Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Need Craft Project Ideas for Women's Melave Malka
1  2  Next

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 8:21 am
Our shul is having a Melave Malka for women in about 3 weeks.

I need ideas for a craft project for women.
It needs to be:
• Hands on
• About 45 minutes or less to complete (or to get to where it could be easily completed at home)
• Not terribly messy

In the past we've done things like fancy gift-wrapping, cake & cookie decorating with fondant, and sushi making. I would prefer something not food-based. And the melave malka is scheduled shortly before Chanukah.

Ideas?

happy to be me

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 8:52 am
Jewelry making or any bead craft (salad spoons etc.)

spring13

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:06 am
My shul had an event run by a local artisan where we painted glass vases. She provided some instructions and ideas on techniques but everyone went ahead and did their own thing. It was fun!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 9:53 am
www.firemountaingems.com has great supplies, not expensive. They also have videos showing how to do various projects.

Probably best, of course, if you can get someone to come do the demo, and help the women. Also, she'll have tools, which would be expensive if you were to buy enough for everyone.

I am sure someone on here will know a jewelry maker in your area, or close enough to travel, if that's within your budget.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 10:22 am
I haven't worked out all the details yet but I'm thinking of doing a women's project event where we'd make soaps and bath salts and stuff like that. Seems fairly easy yet you come out with something nice that you can either use or gift.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 10:26 am
what about a group game? like one of those ice breaker things? Personally I would enjoy that more.

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 11:16 am
Creating a frame for a photo

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 11:18 am
what about aromatic candle making

although baking/decorating is always fun ...

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 11:19 am
Candle making can get messy... though it doesn't have to be too bad if you're careful...

Liebs

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 11:20 am
happy to be me wrote:
Jewelry making or any bead craft (salad spoons etc.)

spoons are so simple and easy to make. also only need tools for a little so can share. it's also great to give as chanuka gifts. can make small ones for dips or salad ones. really not hard. firestonegems.com or michaels.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 11:21 am
I love reading the ideas on these threads. So inspirational even if the likelihood of doing any of it myself is slim to nil. What kind of event is this for? Is it social or fundraising or support group or what?

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 1:18 pm
Flowers. You can just do a demonstration and have everyone watch and try it out. They don't have to keep the flowers or vases. That way it's a little less heavy on the pocket.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 1:53 pm
Making a challah cover. You make it out of a pre-washed 20 inch cloth dinner napkin.

You put the three letters that spell Shabbat in the center. A plastic letter template, normally used for teaching small children the alef-beis, will supply the three letters, shin, bet, tav. You plunk the Bet right in the middle. That's found by folding the napkin in quarters. You pinch the center point, and put the Bet on top of it.

You outline the letters with pencil or an embroiderer's pencil, then you embroider or paint the letters.

http://www.joann.com/dmc-embro......html

Don't use a magic marker or ballpoint.

Joann website has all sorts of tools and supplies.

Embroidery hoops, threads, needles:

http://www.joann.com/search?q=embroidery

Painting is easier than embroidering:

http://www.joann.com/search?q=fabric%20paint

Iced Cappuccino

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 3:17 pm
Decorating candles. I did this with a group of women and all really enjoyed. There are many different decorating options, we did stamping tissue paper and using a heat gun to melt it on the candle. Decorate with ribbons, leaves, twigs and gems and you have a beautiful centerpiece candle.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 5:58 pm
seeker wrote:
I love reading the ideas on these threads. So inspirational even if the likelihood of doing any of it myself is slim to nil. What kind of event is this for? Is it social or fundraising or support group or what?

We're an Agudah shul and the purpose of the event is primarily social. I'm the Sisterhood president. We have 2 or 3 women's melave malkas every year, and women's shalasheudases in the summer.

I'm still collecting ideas — any more?

jkw

Post Sun, Nov 16 2014, 6:38 pm
We had a Nshei event where all the women were given wires cut to make beaded napkin rings. Huge pile of beads to select and "string." Then someone with a pliers bent the ends so they hooked. It was a few years ago, and we're still enjoying using them. HTH

chickpea_salad

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 9:36 am
Decorate candles:
http://www.gatheringbeauty.com.....SsXSs

With Glitter:
http://apumpkinandaprincess.co......html

Felt gelt bags:
http://www.creativejewishmom.c......html

Hand made cards:
http://www.bhg.com/holidays/ha.....card/

Gift card cards:
http://www.marthastewart.com/2.....cards

[Or: learn how to insert hyperlinks]

luvtocook

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 10:12 am
Scrapbooking, get plain chargers and decorate them, flower arranging, different table setting ideas

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 17 2014, 4:14 pm
Anything with decoupage - I have seen some gorgeous effects and most basic projects can be done in around 45 minutes. Need something to decorate (glass looks amazing but may need more layers than you can do in one session... so maybe wood or if you're cheap cardboard) and various decorative napkins to cut designs out of. Because napkins are thin (separate to one ply) they look painted on. Between choosing designs, cutting them out carefully, and glazing them on (use Mod Podge) 45 minutes sounds about right. Needs some time to dry but not too much, so if you have the activity and then a speech/food/something it would be perfect.

anon for this

Post Tue, Nov 18 2014, 8:43 am
seeker wrote:
Anything with decoupage - I have seen some gorgeous effects and most basic projects can be done in around 45 minutes. Need something to decorate (glass looks amazing but may need more layers than you can do in one session... so maybe wood or if you're cheap cardboard) and various decorative napkins to cut designs out of. Because napkins are thin (separate to one ply) they look painted on. Between choosing designs, cutting them out carefully, and glazing them on (use Mod Podge) 45 minutes sounds about right. Needs some time to dry but not too much, so if you have the activity and then a speech/food/something it would be perfect.

I did this for my daughter's birthday party--they decoupaged wooden picture frames. They used model magic to make some of the design look three-dimensional. We got the idea from an event we attended.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics