Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Preschool director washed girls mouth with soap!!
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 3:33 pm
I am SO upset! I work in a small start up school. The highest grade is grade 3. Yesterday when I was at work, I was in the room where I work and I heard bitter sobbing, and a little girl crying 'mommy, mommy!!". I came out of my room and I see the preschool director forcing a Nursery age girl to wash her mouth out with soap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS LIVID! SHOCKED! NAUSEATED! HORRIFIED!

The little girl was hysterical crying for her mother, and this disgusting specimen of jewish woman was doing this to her. Evidently the girl had said a bad word or something, But THAT IS NO EXCUSE!!!

I wanted to call social services or whoever would get involved but we asked a shailah and were told not to. I am so upset. I cant get that little girls voice ouit of my head. I wish I knew her name so I could contact her parents and let them know this happened.

What do you guys thing of this story? Any opinons on what I should do/should have done?

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 3:39 pm
Theres nothing controversial about this topic, its downright wrong!!!

Can't you still find out who this girl is? You said it's a small school, so it shouldnt be too hard, im sure her parents would want to know about this-I know I would! Can't you also let the principal know? This conduct should be totally unacceptable. this whole story makes me terrified to send my kids to school!!!

HindaRochel

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 3:39 pm
Let her know that soap is a poison and it cost at least one child their life.
I would not send my child back to that school.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 3:42 pm
OP here. I agree that it isnt controversial. I had no idea where to put it.

It made me so upset. THe problem is that I had a run in with this woman in the winter, and we are already on bad terms. The principal knew this happened. I went into the office and asked if it was the schools policy to do this. The secretary/prinicipals daughter told me that htis girl had a dirty mouth etc and that she said lots of bad things..

I truly dislike this assistant principal as it is. This just proved to me that she is a bad person.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 3:48 pm
Was the soap kosher??

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 3:49 pm
It's not the first time I hear about it, even nowadays.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 4:15 pm
Quote:
I wanted to call social services or whoever would get involved but we asked a shailah and were told not to.

If you are a mandated reporter, which you are, being a teacher, do everyone a big favor and don't ask any more shailos next time.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 4:20 pm
Quote:
What do you guys thing of this story? Any opinons on what I should do/should have done?

There are many mandated reporters here on this site. If you post the name of the school, the state and the child's name, one of us will call.

healthymama

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 4:21 pm
I would not return to teach there. I would also find out the child's name and call the parent. How can you not know her name? Ask the secretary/principal's daughter.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
I wanted to call social services or whoever would get involved but we asked a shailah and were told not to.

If you are a mandated reporter, which you are, being a teacher, do everyone a big favor and don't ask any more shailos next time.

Question Question Question

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:39 pm
Hand soap is not poisonous or in anyway dangerous to the child. A drop of kosher soap will not cause physical harm. Corporal punishment of children is frowned upon today but washing a child's mouth out with soap was a very common disciplinary measure when I was growing up. If this child's behavior was causing a problem, the parents could have been asked to take her home. A preschool child is too young to be expected to understand such a punishment but I recently saw a principal tell a mouthy 6yr old to wash his mouth out and he calmly went and did it.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:56 pm
The childs parents must get told that the child is telling the truth imho. Get a new job.

JMto2

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:59 pm
even if you had a run in with the mother in the winter I still believe she would appreciate you telling her all this. I would also not go back to work in that school and tell the princepal that you do not feel they have the right chinuch or something on that term if she asks why you are leaving .

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:
The childs parents must get told that the child is telling the truth imho. Get a new job.

I agree with this poster

justanothermother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:18 pm
I have washed my DDs mouth with soap once. Just a drop of soap on a toothbrush and I wiped on her tongue with it. (I tried it on myself first - it wasn't too bad.) When done in a loving manner it is not detrimantal to the child. However, a school does not have the authority to mete out such a punishment, nor the relationship with the child to make it effective.

I would contact the parents of this child, they need to know what happened. It can affect the child's attitude towards school and the parents need to address it.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:18 pm
Hi, its the OP again. Let me try to address a few of the issues brought up here. FIrst off, I am not a teacher. I dont know if I am a mandated reporter. I am a speech language pathologist, and I do not work for that school. My issue in the winter time was with this actual preschool director, NOT the child's mother. I dont knwo who the kid is because I dont work with anyone in her class.

I called my agency and told them the story, they were horrified as well and are discussing what should be done.

I think I will go back on monday ( I was contemplating not going back ) and I will quietly try to find out who this girl was. However, I know this woman saw me look at her (and glare at her actually) and she will find out I am looking into it. She is a nasty woman. I dread having a run in with her again... but if it would protect other children, I am more than willing.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:38 pm
Quote:
I dont know if I am a mandated reporter. I am a speech language pathologist

I am pretty sure you are. If your agency is aware of this, your supervisor should be able to call him or herself.

To find out who the child is, simply call out another child from that class. Make up some excuse, like screening or comparative purposes or something like that and ask that child who gets her mouth washed out with soap. Do you have a therapist at your school, by the way?

healthymama

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:40 pm
Quote:
However, I know this woman saw me look at her (and glare at her actually) and she will find out I am looking into it. She is a nasty woman. I dread having a run in with her again... but if it would protect other children, I am more than willing

Doing the right thing is not always easy. Good luck.

rainbow baby

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:54 pm
This is so sickening, I can tell you that here in the UK it is totally illegal to touch a child, never mind forcing soapy water down a childs throat. Here the police would be called in and the woman would be banded from teaching children. This is child abuse!!!!! I just hope that the parents know about this because if it was my child I would take him out of the school and call the poice who cares if it is a Jewish school. Sometimes I think that these schools and teachers think they can get away with anything because they are Jewish and no one is allowed to snitch on Jewish organisations. It's so sickening.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 6:59 pm
did you stop the teacher???? and I would have immediately comforted the girl and asked her name and # and called her mother and whoever else could get involved ... the principal to back this up ... I don't care how dirty a mouth any kid has ... nor how sweetly you wash their mouth out or smack em for that matter ... pain is pain - emotional and physical ... this school has real issues ... especially this teacher ...

if you truly care ... you would definately go and find out and even call the pricipal tonight ... tell her how upset you are ... sneak out the name of the girl while you are at it ... and GO get HELP!!!
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics