Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Help with gift idea for teachers

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:28 pm
Long story short, I got locked out of sending in $20 with the whole class and having that being distributed among all of my kid's teachers. I would have very much liked to be included, but alas, that is not an option. My question is, what do I give now? Especially because I'll have to be spending more, as I cannot just give each teacher $5. Any ideas?

Fox

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:36 pm
Write a lovely letter to each teacher, thanking them specifically for whatever qualities they bring to the classroom. I have many positive letters and evaluation forms I received when I was a classroom teacher, and I still look at them from time to time.

If you can afford it, get $5-$10 gift certificates at a local coffee shop or the equivalent. It's always nice to have a small treat without feeling guilty about spending the money!

But if it's not in the budget, don't worry about it.

Sherri

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:39 pm
I'm sorry you weren't included, and I second the detailed letter.

morahaviva

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:40 pm
As a teacher who has 300 mugs, and more than enough soaps to clean a herd of elephants, I suggest something other than a mug or a soap set (I really didnt think I smelled that bad...) embarrassed

A gift card from starbucks (unless chalav yisrael of course), local kosher eatery, nail place, etc. Dont get a gift card for a waxing place though... that may be taken the wrong way.... shock

A gift certificate from Barnes and Noble or local seforim/ book store are usually appreciated. One would hope their childs teacher would appreciate books..... Question

Fox

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 1:51 pm
morahaviva wrote:
As a teacher who has 300 mugs, and more than enough soaps to clean a herd of elephants, I suggest something other than a mug or a soap set (I really didnt think I smelled that bad...) embarrassed

Morah Aviva, you made me laugh until tears ran down my face!

My 81-year-old mother is a retired college professor who was at the top of her field, guiding dozens of doctoral students, publishing articles and books . . . the whole works.

She and my father are preparing to move to smaller quarters, and I recently found a collection of apples in their basement. Glass apples; brass apples; realistic resin apples; abstract wooden apples; apples that are really bells; apples that double as staplers -- over 30 apples!

Apparently doctoral students are no more creative when it comes to gift-giving than the mothers of small children. So I'm left with all these apples! I mean, I can't just throw them away! Maybe I'll donate them for re-gifting in lieu of mugs and soap!

Smile

amother

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 2:05 pm
Thanks everybody! I guess my question is- is it not nice enough if the gift card is only for $5- $10? I'd love to do more, its just so not in the budget.

Dev80

Post Wed, Dec 10 2014, 2:08 pm
I'm totally in the same boat - I want to do gifts but with all the different morahs my range is also about $7 each. I'm learning that $7 doesn't go very far!! I was thinking to do a mug filled with chocolate or with a bit of money (like 30 shekels) but I guess that may not be the best idea. But the morahs we send to are all relatively young so maybe they don't have a collection yet?

I would say you can't go beyond your budget to give more, iyH there will be other opportunities to show hakaras hatov, so if it means a $5-$10 gift card with a nice note then I think that shows hakaras hatov and that's good enough. This is definitely about the thought.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics