Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School for girl with learning probs

amother

Post Tue, Jun 28 2005, 1:15 pm
Does anyone know of a school (or home school program) in Brooklyn for a girl (9 years old) with learning difficulties (reading)? Does anyone know if tutoring is a better option for kids with learning problems or should they be put in special schools, which are extremely expensive?

Motek

Post Tue, Jun 28 2005, 1:47 pm
[quote="amother"]Does anyone know of a school (or home school program) in Brooklyn for a girl (9 years old) with learning difficulties (reading)?

a few things come to mind:

A woman named Mrs. David started a school for her daughter who is bright but had reading problems. It's in the Machon building - sorry don't have the articles in front of me with the info. I suggest you call Machon (if it's still open!) and ask them for the number

there's also Tiferes Miriam - don't know much about it

Quote:
Does anyone know if tutoring is a better option for kids with learning problems or should they be put in special schools, which are extremely expensive?

it's probably hard to say, having so little information about your daughter

so will just answer in generalities - in general, a child is MUCH BETTER OFF being in a regular program

it would be great if your daughter could get intensive help over the summer, to prepare her for next Sept.

Last edited by Motek on Wed, Jun 29 2005, 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total

sarahd

Post Wed, Jun 29 2005, 1:57 am
You have to have the child evaluated to see how severe her problems are and what the evaluator recommends. Sometimes intensive tutoring over the summer and/or during the school year can help, sometimes the resource room in a mainstream school will be recommended. Otherwise, the Ptach program (I believe there's one in BY d'Rav Meir) might be the answer. I think Tiferes Miriam is a high school, btw.

Motek

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 3:06 pm
here's an article about Mrs. David's school dated one year ago:

http://forward.com/main/printe.....21231

some problems with it:

Quote:
The school had three students this year, ages 8 through 12, and will double to at least six in September. David attributes low enrollment to the high tuition, which is $20,000 per year. She says she has received inquiries from about 35 families, but that affordability was a big concern. "It's very expensive, but I can't help that," she said.

another problem - from what I've read of her description of the school, she has secular studies first, not limudei kodesh

another problem - she considers dyslexia something you cannot cure or outgrow, and she says it is not an eye problem

there are experts in the field who would disagree with her on these points

the school is located at 1681 42 St. at Machon high school

Mrs. David's number at the school is 718-972-0170

lucky

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 6:16 pm
It definetly depends on the severity of the problem. An evaluation is very important to know the cause.
My daughter has gone for tutoring on the lips method. It teaches reading in a very interesting way. I have seen a drastic improvement.
Did u check her eye muscle coordination? My dd couldn't read till we did visual therapy.

lucky

Post Tue, Aug 16 2005, 6:19 pm
Information is power. The more knowledgable u are about her problem( the cause/treatment) the better a decision you will make I"H.

sarahd

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 1:40 am
Motek wrote:

another problem - from what I've read of her description of the school, she has secular studies first, not limudei kodesh

another problem - she considers dyslexia something you cannot cure or outgrow, and she says it is not an eye problem

Where did you see these points in the article?

Motek

Post Wed, Aug 17 2005, 1:44 pm
"from what I've read" referred to other articles of hers that have appeared in various publications (these other articles did not mention the hefty tuition fee!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics