Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Rice and Lentils recipe ASAP

supermom

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 4:28 am
I am cooking tommorrow for my kids school and the menu is rice and lentils. I have never cooked lentils before. How do you make it taste good? It can't be dry since it has to be as a sauce for the rice. Please I need recipes quickly.

HooRYou

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 5:14 am
Lentils are pretty yummy in tomato sauce. Put lenitls in a bowl and cover with boiling water Sautee onions and garlic and then add the checked lentils with water to cover. Add salt, pepper and simmer until soft. Add tomato paste or sauce and season to taste (I use herbs like basil, but I don't know how that goes over with children who aren't used to having green things floating in their food). If it is too water let it simer until thick, if it is too thick add water until it is the right consistency.

Good Luck!

supermom

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 5:24 am
Thanks. If tomato sauce is out of the question what other sauce can I make with it?

supermom

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 5:25 am
I forgot to add the ages range from 1 1/2-6.

HooRYou

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 5:30 am
If tomato soup is out of the question cook them in your favorite tastiest vegetable soup but cook it down so that it is more like sauce than soup, which souldn't be too hard since the lentils will absorb a lot of water.

What do you usually make for the school?

marroon

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 7:19 am
Here's a recipe that isn't a sauce but a dish, and is great:

Sautee onion and garlic in pot, add rice and lentils, water and seasoning (salt, pepper, season salt, etc), and let boil till everything's cooked. Then mix in cheese.

Serve hot.

Yum.

supermom

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 7:40 am
I started to cook only becuase the catering that they were getting from wasn't a big hit for the kids. Today was my first day.

marroon That sounds delish. But these kids don't eat anything that is mixed together. Confused These kids are harder than I thought. They have to have everything seperate. I am thinking about the veg. soup but what do I do with all those veg.? Maybe I will serve them to whom?

Mishie

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 8:24 am
Use the veggies as another side-dish!
The kids will be so happy that they have such a variety!!!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jun 03 2007, 11:10 am
the syrians make a really yummy rice and lentils recipe....maybe someone posted it here?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals