Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Kids erased all my pictures on my phone

tziviakayla

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 8:40 pm
My 4 and 5 year olds managed to get ahold of my cell phone and erase the SD card. 3500 pictures gone! I'm so sad. Some I have copies elsewhere, but some are just lost. Sad

Is there any way to recover the pictures or are they gone for good?

imokay

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:52 pm
Pop out the card immediately (so nothing else gets saved and overwrites the images) and put it in your computer and run an undelete utility. You should be able to recover most of the pics. Alternatively you can bring it to a tech store and they might be able to do the same thing for you (and charge you for it)

tziviakayla

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 9:56 pm
imokay wrote:
Pop out the card immediately (so nothing else gets saved and overwrites the images) and put it in your computer and run an undelete utility. You should be able to recover most of the pics. Alternatively you can bring it to a tech store and they might be able to do the same thing for you (and charge you for it)

OP here: I saw that there were some pictures saved to the internal memory after the kids erased the SD card. Do you think that messed up the SD card. ( I imagine they erased the card, then managed to switch the photos to be saved to the phone instead. Not quite sure how they managed to do that.)

Also, I sent some text messages to dh after I noticed, in a panic of what to do. Would that overwrite the SD card?

I turned off my phone. Is that protecting the SD card for now, until dh comes home to help?

imokay

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:01 pm
I would be very surprised if they managed to change the settings. Firstly, make sure that the sd card is inserted all the way in, correctly. It could be that it's loose/popped out and that's why it cant be read.
Or you can take the card out and put it in your computer /laptop and better ascertain its contents.
Sending texts didn't overwrite anything, don't worry

imokay

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:03 pm
Also, as an added layer of protection, you can have all your pics automatically uploaded to dropbox. This way if your pictures are ever truly erased or phone is lost, etc, you will still have your pictures and videos.

tziviakayla

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:22 pm
imokay wrote:
I would be very surprised if they managed to change the settings. Firstly, make sure that the sd card is inserted all the way in, correctly. It could be that it's loose/popped out and that's why it cant be read.
Or you can take the card out and put it in your computer /laptop and better ascertain its contents.
Sending texts didn't overwrite anything, don't worry

OP here: Thanks for your help! In the "Available Storage" it says 14.6 GB, the exact amount of storage the card holds. Does that mean everything is gone? It didn't seem loose when I checked it, but I can't get it out, so waiting for dh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics