Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Help! I fast terribly when nursing!!! What do I do??

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 4:05 pm
Last time I fasted while exclusively nursing (newborn) I felt very weak, faint, sometimes dizzy. I gave my baby two bottles of pumped milk or something like that. I am very worried about Yom Kippur (different baby). Is there anything I can to to prepare my nursing body for the fast? I can't just not nurse the whole day b/c I will fill up with milk. Please help!

cuffs

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 4:10 pm
Take kalie tzom for nursing
I took it when I fasted with a 4 week baby nursing full time
It bH really really helped me
I also have very hard time fasting while nursing I'm so nervous for Yom Kippur

sky

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 4:11 pm
drink, drink, drink, drink, drink, ....
Powerade can help tons. Drink tons, starting at least 3 days before.
I go through bottles of powerade before.

Be sure to speak to your rav about what to do if you feel faint, there should be very clear guidlines. How much to eat\drink, when to limit once feeling better, how much to eat\drink after. call your rav know when he isn't as busy as eruv yom kippur and will have more time to talk.

cuffs

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 4:20 pm
I one time drank a crazy amount of powerade and Gatorade before a fast. Like 4 bottles. And it was my worst fast ever. My head was pounding the entire time. It must have been too much for my body. I would recommend drinking powerade before the fast but not bottle after bottle if you never really drink it.
Just my personal experience.
I know a lot of people do it and it helps them though.

chatz

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 4:29 pm
What I've read and done and it works for me:
For three days before, drink a lot extra, mostly water. Mix in some Powerade/Gatorade/sports drink, but not excessively and mostly the day before.

miami85

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 5:12 pm
I also like the kali tzom. It helps your body retain the water so you pass it slowly and stay hydrated. Also keep in mind that your main avoda of the day is fasting more than davening. So try to set it up that you can rest, and set up activities if you have older kids that you can sit down.

tee312

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 5:28 pm
I have been building up a pumped stash of breastmilk and help to only have to nurse one or two times

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 6:11 pm
http://www.shaklee.com/us/en/s.....ancep

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 6:57 pm
I'm pregnant and going on iv w fluids, caffeine and Tylenol

Esther23

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 8:28 pm
Shaklee performance hydration drink is excellent. I drink it throughout the day before the fast. Take your vitamins- multi, B-complex, calcium-magnesium. Eat very well before the fast- complex carbs and proteins throughout the day with plenty of watery fruits and vegetables like watermelon, grapes, cucumbers.... Those will retain the water in you longer than plain water.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 8:34 pm
OP here. Thanks for the replies. Some questions, what is kalie tzom and where can I find it? Also, I have pumped milk, but how can I get away with pumping only twice? Won't that hurt and make me feel like I have to nurse? As for the other kids, I don't know, if I don't get a babysitter, dh might not be able to go to shul . . . Last time I almost fainted so I don't know if I should even try getting out of bed most of the day.
I hate powerade, can vitamin water have the same affect?
Thanks!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 8:43 pm
Nurse only when you feel full

cuffs

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 1:20 am
Kali tzom are these pills that are mixed herbs, it's natural. You can get them at any Jewish pharmacy or at the checkout lines in the frum grocery they always have. I don't know if you live out of town.
The blue pack is for nursing
It really helps.
I'm so surprised people don't know about it I thought everyone takes it Smile

5*Mom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:44 am
Please don't make any assumptions about what you must or must not do on Y"K and call your posek to clarify what the halacha is for you in your specific situation.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:57 am
Lots of almond butter beforehand has really helped me. drizzle with honey to make it more palatable. Grape juice is more hydrating than water.
I have the Pele Tzom drops- they help a lot. My husband got them in Jerusalem though... No address or contact info on the bottle, only that it was formulated by a homeopath and a naturapath.

ImaLAEma

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 12:07 pm
If you really almost fainted once, please call your LOR and discuss when and how you should eat if you have to. I once, early in a pregnancy, had to eat a little on Yom Kippur. If you have to (of course with guideline discussion with your rabbi), then you really should. You are not supposed to put yourself in a dangerous situation. And try to stay in bed as much as you can.

sky

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 12:13 pm
toward the end of the day you probably won't have so much milk. That would be a good time to give pumped or formula.

I don't know if you want to take this because it may be passed to the baby, I find caffeine suppositories with Tylenol help amazing, but I don't remember if I took it when nursing.
[Personally I found kali tzom made me nauseous once and I can't look at it again, My DH says it helps him a lot]

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 12:42 pm
I was going to start a topic but will ask here - I am nursing a 3 month old she eats every 3 hours around the clock. I will drink as much as I can in days leading up to fast. I also pump small amounts once a day to keep a stash in freezer (my body really only makes what she eats so I get like 2 ounces at the pump first thing in the morning). Anyway I plan to stay home rest and nurse her as long as I can feel her getting milk and she seems satisfied. I assume that around 1 pm or a little after my supply will dip. Once fast is over I plan to make sure I drink as much fluid as I can handle. My question is - when will my supply come back? How long after a fast does the milk regulate itself once someone is eating and drinking again?
Thanks

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 5:39 pm
I had a 10 day old baby one Yom Kippur, I made sure to pump bottles BEFORE yom tov and only nursed once or twice during Yom Kippur...drink lots and lots of water for at least 3 days before the fast...and at least one bottle of Powerade on erev Yom Kippur...,but call your Rav...he may even have tips ...they have lots of experience with these issues.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur