Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Kidney Donor needed for a five year old boy

supermom

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 11:15 am
Dear Friends,
I just found out about a beautiful five year-old Jewish boy who needs a kidney or he is going to die.
His blood type is "O".
The sad thing is: we can't find any type "O"'s willing to donate an UNNECESSARY, UNNEEDED kidney to save the life of this little boy.
Please let me know if you have an interest in doing the greatest misvah a human being can do.
Thanks very much and Tizkeh Le'Misvot in advance.
Sincerely Yours,
Jack Doueck

I got this in an email. It is a true story I spoke to the woman that is organizing this. Please if anyone knows of anyone please email KidneyMitzvah@aol.com her name is chaya.

This boy is from williamsburg, they are looking for someone in the brooklyn erea or someone willing to travel into brooklyn.

rainbow

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 1:33 pm
Oy, all I can do right now is daven for him. What is his name?

Is type o one of the rarer blood types?

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 1:44 pm
yes sadly it is a rare blood type...

rainbow

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 2:01 pm
(Thought it was the most common one.)

I hope someone with a type o kidney turns up a.s.a.p.

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 2:10 pm
What a terrible search to have to make, I realy feel for the family. Just out of curiosity how many of you would give the kidney if you had it to spare? Being a wife and mother of young children Ive asked before if I should give mine and was told not to because of the risk to me.

amother

Post Sun, May 20 2007, 11:44 pm
Quote:
Just out of curiosity how many of you would give the kidney if you had it to spare? Being a wife and mother of young children Ive asked before if I should give mine and was told not to because of the risk to me.

Is this too touchy a topic that it got no replies?

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 3:01 am
I would. I am an O but they said it is best that I don't since I don't live in the country, and I have five small kids at home.

supermom

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 3:02 am
amother wrote:
Being a wife and mother of young children Ive asked before if I should give mine and was told not to because of the risk to me.

What risks are there that there aren't any for a single person?

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:23 am
Its a beautiful thing to give but its not fair to say its
UNNECESSARY, UNNEEDED. You can live without it but if one fails thats why there is the other. You have to have the right info before making a decision

happyone

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 8:27 am
They prefer to take from someone who is not childbearing/planning for children at this point.
I probably wouldnt have the heart to say no if there was a chance I could save a child's life.
I've been making phonecalls non-stop for a nine year old in the need of a type O kidney. It's amazing how many people out there are willing to help and get tested for complete strangers. Mi Ka'amcha Yisroel! (unfortunately, nothing has panned out yet)
Did you try Renewal? They're an organization that helps with finding donors.
Good luck.

amother

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 9:42 am
Quote:
What risks are there that there aren't any for a single person?

The risks are the same but what I mean is that a married woman has many more family responsibilities. If I was single I would much sooner consider getting a surgery to remove a organ from my body to save someone elses life than taking the risks of surgery when I have a brood of kids waiting for their mommy to come home

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 21 2007, 1:45 pm
There are organizations now that match relatives who would like to help but don't match with relatives of someone else who would like to help but don't match. Most people would take the risk to help a close relative but not always a total stranger. Since these people are already ready to donate for the close relative, they simply make an exchange.
While most people could live without one kidney, there is that possibility that the remaining one could become damaged or fail. While the operation is low risk, it is not risk-free. Some individuals have conditions which makes surgery more risky for them. I don't think that donor programs should give people the impression that their spare organs are intended for donation. Obviously if spare organs were provided by Hashem for that purpose, close relatives would always match. It is a tremendous mitzvah to donate the kidney but is not an avaira to keep one's kidney out of fear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics