Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Danger - Parking lots are not play areas, a child can die!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 11:18 am
In my neighborhood of Ramat Beit Shemesh
Many of the mothers choose to turn the parking lot into a playground in the afternoon hours.

The problem is the parking is not closed off. It is true that most of these families do not have cars but some do and definately cars from workmen or deliveries etc come in and our regularly.

The parking lot is long and even though usually at least 1 or 2 mothers sit near the entrance to the building, even when they are not so busy talking it is hard for them to have any control.

The kids walk rampantly all over, I have seen cars olost hit kids who walk haphazardly, I have occasonally even seen mothers and fathers direct kids to walk in front (or even worse behind) the cars as if tha is the proper way to share a road!? and all the more so for a kid.

I am reffering to building 13/15 for those of you who know but to be honest the same thing occurs to a lesser degree in many other parking lots even in this specific area.

This is a frum Charedi area, where is the sachel, are we waiting for a tradgedy!? WAKE UP

If you have a better suggestion of a place to post ths where more will see I would appreciate it. this is mamish hatzalas nafashos

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 11:44 am
our building allows the kids to play in the garage just on shabbos ........

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 11:50 am
amother wrote:
In my neighborhood of Ramat Beit Shemesh
Many of the mothers choose to turn the parking lot into a playground in the afternoon hours.

The problem is the parking is not closed off. It is true that most of these families do not have cars but some do and definately cars from workmen or deliveries etc come in and our regularly.

The parking lot is long and even though usually at least 1 or 2 mothers sit near the entrance to the building, even when they are not so busy talking it is hard for them to have any control.

The kids walk rampantly all over, I have seen cars olost hit kids who walk haphazardly, I have occasonally even seen mothers and fathers direct kids to walk in front (or even worse behind) the cars as if tha is the proper way to share a road!? and all the more so for a kid.

I am reffering to building 13/15 for those of you who know but to be honest the same thing occurs to a lesser degree in many other parking lots even in this specific area.

This is a frum Charedi area, where is the sachel, are we waiting for a tradgedy!? WAKE UP

If you have a better suggestion of a place to post ths where more will see I would appreciate it. this is mamish hatzalas nafashos

amonther, I also live in ramat beit shemesh and I have to agree with you. we have a car and I am always nervous when I back up or exit the parking lot b/c they are not made well. I also dont get it. why dont these monters/fathers, whoever is minding the children, take them to the park or to a grassy area? that woujld solve sooooooo many things.

Marion

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 1:09 pm
We also have a parking lot (although no cars). The entrance is "closed" by an electric arm; only the residents have remotes ("shalatim") for it. All the kids in the buildings play and ride their bikes in the parking lot...and all the drivers know to keep an eye out...and all the parents know when to move their kids...and the kids, as they get to a certain age, all know when to get out of the way.

Ima'la

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 1:24 pm
This phenomenon is by no means unique to RBS.......

TorahMom48

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 10:44 am
shabbat, drive extra safely, I don't understand these mothers and fathers who play with the lives of their kids!!?? This specific building I am reffering to is almost all Anglos. so we can't even blame it on Israelis. Really don't they care? or as they just all lacking intellgence? And the mothers and fathers who show their kids to walk right behind my car as I am backing up...I feel as if they are thinking, "It's the drivers responsibility" but meanwhile I am thinking, and I can't help myself from thinking "you ----- even if it my responsibility you don't davka put your kid in danger! - forget about the chinuch aspect!

btw I don't actually live in RBS but I am often there making deliveries

TorahMom48

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 10:47 am
Marion, I have no problem if thee is a gate - that would not be a problem, I'm talkin about places where cars come in and out (maybe not so often but they come) and the kids are right there running around - toddlers even! while the mothers sit near the entrance to the building and shmooze.

and Imala, I am not at all surprised that it is not unique to RBS I do see it elsewhere, but at least I myself have not seen a case more extreme than this particular area.

What can be done to stop this?

TorahMom48

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 10:49 am
I noticed how few people even seem to care about this, a "controversial topic" garners numerous responces, but a topic like this and nobody cares?

or maybe I should be posting this somewhere else? any suggestions.

I am frustrated and I don't want to hear about any kids being killed

justanothermother

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 11:13 am
TorahMom48 wrote:
I noticed how few people even seem to care about this, a "controversial topic" garners numerous responces, but a topic like this and nobody cares?

or maybe I should be posting this somewhere else? any suggestions.

I am frustrated and I don't want to hear about any kids being killed

It sounds like a dangerous practice but since I have never seen it, I don't feel qualified to comment or advise.

Have you tried talking about your concers with the mothers who sit out front?

TorahMom48

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 11:29 am
Once I did and it did not go so well, even without that experience I am shy and scared to broach it maybe someone else in RBS can...and even more so maybe we all should start taking action wherever we see this whether in RBS or Brooklyn or anywhere...

I was hopng one of those parents who do do things like this would come on and say something...

creativemommyto3

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 1:45 pm
Where in RBS is this? I also live in RBS. This is horrifying! I am very careful that my kids go nowhere near cars. They know that they are dangerous!

Ima'la

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 12:50 am
TorahMom48 wrote:

Maybe people just don't have anything to say - how could anyone disagree? But I don't know what the solution is!

TorahMom48

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 9:55 am
Ima'le so they have nothing to say cause they know they shoulden't be doing it - but do it anyway.

Arita I will tell you the street name soon as I recall, or return there, but as has been said here it's a widespread phenomonon

TorahMom48

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 11:17 am
I think it is Revivim, (or one of the streets connected to that) buildings 13 and 15 share a parking lot. maybe someone from there will see this.

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 11:18 am
This is terrible.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 11:34 am
I have a friend who lives in a gated complex (Mainly non Jewish upper middle class families) When I drive in there I see kids riding around on their bikes and playing alone. There are signs saying Kids playing drive carefully, but it still makes me nervous. Thre is a big grassy area in the middle with fountains and paths where no cars can go, which I would be fine with, as long as the kid was old enough, but they still need to cross the road to get back to their houses.

Maybe the complex should gate off a small area for kids to play. It's a shame kids have nowhere to play anymore because cars have taken over. Even some traffic cones or barriers so cars will not drive into that area. If the owners do not drive why should they not be able to utilse that space for playing?

Ima'la

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 11:48 am
TorahMom48 wrote:
Ima'le so they have nothing to say cause they know they shoulden't be doing it - but do it anyway.

I guess I meant that people have nothing to say b/c they agree with you...but yeah, what you wrote is also a possibility!

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:50 pm
TorahMom48 wrote:
I think it is Revivim, (or one of the streets connected to that) buildings 13 and 15 share a parking lot. maybe someone from there will see this.

OMG, my son goes to a gan on revivim 17!!!!!!!! The last day is friday, but .......... the idea that my son , or any other child for that matter can get hurt by careless ppl makes me sooooooooo mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exploding anger Exploding anger Exploding anger Hey and my other son is in Avi Ezri not far from there!!!! What in the world are these ppl thinking???? Hashem Yishmor!!!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 8:36 am
TorahMom48 wrote:

I have a relative who lives on the top or last house on revivim. I know which parking lot you are talking about now. its the one where they are doing the construction near it, right?

I have to unfortunatley agree with you. kids there are not very careful and many many times there are no mothers there sitting watching their kids, the kids play by themselves and the mothers/fathers, whoever are upstairs.

TorahMom48

Post Wed, Jun 27 2007, 11:53 am
Raison, even in your case people both drivers and kids must be cautious, kids must be taught to be cautious.

But here I am talking not about older kids on bicycles, its a free for all, I am very serious when I say kids as young as 3 are running around this parking lot. Also we are talking not about a big complex but a small parking lot. There is no way to share "the road" here.

I would agree with you about closing off a section of the parking lot, not even cones - bars! But the parents do not seem to care. Frum Parents. Sad.

Raisin wrote:
I have a friend who lives in a gated complex (Mainly non Jewish upper middle class families) When I drive in there I see kids riding around on their bikes and playing alone. There are signs saying Kids playing drive carefully, but it still makes me nervous. Thre is a big grassy area in the middle with fountains and paths where no cars can go, which I would be fine with, as long as the kid was old enough, but they still need to cross the road to get back to their houses.

Maybe the complex should gate off a small area for kids to play. It's a shame kids have nowhere to play anymore because cars have taken over. Even some traffic cones or barriers so cars will not drive into that area. If the owners do not drive why should they not be able to utilse that space for playing?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics