Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Shayna Ruth/Ruth Shayna Sheina/Shaina/Shayna?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 7:48 am
B"H I am pregnant. I don't know if it's a girl or a boy. I have several boys and IYH this is a girl, though I'm doubting it because of my history Smile

Anyway, while I obsess for the next few months until I'm due (we don't find out) I'm trying to figure out a name.

Both of my grandmothers are niftar and one was Shayna and one was Ruth. Ruth I was much closer to and is a person that I would like my child to emulate. Shayna, had a really difficult life and personality.

However, I like the name Shayna more. I do like Ruthie, but not Ruth and I think it sounds old. We also don't really do nicknames for the long term. I also feel like Shayna is a more popular name and so would fit in better.

Also, our last name starts with an R so I think Ruthie R sounds cute.

So, do you like Ruth Shayna or Shayna Ruth and which would you put first based on what I wrote. And, how would you spell Shayna?

Thanks. Also, if you figured out who I am, just pretend you didn't. Thanks!

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 7:53 am
I would spell it Shaina. I also think that Ruth is a much more common name than Shaina.

From what you wrote, I would say to put Ruth first because of Shaina's difficult life and personality; however Shaina first is more aesthetically pleasing.

Good luck!

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 8:49 am
I like Shayna Ruth better than Ruth Shayna. (And I'd spell it that way.) And then you can decide whenever whether you're going to call her just Shayna or just Ruth, and it doesn't matter if that happens to be her second name. Some people go by middle names exclusively (ie. all the Mushkas and Mendels and Zalmans I've met in Chabad communities).

mommyla

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 9:12 am
What about Rut rather than Ruth? Does Ruti (or Russie, depending on your community) sound better to you?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 10:49 am
We spell our daughter's name: Sheina. Smile She has a second name too (not ruth though!).

I like Sheina Ruth best!

B'sha'ah tova!

sitting

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 11:51 am
I also prefer shaina ruth and would spell shaina as we do our delightful shaina.
Ruti is cute though if u wanna use the ruth

SRB

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 11:55 am
Shayna Ruth. Beautiful name

wiki

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 1:13 pm
I would go with Ruth Shayna (and call her Ruti or Ruthie). I think Shayna is a prettier name, but I would go with Ruth first if she were the more dear relative. Ruth is a little bit old-ish sounding, but it's also kind of vintage.

I would *not* call her by her middle name; in our world where so much is on official record with legal names, it's a headache.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 4:00 pm
Thanks all! Firstly, I wish you'd all have decided on a spelling for shayna for us Very Happy you all had a different way of doing it! Yes, I think sheina ruth sounds better, but ruthie + our last name is cute. I also don't go for the whole, call them by their middle name. I mean, what's the point? Just name it first.

But thanks. I'm still not sure what to do. Any other input?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 4:25 pm
Lol. I have two daughters, one named Shayna and one named Ruthie (not Ruth). I know it doesn't help you OP, but I just had to comment.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 5:11 pm
amother wrote:
Lol. I have two daughters, one named Shayna and one named Ruthie (not Ruth). I know it doesn't help you OP, but I just had to comment.

Her real name is Ruthie or you just call her Ruthie?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
Her real name is Ruthie or you just call her Ruthie?

Her Hebrew name is Rus and her legal name on the birth certificate is Ruthie. We just didn't like Ruth. We call her Ruthie too (or Ruti on occasion).

musicmom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 6:16 am
I like the spelling Shaina. I think you should name your baby on the traits of the person you are naming her for. I think you grow to like names after the kid is named!

grace413

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 6:21 am
I think Shayna Ruth flows better and I like this spelling (my DD has a name that could have had an I but we use the y).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names