and too bad if the others wont have 3 pieces of whatever. Now I always make a few extra pieces, so that even if we have extra guests, and even if he has, there's still enough, and I make something like rice or pasta dish that there's lots of, so he can have that.
Once I decided that he deserves, I dont feel bad anymore if he takes, and fridays are much smoother (It used to really bother me when he cut into a round kugel, now I just figure I'll set it out differently on the plate).

mimivan

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 5:10 pm
good thinking amother Wink

Raisin

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 6:40 pm
I make little extra challas to eat on friday. They taste so good fresh from the oven.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 10:21 pm
He should be happy he doesn't live in my house!

shoy18

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 10:24 pm
breslov wrote:
My step MIL serves everyone a nice big peice of potato kugel on friday afternoon. (It tastes much better than it does on shabbos, because it just came out of a steaming oven...)
Now I know where she got it from.

thats what I always have in my house, its so yummy!!! Sometimes If I make shnitzel or wantons ill leave some out in case dh is starving. And my ds always has a full meal before shabbos because hes sleeping before shabbos starts.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sat, May 19 2007, 10:29 pm
I wish I could get my kids to eat Kugel...

something I look forward to, if/when I get married... Making a real shabbos meal, currently everything is kidfriendly... because they are the only ones I am serving...

miriam

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 12:34 am
I give the kids french fries on Friday afternoon.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 4:10 pm
Miriam, isn't that a big job for a Friday? Cutting potatoes, frying and cleaning up all that oil?

greenfire

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 4:36 pm
friday afternoon snack consists of raiding the cake ... not the food ... you can have cereal if you want or a yogurt too ... the food is for when we sit down to the seudah ...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 7:38 pm
then you always have to bake, Gren, and if you're buying that stuff, you may as well give the kids chicken!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics