Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Gefilte fish from scratch
1  2  Next

AGINY

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 12:07 pm
I am feeling a little adventurous and want to make gefilte fish from scratch. I just got a new 6 qt cuisinart and the grinder attachment. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe with amounts and method?

Thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 4:51 pm
I've made it and it';s delicious but a LOT of work and expensive. I used half white fish and half pike.

do you want to add carrot, onion, the whole thing?

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 5:22 pm
don't forget salt and pepper and lots of eggs ... as well ... no need for a filler like matzo meal - it ruins it ...

AGINY

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 5:51 pm
thanks for your replies. I want to do the whole nine yards. Do you have amounts of fish, eggs. carrots, onions etc?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 8:46 pm
do you have a jewish cookbook? I make mine by feel, but you prob. want to read over some recipes, for the carrots, matza meal, onions, salt & sugar etc.

Akeres Habayis

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 4:39 am
greenfire what is the recipe,I tried the one in spice and spirit.the gefilte fish didnt come out right at all!!!
here in israel its much cheaper to make my own than to buy it.so post it please!!
also in the pot for the fish broth how much liquid should be in it.I need it explained from grind the fish to shape it(I like loaves).can I bake instead of boiling it??
u get the drift

bashinda

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 9:32 pm
I've always been tempted to do that for Pesach but I'm too scared. I really suffer from culinary shyness!

Akeres Habayis

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 3:20 am
I've made it before,and it came out fine.I think the breadcrumbs may be the problem and the amount of water,and how long I have cooked it for.
pesach it came out fine,but I dont remember

HooRYou

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 4:02 am
AGINY, I hope this recipe will be worth the wait. I think it is what you are looking for. I have another recipe that makes the kind of gefilte fish that you shape into balls and cook in broth, but that is made from carp, which here is much more expensive.

Take 2 carrots and 2 onions and shread, put veggies in a bowl. Add 1 Kilo ground bakala (you can buy pre-ground or grind your own), 3/4 TBL of salt, 2 TBL sugar, 1 cup water, 1 cup oil, 2-3 eggs (Start with 2 and see if it needs more at the end), 10 TBL matzoh meal and mix all ingredients really well until combined. Grease foil or baking paper to line your baking pans. Pour fish into pans and bake.

The recipe says to bake for 1 hour, but it could be that if you make smaller pans it will take less time, I generally tend to rely on checking when baking anyway.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 7:33 am
I've made fresh gefilte fish, but it was too fishy, nobody liked it. How do you make it that it's not so fishy? What is bakalah?

Akeres Habayis

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 5:30 pm
THANKS!!!
Bakala is like carp but cheaper,and its in israel.I think its a hebrew word

MahPitom

Post Wed, Mar 12 2008, 6:19 pm
I used to make it and everyone loved it. It’s easy, actually. The secret for fluffy fish is water, lots of it. On pesach it’s tricky because you can’t use a filler, so we add some mashed potato to it. Some marror for spice… we don’t use pepper.

It’s pretty much similar to making chicken patties, except you use a few tablespoons of RAW onion, not sautéed. Also, if you can stand it, taste and spit.

Bashinda, go for it! order from your fish store 2 lbs, and try it out in a small quantity, it will yield 2 rolls. Freeze, then cook. You can’t go wrong by trying!

Akeres Habayis

Post Fri, Mar 14 2008, 6:02 am
hooryou, the gefilte fish came out FANTASTIC,I just finished baking it and sampling it!!!
I came out w/2long loaf pan and a small one.
THANK YOU!!!!
u have saved me so much money 1roll in israel is about 30something shekels to pay 30shekels for a kilo of bakala and make enough rolls for the next 3shabbosim is a bracha!!!
thanks again!!!

HooRYou

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 7:07 am
Cheers Akeres habayis!! I am really glad it worked out for you. Its a great recipe. DH usually doesn't like GF loaves, but loves this one!

AGINY

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 7:46 am
what is the equivalent of bakalah in America?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 8:06 am
HooRYou wrote:
AGINY, I hope this recipe will be worth the wait. I think it is what you are looking for. I have another recipe that makes the kind of gefilte fish that you shape into balls and cook in broth, but that is made from carp, which here is much more expensive.

Take 2 carrots and 2 onions and shread, put veggies in a bowl. Add 1 Kilo ground bakala (you can buy pre-ground or grind your own), 3/4 TBL of salt, 2 TBL sugar, 1 cup water, 1 cup oil, 2-3 eggs (Start with 2 and see if it needs more at the end), 10 TBL matzoh meal and mix all ingredients really well until combined. Grease foil or baking paper to line your baking pans. Pour fish into pans and bake.

The recipe says to bake for 1 hour, but it could be that if you make smaller pans it will take less time, I generally tend to rely on checking when baking anyway.

Do you use frozen, thawed bakala or do you have the fish guy make it for you?

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Mar 16 2008, 3:03 pm
I bought the frozen pieces and he ground it up for me.when I got home I put it in a strainer to get the excess water out.

HooRYou

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 5:54 am
Tamiri, when I make it usually use frozen pre-ground fish.

suomynona

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 6:34 am
HooRYou,
where can I buy frozen ground bakala and how much does 1 kilo cost?

can you freeze the loaves after they're baked?

do you think it would work to cook in water like the frozen bought loaves?
I guess I wouldn't be able to freeze though, if I buy the frozen fish because I would be freezing it raw twice.

HooRYou

Post Mon, Mar 17 2008, 6:41 am
I buy the frozen ground at any of our local fish/meat stores. I think once I bought the whole fillets and pureed them, but I usually buy the pre ground.

I have never boiled them as loves since when I make boiled gefilte fish I use carp. Also a great recipe but much mroe expensive. After they are fully cooked I do freeze the fish. It is not the same as defrosting and refreezing, it is freezing a fully-cooked food.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics