Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
A frying pan, a pot, and an electric burner...

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 2:01 pm
I am a young mom, with three kids under three. looks like we're gonna be homme for last days as of now, cuz got no invites. Today we had a bbq for lunch, but most of the time we are hungry cuz I didn't really cook....
help me with ideas for fun, easy foods kids like that I can make with the few utensils and electric burner I have. can I make yom tov food as well? any sweets I can makebin a pan or pot? I dont have an oven....

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 2:50 pm
What denomination are the pot and frying pan? What Pesach chumros do you have?

Applesauce: Peel, core and slice or chop a large apple or two or three. Cook in the pot with a little water until soft. Mash with a big spoon or fork till broken up or push thru a strainer if you have one. Add sugar and cinnamon if you like.

Apple treat: Core an apple or three and cut into thin rounds or slices. Fry in the frying pan with a little oil. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and serve.

Matza Brei: Break up a whole matzah into small pieces. Soak the matzah in water first if you like, makes it easier to break up. Mix with a beaten egg to which you have added a bit of sugar and cinnamon if you like. Fry in oil in the frying pan, either as one big layer covering the whole pan or in smaller pancake-like blobs. Flip over to brown the other side, serve hot and enjoy as a main dish or as a dessert drizzled with honey or jam or sprinkled with sugar.

Italian-style Matza: Spread tomato paste on matza. Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, oregano or basil if you use them. Add sliced olives, mushrooms, chopped bell pepper and onion if you like. Sprinkle shredded hard cheese or just place a slice of hard cheese on top. Heat in the frying pan till cheese melts.

Mediterranean chicken: Saute some chopped pepper, onion, garlic and carrots in the pot in a small volume of oil till soft. remove to a separate dish. Put in the pot some tomato sauce, 8 chicken pieces, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper , 4 whole cloves and/or a 1-2 inch piece of fresh ginger root. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer till chicken is very, very soft. Return veggies to pot till heated through and serve. If sauce is too watery for your taste, remove chicken, let sauce bil off till reduced in volume and thickened, then return chicken to pot and add veggies.

Vampire-repellent mashed potatoes: Saute chopped onion in the frying pan. Add a few to a lot of minced garlic cloves and saute briefly; set aside. Scrub a few white potatoes, boil in water in the pot till soft. Drain off water. Peel potatoes, cut into small pieces and mash with a fork. Add sauteed onion with garlic, ground black pepper, some salt to taste. For a milchik dish, reheat mashed potatoes, sprinkle shredded hard cheese or cheese slices on top till melted.

My personal chef (aka dc who is on kitchen duty today) is calling me to the table so GTG but let me know if you need more.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 2:55 pm
zaq wrote:

Applesauce: Peel, core and slice or chop a large apple or two or three. Cook in the pot with a little water until soft. Mash with a big spoon or fork till broken up or push thru a strainer if you have one. Add sugar and cinnamon if you like.

Apple treat: Core an apple or three and cut into thin rounds or slices. Fry in the frying pan with a little oil. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and serve.

Matza Brei: Break up a whole matzah into small pieces. Soak the matzah in water first if you like, makes it easier to break up. Mix with a beaten egg to which you have added a bit of sugar and cinnamon if you like. Fry in oil in the frying pan, either as one big layer covering the whole pan or in smaller pancake-like blobs. Flip over to brown the other side, serve hot and enjoy as a main dish or as a dessert drizzled with honey or jam or sprinkled with sugar.

Italian-style Matza: Spread tomato paste on matza. Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, oregano or basil if you use them. Add sliced olives, mushrooms, chopped bell pepper and onion if you like. Sprinkle shredded hard cheese or just place a slice of hard cheese on top. Heat in the frying pan till cheese melts.

Mediterranean chicken: Saute some chopped pepper, onion, garlic and carrots in the pot in a small volume of oil till soft. remove to a separate dish. Put in the pot some tomato sauce, 8 chicken pieces, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper , 4 whole cloves and/or a 1-2 inch piece of fresh ginger root. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer till chicken is very, very soft. Return veggies to pot till heated through and serve. If sauce is too watery for your taste, remove chicken, let sauce bil off till reduced in volume and thickened, then return chicken to pot and add veggies.

Vampire-repellent mashed potatoes: Saute chopped onion in the frying pan. Add a few to a lot of minced garlic cloves and saute briefly; set aside. Scrub a few white potatoes, boil in water in the pot till soft. Drain off water. Peel potatoes, cut into small pieces and mash with a fork. Add sauteed onion with garlic, ground black pepper, some salt to taste. For a milchik dish, reheat mashed potatoes, sprinkle shredded hard cheese or cheese slices on top till melted.

My personal chef (aka dc who is on kitchen duty today) is calling me to the table so GTG but let me know if you need more.

wow! these are all great ideas, wat I needed to get me going. with the matza pizza, I always end up burning the bottom before the cheese melts... wat to do differently?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 3:00 pm
I don't have many chumros, but nether do I have utensils. and right now have only very basic ingredients at home, so these are all great, would appreciae some more ideas with basic ingredients.
can I ''bake'' anything on a stovetop?
thanks so much!!!!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 3:00 pm
amother wrote:
I am a young mom, with three kids under three. looks like we're gonna be homme for last days as of now, cuz got no invites. Today we had a bbq for lunch, but most of the time we are hungry cuz I didn't really cook....
help me with ideas for fun, easy foods kids like that I can make with the few utensils and electric burner I have. can I make yom tov food as well? any sweets I can makebin a pan or pot? I dont have an oven....

How about burgers in the frying pan, fried French fries in the pot, and fresh salad.

Do you use butter, confectioners sugar and nut butter? You can make 'reese's' nut butter dream balls. You can also drizzle melted chocolate on top.

One pot chicken, potatoes, sweet potatoes, homemade duck sauce.

Mushroom stuffed omelettes, home fried potatoes or sweet potato hash.

Mock chopped liver over fried eggplant slices, Israeli salad.

One pan salmon with summer squash and tomatoes.

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:
wow! these are all great ideas, wat I needed to get me going. with the matza pizza, I always end up burning the bottom before the cheese melts... wat to do differently?

Moisten bottom of matza with a little water--just a bit, not enough to fall apart, lower heat, and cover frying pan with foil so heat stays inside to melt cheese.

debsey

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 3:47 pm
zaq wrote:

All awesome ideas, but the NAME you are calling this is great. This is tonight's side dish, and DS who is "into" that kind of stuff will gobble that down! Adorable. Thanks, zaq

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 4:17 pm
Home fries: scrub potatoes, boil briefly in pot, not enough to cook through and through. Peel, cut into long sticks or slices, fry in pan in small amount of oil till crisp.

I will look for a couple of more recipes. I have never baked anything stovetop without a wonder pot. You could try to improvise a substitute wonder pot this way:

1. Either buy a few round foil pans or improvise pans by stacking several layers of foil, preferably heavy-duty, and shaping into a pan shape by bending the sides up and scrunching the corners to hold the shape.
2, make a domed lid for your pot ( or frying pan if it's a deep one) out of a round foil pan, bought or improvised as above.
3.. using a pencil or something similar, punch small holes in the side of this lid every 1-1/2 to 2 inches all around. These are the steam vents to let the water vapor escape so that you bake rather than steam your dish.
4. invert a bought foil pan and place in the bottom of the pot to elevate your cake pan above the bottom so that it will be baked with hot air inside the pot and not grilled by the heat from the bottom of the pot. If you are improvising pans, use a thick layer of crumpled-up foil instead, as the improvised pans will not be strong enough to hold up another pan.
5. carefully place your filled "baking pan" on top of the inverted pan or foil "cushion" foil in the bottom of the pot that you have placed on the burner, cover the pot with your perforated lid, and turn on the burner. When in doubt, lower heat is better than too high.
6. Test your cake for doneness by sticking a toothpick or knife into the center. If the tester comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, let the cake bake for a while longer.

I will look for small recipes in a bit--I have a good one for brownies I think--but right now my personal trainer is forcing me to go for a power walk to work off the lunch that my personal chef made. Let me know if you have cocoa and potato starch and/or cake meal for the brownies.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 4:19 pm
Besides for the nut butter balls, you can also make no bake cheesecake balls with whipped cream cheese, confectioners sugar, vanilla and chocolate chips or nut pieces or chocolate shavings.

You can do apple fritters. Poached pears. Apple compote. Frozen granita or ice pops. Mousse. Chocolate pudding. Lemon curd.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 4:40 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Besides for the nut butter balls, you can also make no bake cheesecake balls with whipped cream cheese, confectioners sugar, vanilla and chocolate chips or nut pieces or chocolate shavings.

You can do apple fritters. Poached pears. Apple compote. Frozen granita or ice pops. Mousse. Chocolate pudding. Lemon curd.

these sound yum! recipe for cheeseballs?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 4:42 pm
zaq wrote:
Home fries: scrub potatoes, boil briefly in pot, not enough to cook through and through. Peel, cut into long sticks or slices, fry in pan in small amount of oil till crisp.

I will look for a couple of more recipes. I have never baked anything stovetop without a wonder pot. You could try to improvise a substitute wonder pot this way:

1. Either buy a few round foil pans or improvise pans by stacking several layers of foil, preferably heavy-duty, and shaping into a pan shape by bending the sides up and scrunching the corners to hold the shape.
2, make a domed lid for your pot ( or frying pan if it's a deep one) out of a round foil pan, bought or improvised as above.
3.. using a pencil or something similar, punch small holes in the side of this lid every 1-1/2 to 2 inches all around. These are the steam vents to let the water vapor escape so that you bake rather than steam your dish.
4. invert a bought foil pan and place in the bottom of the pot to elevate your cake pan above the bottom so that it will be baked with hot air inside the pot and not grilled by the heat from the bottom of the pot. If you are improvising pans, use a thick layer of crumpled-up foil instead, as the improvised pans will not be strong enough to hold up another pan.
5. carefully place your filled "baking pan" on top of the inverted pan or foil "cushion" foil in the bottom of the pot that you have placed on the burner, cover the pot with your perforated lid, and turn on the burner. When in doubt, lower heat is better than too high.
6. Test your cake for doneness by sticking a toothpick or knife into the center. If the tester comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, let the cake bake for a while longer.

I will look for small recipes in a bit--I have a good one for brownies I think--but right now my personal trainer is forcing me to go for a power walk to work off the lunch that my personal chef made. Let me know if you have cocoa and potato starch and/or cake meal for the brownies.

wow thanks for taking the time to help me! I have matza meal, cocoa, can get potato starch. dont have a mixer to whip anything..

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 4:50 pm
Do you have a crockpot? Its worth investing in if you don't. You can make almost anything in it that you would make in an oven.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:
these sound yum! recipe for cheeseballs?

8 oz whipped cream cheese, brought to room temp
3/4 cup confectioners sugar (approx)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 tbsp vanilla sugar, if you have
1/4 cup choc chips or nuts or choc shavings

Mix cheese and sugar with vanilla. Add more confectioners sugar if it needs it. Add chips. Roll into balls. Can roll in cookie crumbs.
Chill in freezer.

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 5:26 pm
Brownies: no idea where recipe comes from so if it's plagiarized from a book I apologize to the author:

3/4 c. oil
4 eggs
1-1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. potato starch
1/2 c. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla extract (not essential if you don't have it)

Mix very well. Batter is very thick so it will take some effort by hand. This comes out somewhat oily esp. if you use olive oil. If you like it less oily use 1/2 c. oil. Put your burner on medium. Use a 6 inch by 9 inch pan or equivalent. (the size pan you get in the pesachdik cake mix packages). Takes about an hour and a quarter in oven. Comes out a bit crumbly but quite rich.

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 5:35 pm
Sweet&Sour Beef Stew:
Put one pound of beef cubes in the pot with a bay leaf if you have and a little water to cover the bottom of the pot by an inch or so. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer about an hour. Add 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks. simmer 5-10 minutes, then add one chopped onion (raw or sauteed as you prefer) 2 big potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks, 8 oz. tomato sauce, 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. sugar. Simmer till meat pierces easily with a fork. Add more water as needed if it looks too dry. The sauce or gravy should be thick but not vanish completely. You can fancy it up by throwing in some chopped red bell pepper towards the end of the cooking for a dash of bright color.

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 5:39 pm
http://www.wikihow.com/Bake-a-.....vetop
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics