Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How do you keep them busy?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 11:19 pm
My dd is 12 yrs old and b"H very smart and mature. She is a complete bookworm and finishes books quickly. Her homework doesn't take her all that long and then she is bored. What interesting, stimulating, productive activity can I get her involved in to utilize her time???

pumpernickle

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 11:24 pm
Electricity experiment board?
Science projects and experiments?
Duck tape projects?
Sewing?
Cooking/baking?
Latch hook?
Crocheting/knitting
Music

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 11:43 pm
yes, yes all good suggestions....and all things she does/did

dwg

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 11:52 pm
Puzzles

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 12:37 am
I am in the same predicament. My DD is 13 is an A+ student and very bored every evening. I cant keep up with her reading (It is hard to find appropriate books) and she doesnt really like crafts. She likes sports, but is very limited in the winter.

I am actually looking forward to her starting high school next year, especially when I heard there is supposed to be way more school work.

seeker

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 12:55 am
If she's so bright, let her solve this problem. Maybe she can take up a cause and plan some project to fundraise or assist.

eli7

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 4:22 am
When I was about that age I started to learn how to do things in the house -- cooking, baking, laundry, etc. My mom taught me how to do grocery shopping. She would give me the Sunday paper coupon segment and together we would plan a week's menu, look in the pantry for what we had/wanted to use up, make a shopping list, go through the coupons, and make a budget. Then she took me to the store and while she did errands in the stores next to it I did the shopping. Any money I saved with coupons or specials or if I came in under budget was mine to keep. This taught me great lessons that I still use. I remember being in shock over the price of laundry detergent the first time that was on the list! It was also a nice bonding experience for us and hopefully helped make less work for her, too.

SingALong

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 8:04 am
Would she go do chessed/babysitting, a couple of times a week? By a neighbor or someone the school hooks her up with. It might not be as stimulating as sports/activities but even if she just gives an hour of her time can be a huge help to someone.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 8:23 am
Does she have a parve interest that would be easy to buy about? volcano, stars etc?
Rainbow loom? I know it's a bit passé - was last summer here - but many still keep at it
Science experiments that you buy in shops? microscopes, telescopes, perfume making, or harder science

At that age any job is tricky because it's not legal under (depending on places!) 14, 16... so you need a family ok with off the books.

Eli's ideas are less fun but even more important !

MamaBear

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 9:18 am
I did a lot of volunteer work at that age. At a local hospital is one option.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 9:46 am
She can learn/develop a skill that can eventually lead to a business or side job, such as photography or graphics.

She can teach herself a new language.

Actually, at that age I started writing short stories (some I submitted and were published by Horizons Family Magazine), thank you letters, and poems for other people.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 11:39 am
thanks so much for all the awesome ideas. keep 'em coming! its tricky b/c until now she's been spending a lot of time with a friend nearby. now that friend is moving and her plan is to schmooze on the phone instead. she really is a bright and talented girl and I'd love to see her use her time more productively.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics