Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to wear to bar mitzvah in Lakewood?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 11:27 am
please advise!!!

my dressy clothing is ridiculously outdated/outgrown etc.

some points: I look horrid in mid-length a-line skirts that are so popular today, and do not wear heavily beaded/sequined stuff, raglan or bat sleeves and tunics, so that limits my choices in frum stores (in addition to $$$ factor).

can't see myself in a floral top that eeeeeverybody wears these days either... or anything else that *everybody* wears for that matter.

what could be elegant, classic style and where can I find it in brick and mortar stores (no time to have it shipped).

I have a nice dressy long chiffon skirt, so prob just looking for a top

any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks tonz

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 12:30 pm
It would be helpful if you told us if you are the mother, grandmother, aunt, or cousin of the bar mitzvah bochur, or a friend of the mother.

Because for family I would think you would dress up a bit more. For friends I think regular Shabbos outfit is fine.

But also depends on your age group, perhaps, as some of the current styles are more suitable to those in their 20's, maybe 30's.

I know my daughter does not think I should be wearing grey tights as I am over 40. I say, too bad on you.... but a royal blue skirt? I'm thinking about it, but I'm not sure. (Should we have a spin-off of styles and ages?)

kollel wife

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 2:17 pm
I'm assuming you live in Lakewood ...

I think in Fashion Stop you can find things that'll go for younger and older people. Some of the newer styles, like maybe a lace top, but things you'll feel comfortable with. I would add Brooklyn South West too - they have a lot of things - many very youthful, but not all, and some much more inexpensive too

You obviously will have to spend money, but you can use the top for simchas afterwards even with a plain straight black skirt.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 2:45 pm
Op here

Yes I do live in lakewood.

Sorry I totally forgot to mention that I'm not the bubby of the bar mitzvah boy lol. More like a distant family, in my 30s.

It's just that I so seldom go to simchos/events that have no clue what to wear and when I do go - end up totally "underdressed", be it a vort or school dinner. And the dressier stuff that I have is from ages ago and completely out of style.

I have been to fashion stop and bklyn sw and just can't figure it out. Some styles are very "bubby-ish", others more like middle age black full of beading stuff, and then some trendy bright floral with split back type stuff (do you know what I am referring to?). I am so lost...or is it picky? I guess I am picky but lost nonetheless.

I'm afraid I'll get smth dressy and will be overdressed - it's daylight summer bar mitzvah after all, not a late night chasunah. Or will get a nice top that's actually what ppl wear for weekdays.

Can I even wear a long chiffon skirt at all?

No friends or family to consult with Sad

Thank you imamothers!

sky

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 3:04 pm
You can call Brooklyn Southwest and setup an appointment and they will have some one help you with shopping. (hopefully they still offer this servic). I've never done it, But a friend of mine said they were totally within her budget, picked nice stuff and even matched accessories.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics